collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: infamous Villa supporters  (Read 19857 times)

Offline ez

Re: infamous Villa supporters
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »
Is it worth considering that maybe some of these "infamous" fans wouldn't actually want to be in a book?

Wolfie, for example, clearly has a number of issues which go beyond him being "a bit of a character" like many people would be. Maybe it wouldn't be best for him to find himself in a book?

I've no idea if he was going to be included, but he just struck me as the most obvious example.

Not laying down the stroppy busybody line or owt, but just a genuine concern that crept into my head.
I don't know why he's considered infamous either.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »
Is it worth considering that maybe some of these "infamous" fans wouldn't actually want to be in a book?

Wolfie, for example, clearly has a number of issues which go beyond him being "a bit of a character" like many people would be. Maybe it wouldn't be best for him to find himself in a book?

I've no idea if he was going to be included, but he just struck me as the most obvious example.

Not laying down the stroppy busybody line or owt, but just a genuine concern that crept into my head.
I don't know why he's considered infamous either.
Well, he is famous among us.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
Whilst googling that Bobby Sands Villa thing, I came across this article, about the least likely member of the Barmy Army

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/jan/25/martin-mcguinness-love-of-cricket

quite amazing the stuff your lean about on H+V

Seconded. 

Still he's following a familiar life path from angry young man to contented OAP: terrorist-statesman-happy to beat his former imperialist masters in the game of Empire.

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2013, 05:47:21 AM »
I can think of plenty of infamous VIlla .

The  Greek , Cockney. Dave in his Mac and steel toecaps .

The steamer who went on too own a football league club .

Mac the sock gave me two pairs of Northampton shorts and a bin! I got to have a kick around on the pitch that they shared with the cricket club.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2017, 12:45:21 AM »
Anyone remember the young Teddy boy who used to stand  about 2/3rds up the Holte (middle)  in the late 70's.  A  lot of lads bullied him silly - he may have been soft but a Villa fan he was.

As for Cockney Dave where do you start.   Can't really remember him going anywhere really dodgy like Leeds, Liverpool etc.  He used to make me laugh though as he could never grasp the words to a song.  He oused to wear army boots  and that damm trench coat.  He wasn't really a cockney - more home countries.

Another home countries nut was John a middle age guy in the mid 70's - always got told not to bother with him but found him quite amusing.

Surprised no one has mentioned  Groombridge with his bowler hat.  People wrap on about Pete the Greek, but this lad  was more frightening to anyone who didn't know him. 

From my age group you would have to mention Moses (Lincoln) - in the earlier days would go the game with a  ginger lad.  If I am not mistaken Moses was  originally a  Leeds fan and his mate a Man Utd fan - what a  combination.  These  two were football nuts and unfortunately Danny's book doesn't really do Moses  credit as he was much more into the football than the trouble.  He has been unwell recently so I hope he is on the mend.

The other lad who needs a mention is Neil the Skinhead from the 70's/80's who never missed  and was far more sensible and indeed knew loads about the Villa than anyone has ever given him credit. 

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
Anyone remember the young Teddy boy who used to stand  about 2/3rds up the Holte (middle)  in the late 70's.  A  lot of lads bullied him silly - he may have been soft but a Villa fan he was.

As for Cockney Dave where do you start.   Can't really remember him going anywhere really dodgy like Leeds, Liverpool etc.  He used to make me laugh though as he could never grasp the words to a song.  He oused to wear army boots  and that damm trench coat.  He wasn't really a cockney - more home countries.

Another home countries nut was John a middle age guy in the mid 70's - always got told not to bother with him but found him quite amusing.

Surprised no one has mentioned  Groombridge with his bowler hat.  People wrap on about Pete the Greek, but this lad  was more frightening to anyone who didn't know him. 

From my age group you would have to mention Moses (Lincoln) - in the earlier days would go the game with a  ginger lad.  If I am not mistaken Moses was  originally a  Leeds fan and his mate a Man Utd fan - what a  combination.  These  two were football nuts and unfortunately Danny's book doesn't really do Moses  credit as he was much more into the football than the trouble.  He has been unwell recently so I hope he is on the mend.

The other lad who needs a mention is Neil the Skinhead from the 70's/80's who never missed  and was far more sensible and indeed knew loads about the Villa than anyone has ever given him credit. 

I was in the London Lions from 1985-88 and some of the older fellas used to talk about him, usually referring to fighting in the 70s. I had never heard of him in Brum but these Londoners painted a picture of a tough, scary bloke. IIRC they said he lived in Daventry back then but used to travel to most games.

Offline ez

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »
Probably not what you want for the book but I've seen the woman in this article at our matches being very vocal.

http://www.stratford-herald.com/53559-woman-jailed-for-690000-carer-con.html

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
I believe she was known on Twitter as Villa Bitch.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »
I have met some loons at the villa but she was on another level.  I once sat  next to her at at man city and she was vile, offensive - I am certainly not a politically correct person but she is probably my least loved villa fan I have ever met

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2017, 12:57:05 AM »
I believe she was known on Twitter as Villa Bitch.

That was her name on the back of her shirt

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
I remember late 70''s deciding to go to west ham away. I bumped into a mate on the Friday night who said he could get us a lift down to London.  I rocked up in town to find the lift was the steamers coach. An eye opener doesn't do it credit !! With some cock up to where the coach dropped us I spent the entire 90 mins in the north bank with west ham. I swore I would never go back there but I did for the 6th round cup game that turned into another experience.

Offline steamer

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Ahh the coaches.
A special mention for Sealandair, they must have been the tolerant transport company ever.
A phone call on Thursday, Have a coach (sometimes two) meet us at the back of New Street station on Saturday Morning.
Cash in hand, no questions asked.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
I remember late 70''s deciding to go to west ham away. I bumped into a mate on the Friday night who said he could get us a lift down to London.  I rocked up in town to find the lift was the steamers coach. An eye opener doesn't do it credit !! With some cock up to where the coach dropped us I spent the entire 90 mins in the north bank with west ham. I swore I would never go back there but I did for the 6th round cup game that turned into another experience.

Did I miss much the 6th round I got thrown out at the same time as a certain person from handsworth.   In the league after that I always paid extra to get in the enclosure it really was that bad the experience and I know a lot of West Ham lads from ilford from where I was brought up

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2018, 05:37:33 PM »
Ahh the coaches.
A special mention for Sealandair, they must have been the tolerant transport company ever.
A phone call on Thursday, Have a coach (sometimes two) meet us at the back of New Street station on Saturday Morning.
Cash in hand, no questions asked.

Like I say I only went on a steamers coach once but I totally agree with you about how the coach company would put up with things no one else would. I'm sure if we had said to the driver here's a few quid we need to stop off on the way and rob a bank he wouldn't have batted an eyelid just simply said....which bank ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal