collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do you have the right to moan?  (Read 17644 times)

Offline Titus Aduxus

Do you have the right to moan?
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »
My Dad is forever complaining about his older brother moaning about the Villa and always says he doesnt even go to the match these days.

So do you have a right to moan if your not handing over your money and going to Villa Park?

Offline GarethRDR

Re: Do you have the right to moan?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
Everyone's entitled to their gripes, else you're verging on the realm of "I'm a considerably bigger fan than yow!" bollocks. 

Plus, going to matches isn't the only way to splash cash on the club.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
If you love the Villa you are entitled to moan. The rest of the world is not entitled to say a bad word about us, mind. There might be all manner of reasons why people don't go to matches, ill health, lack of funds, living too far away etc etc. This is not special pleading because I am a Season Ticket Holder so I put my money where my mouth is.

That being said people should not moan for the sake of it and I much prefer getting behind the team wherever possible. 

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
If you go to every game home and away does that give you the right to moan over people who only go to home games or only go now and again? Is there a sliding scale? What about total number of games you have been to or do you have to renew your right to moan every season?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
Lapsed, then yes. Probably. There are lots of reasons why some stop going, but they'll always have a deep-rooted passion for following the ongoing goings-on of the mighty Claret & Blue. Old fella two doors up from me stopped going a couple of years back (stairs/uncomfortable seats/transport issues/managerial disillusionment), but he probably keeps better informed than I do.

Never been, and not interested in ever going, then I don't know why such people even try to engage in football conversation. They don't know.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
We've always moaned.  We'll always moan.  It's what we do.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:59:42 PM »
My Dad is forever complaining about his older brother moaning about the Villa and always says he doesnt even go to the match these days.

So do you have a right to moan if your not handing over your money and going to Villa Park?

Of course you do.

Oh, and this thread will descend into a ruck within three pages.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
The key for me is you have to be a Villa fan. No one else can even suggest there is anything slightly wrong with our club.

The 'better fan than you' issue is one I always find interesting. If you go to all the games then surely you are a better fan than someone who picks up the paper on a Monday and notes the score.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »
Of course they do. Not all Villa fans can attend games. There are plenty of overseas supporters.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
Slight tangent but does anyone else find that, when at the match, actually watching the game, the nerves are far easier to handle than they are when watching on television / internet / even just following the score on a phone?

If you take two matches of equal importance, frustration, tension, one watched at home, one at the game, I always find the games watched at home way, way more horrible - I frequently end up turning the telly off and just checking the score after it has finished (and walking repeatedly around the house until I know it has done so).

At the match, I suddenly become far more zen about the whole thing.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Gnasher was always good value on this subject.

I agree it is much easier to suffer a tough game at the ground than at home. I'm comparably relaxed at VP compared to the bundle of nervous energy I become at home.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »
Slight tangent but does anyone else find that, when at the match, actually watching the game, the nerves are far easier to handle than they are when watching on television / internet / even just following the score on a phone?

If you take two matches of equal importance, frustration, tension, one watched at home, one at the game, I always find the games watched at home way, way more horrible - I frequently end up turning the telly off and just checking the score after it has finished (and walking repeatedly around the house until I know it has done so).

Absolutely! If I'm listening to an away game on WM I am in and out of the loo all afternoon!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »

Absolutely. Much better for the blood pressure. Although the 4 mile walk to the pub, the 3 pints of Ubu pre match, and the half bottle of smuggled claret for in match refreshment possibly enter the equation.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »

Definitely less stressful when you're actually at the game but I put that down to the three large glasses of wine I've drank prior to it

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 05:17:46 PM »
The key for me is you have to be a Villa fan. No one else can even suggest there is anything slightly wrong with our club.

The 'better fan than you' issue is one I always find interesting. If you go to all the games then surely you are a better fan than someone who picks up the paper on a Monday and notes the score.

Agree with the first paragraph; that goes doubly for "supporters" of other clubs*, who have never attended any form of match, who feel they have the right to gloat/whine when we play them. * Usual suspects.

Not sure about "better" fans, if you attend matches then I think it gives some kudos but so many people say they are supporters of a team but never actually go anywhere near the club I wonder what they get out of it. It has always been the live experience that did it for me. I missed a decade when I had no money but still went to at least one game a season, it's just about priorities I suppose.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal