collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do you have the right to moan?  (Read 17712 times)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Do you have the right to moan?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »
We are all different and every single one of us can point to equally valid reasons for being able/wanting to go or not. In my case, I've lived away from Birmingham since I was 13 and so have been to more away matches than I have games at VP. Some seasons I have managed a lot, particularly when I was younger, now I am more selective due to cost and other commitments on a Saturday. Plus often being away on business all week.

I consider myself to be absolutely committed to the Villa and as big a fan as anyone else. Having said that, and being honest, I have never had a problem with buying into the concept that certain fans are 'better' than me in the sense that they make a huge commitment to get to games and live and breathe in an 'actions speaks louder than words' sense the Villa more than I ever possibly could. DCF, Villajk and Frank come to mind on here as well as Dave W of course and many others. In turn, they deserve the spoils on the odd occasions we reach a cup final etc as regards tickets. I love the broad church here and I think it's great that we have such a huge variety of fans in different circumstances but all united by one love
Beautifully put richard.
UTV!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 06:58:27 PM »
Lambert out

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
Re being at the match I find I'm a lot more relaxed - a few beers help but the camaraderie of your fellow supporter makes the frustrations and defeats easier to bear and the victories all the sweeter.

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to express it. I don't mind hearing moans of people who don't go to the match as there have been lots of years when I've hardly gone and we're all one family. I suppose I do give a bit more time to someone who goes regularly - simply because they see more of the game/team and generally have a more rounded and interesting perspective.

However, fans of the "big" teams who have no geographical or family history with the club really grind my gears.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:37 PM »
Slight tangent but does anyone else find that, when at the match, actually watching the game, the nerves are far easier to handle than they are when watching on television / internet / even just following the score on a phone?

If you take two matches of equal importance, frustration, tension, one watched at home, one at the game, I always find the games watched at home way, way more horrible - I frequently end up turning the telly off and just checking the score after it has finished (and walking repeatedly around the house until I know it has done so).

At the match, I suddenly become far more zen about the whole thing.
Exact opposite to you, I think I will probably have a heart attack one day with the amount of tension I get at some games. QPR last season being but one recent example, even first half against Sunderland, did relax a bit later though.

Same here.  I think it comes down to what you're most used to.  Because I've spent a lot of time living away from Birmingham and even when i lived there I couldn't ever attend regularly my trips to games amount to about 2-3 a season (generally midweek games).  So I'm used to watching on TV/Listening/following on sky sports news, etc and have learned how to handle it.  At the games I feel like a bundle of nerves, I just can't get comfortable if it's a tight game.  I think my emotions are generally much closer to surface if I'm there as I get a lot more excited when we score as well.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »
I go down less but moan more than ever ;)

I am thou going down more this season so I am  hoping to moan less .

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »
Slight tangent but does anyone else find that, when at the match, actually watching the game, the nerves are far easier to handle than they are when watching on television / internet / even just following the score on a phone?

If you take two matches of equal importance, frustration, tension, one watched at home, one at the game, I always find the games watched at home way, way more horrible - I frequently end up turning the telly off and just checking the score after it has finished (and walking repeatedly around the house until I know it has done so).

At the match, I suddenly become far more zen about the whole thing.
Ha ha it's weird that. I spend ages trying to find a decent stream on the internet and then when I do get one I end up pacing the house and not watching it.

I'm fine if I watch at the pub though, very much like if I'm at a the match, much more relaxed and enjoy it.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 08:52:09 PM »
See when I moved to Stourbridge I watched a game at Olbiyun on the telly down the pub once.

We won, but after two fights the wife defused in mid flow I have steadfastly refused to watch a game with them again.

The Stripey ******.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »
I've posted on here at least twice, that I cannot watch the Villa live on TV.  I can accept (to a degree) a defeat if I have witnessed it live but, watching on TV is not the same, they can't hear me!

It's difficult to discuss the Villa with anyone over here they just don't understand.  Do I have the right to moan? Yes, I think so.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »
It's like saying you don't have the right to argue about politics unless you have lost your seat in a council election.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
The only way I think it makes a difference is, for me personally anyway, I find I can judge a game much better being there than I can on TV/stream. Because i'm not limited to watching what the camera is showing you can see a lot more off the ball stuff etc.

Pretty much the only non-attendees I have any issue with are the ones who stop going when we're shit.

Offline Garyth

• GM : 04.08.2015
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »
.... being honest, I have never had a problem with buying into the concept that certain fans are 'better' than me in the sense that they make a huge commitment to get to games and live and breathe in an 'actions speaks louder than words' sense the Villa more than I ever possibly could. DCF, Villajk and Frank come to mind on here as well as Dave W of course and many others. In turn, they deserve the spoils on the odd occasions we reach a cup final etc as regards tickets. I love the broad church here and I think it's great that we have such a huge variety of fans in different circumstances but all united by one love

Adding my $0.02* worth, I'm of a similar opinion. I've followed Villa since 1998, and would definitely consider myself a fan - but I've only ever been to one live match (it's a long way from New Zealand).  It's just not practical for me to get to games, and I really don't spend a lot of money on Aston Villa. Personally, I have no problem with the idea that some fans are 'better' than me... Full credit to them, and I certainly would agree with the idea that those who've stuck through rough times, home & away, deserve to enjoy the good moments more so than me.

Due to where I live, the social repercussions of winning & losing aren't as visible (or insufferable?) - there's just not enough workmates here who really care. So it probably also doesn't ruin my week as much when we lose -  but it also means I have less people who I can moan to. Not sure what that means in terms of my 'right' to moan, though.

On the other hand, I would feel a little bit disgruntled at the idea that I'm not committed. I'm sure there's not many here that would know what it's like to get up at 2 or 3am every Sunday or Monday morning to watch live football... Those bad defeats feel doubly bad at 8am when you're bleary eyed at work, without the emotional payoff that makes it easy to overlook the lack of sleep!

The 'not a real fan' thing has been done to death, but it's worth noting again that there's different ways of measuring commitment.

*NZDollar, so worth very little to you guys, obviously.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 11:45:43 PM »
How can having enough money and spare time to go to lots of games make someone better than you? Is how I look at it.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:19 PM »
I go down less but moan more than ever ;)

I am thou going down more this season so I am  hoping to moan less .

Surely it's the missus who should moan if you don't go down more often.

On second thought, as you were.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 12:01:59 AM »
I was a season ticket holder for many years from about 73 to 83. Nothing to do with our good years can I say lol. Was young and Villa was my life. Girl came along, shit she lived in London. I still go back at intervals to Villa but there has been very few times in recent times I have felt a feel of the club. Towards the end of last season, good vibes came back and lets hope that continues. I think Lambert is doing a good job, things have changed from Sir Ron, but hope he gets to see us perform some top football this season and defend better. I wont slag a player off usually but sometimes it is obvious that player is not trying, what should we do?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal