collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do you have the right to moan?  (Read 17718 times)

Offline claretandbeer

Re: Do you have the right to moan?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
Can't listen to Villa away games,the  pessimism,tension / fear is too much,stemming from local radio's (WM ?) use of a klaxon to announce a goal in the mid 80's, a time when Villa were prone to conceding late goals away.The level of noise indicated whether the home team had scored and they usually had.
Similarly,I'm not keen on updates on the score,switching my TV on  only when the final whistle should be about to go.I 'm more relaxed watching them at home or live on TV.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »
After 25 years of blood, sweat and almost constant disappointment, I gave up regular attendance, mainly due to commitments on a Saturday but also the way the game was going at the time.

I see no reason to return for more than the odd day out, once you get out of the habit it is difficult to go back. I started going down as a teenager when it was the highlight of the week, when I lived at home and was blessed with glass eyed optimism. Now I find other things to do, and from a football point of view cover local non-league for a community radio station. If I didn't do that, I'd attend the games anyway, I've grown out of top flight football and prefer junior football.

But Villa are my team, it never leaves you and despite the fact that I no longer pour money into the club I reserve the right to criticise when I believe the standards, traditions and ethos of our glorious club are in danger of being compromised.

And have a good old moan when they loose.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »
Slight tangent but does anyone else find that, when at the match, actually watching the game, the nerves are far easier to handle than they are when watching on television / internet / even just following the score on a phone?

If you take two matches of equal importance, frustration, tension, one watched at home, one at the game, I always find the games watched at home way, way more horrible - I frequently end up turning the telly off and just checking the score after it has finished (and walking repeatedly around the house until I know it has done so).

At the match, I suddenly become far more zen about the whole thing.
Definitely.
I can't sit down and listen and have to keep finding shit things to so I can come back 5 minutes later hoping that only good things have happened while I've been away.
Everton away last season I went for a big walk, but kept looking at my watch and wondering what the score was. Then one of my mates text me to ask if I was at the game and it must be brilliant because we were winning 3-1 with not long to go. I practically skipped all the way home trying to think how far up the table the 3 points would get us. I'd treat myself to a curry and crack open a few bottles of Oakham Citra to celebrate.
You know the rest.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
Does everyone of your posts contain an anecdote about your father/brother/sister/tutor/mother/uncle/teacher?

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
A lot of us moan about Small Heath but we don't go and watch them.

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
Does everyone of your posts contain an anecdote about your father/brother/sister/tutor/mother/uncle/teacher?
You can be assured that no family members were harmed in the making of this thread. :-D

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
I see no reason to return for more than the odd day out, once you get out of the habit it is difficult to go back.....

I personally disagree about getting out of the habit. I've lived abroad for 10 years - can't remember my last match - but if I ever moved back - I think I would be far more regular in my attendance than I ever used to be - guaranteed ST holder probably. Put simply - I miss it.

I think it also depends on the results and standard of football - no-one wants to become depressed/suicidal on a regular basis

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
I am a ST holder and go to many aways however I believe non attendees have as much right as me to moan. After all they are Villa and I am glad they are whether they come to VP or not.

Offline johnboy

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
Slight tangent but does anyone else find that, when at the match, actually watching the game, the nerves are far easier to handle than they are when watching on television / internet / even just following the score on a phone?

If you take two matches of equal importance, frustration, tension, one watched at home, one at the game, I always find the games watched at home way, way more horrible - I frequently end up turning the telly off and just checking the score after it has finished (and walking repeatedly around the house until I know it has done so).

At the match, I suddenly become far more zen about the whole thing.
Exact opposite to you, I think I will probably have a heart attack one day with the amount of tension I get at some games. QPR last season being but one recent example, even first half against Sunderland, did relax a bit later though.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
I hate listening to Villa games  live commentary on radio. Can just about handle watching it on TV but definitely prefer to be at the match.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 06:41:02 PM »
We are all different and every single one of us can point to equally valid reasons for being able/wanting to go or not. In my case, I've lived away from Birmingham since I was 13 and so have been to more away matches than I have games at VP. Some seasons I have managed a lot, particularly when I was younger, now I am more selective due to cost and other commitments on a Saturday. Plus often being away on business all week.

I consider myself to be absolutely committed to the Villa and as big a fan as anyone else. Having said that, and being honest, I have never had a problem with buying into the concept that certain fans are 'better' than me in the sense that they make a huge commitment to get to games and live and breathe in an 'actions speaks louder than words' sense the Villa more than I ever possibly could. DCF, Villajk and Frank come to mind on here as well as Dave W of course and many others. In turn, they deserve the spoils on the odd occasions we reach a cup final etc as regards tickets. I love the broad church here and I think it's great that we have such a huge variety of fans in different circumstances but all united by one love

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
I love a good moan.

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
I am a ST holder and go to many aways however I believe non attendees have as much right as me to moan. After all they are Villa and I am glad they are whether they come to VP or not.
This.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »
In that Verve song which led to them having to hand over all the royalties for ripping off The Strollling Groans, I thought that streaky, beak nosed chap was singing "But I'm here with my Moan".

I thought: fair play to him, so. Later found out he was moaning about his mould, which ruined it for me, frankly.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
Fucking right we can moan, and we have to moan louder sometimes because we're further away. That said, we were always drowned out by Risso in the past!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal