collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: infamous Villa supporters  (Read 19860 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: infamous Villa supporters
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
Whilst googling that Bobby Sands Villa thing, I came across this article, about the least likely member of the Barmy Army

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/jan/25/martin-mcguinness-love-of-cricket

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
Whilst googling that Bobby Sands Villa thing, I came across this article, about the least likely member of the Barmy Army

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/jan/25/martin-mcguinness-love-of-cricket

quite amazing the stuff your lean about on H+V

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »
My vote goes to Jesus Dave.

Is that the guy that stood 3/4 of the way back on the right side against the central fence that ran up the middle of the Holte? Always seemed to be singing on his own and shouting "Jesus Loves the Villa".

There was also an old lady that lived near me in Kings Norton who stood at the front of the Holte. I think her name may have been Cynthia. She must have been well into her 60's during the title winning season. She wore a coat that was covered in Villa badges which must have weighed her down! She was pulled out of the crowd at the civic reception and was up on the balcony with the players and officials.

Somebody said that Peter Withe used to give her his sweat bands at the end of the game in exchange for a bag of sweets although I never saw it happen but Withe often went to the Holte at the final whistle. I would have thought she was long dead by now.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 10:17:58 PM »
Peter Withe has bags of sweets at the end of this clip.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
I seem to to remember in the early eighties the Evening Mail awarding a weekly 'Peter Withe Bag Of Sweets' prize. I can't quite remember who you had to be or what you had to do to get it though.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
Withe always got his sweets at the final whistle from a lady who sat in the Witton Lane stand at the corner of the Holte.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »
Withe always got his sweets at the final whistle from a lady who sat in the Witton Lane stand at the corner of the Holte.

Correct. I read somewhere that she worked at Cadburys but on the one occasion I caught some that he threw into the Holte they were liquorice allsorts. Yuk!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »
Is it worth considering that maybe some of these "infamous" fans wouldn't actually want to be in a book?

Wolfie, for example, clearly has a number of issues which go beyond him being "a bit of a character" like many people would be. Maybe it wouldn't be best for him to find himself in a book?

I've no idea if he was going to be included, but he just struck me as the most obvious example.

Not laying down the stroppy busybody line or owt, but just a genuine concern that crept into my head.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
Good point.   Booby Sands might be a bit difficult to get hold of too, short of holding a seance.

Offline ez

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 09:47:06 PM »
I think Bobby Sands was supposed to be a Villa fan.

Time for the old joke, well he was from Nuneaton.
Shit on the H block, shit on the H block tonight...

Offline TonyD

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
We've got a werewolf!
We've got a werewolf!!
You aint!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
Good point.   Booby Sands might be a bit difficult to get hold of too, short of holding a seance.

Derek Acorah would be glad of the work.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »
Is it worth considering that maybe some of these "infamous" fans wouldn't actually want to be in a book?

Wolfie, for example, clearly has a number of issues which go beyond him being "a bit of a character" like many people would be. Maybe it wouldn't be best for him to find himself in a book?

I've no idea if he was going to be included, but he just struck me as the most obvious example.

Not laying down the stroppy busybody line or owt, but just a genuine concern that crept into my head.

There are plenty of us who did things 30 years ago we try and laugh off these days. Was out with a couple of old mates recently and we tried totting up how long we would have been inside if caught for the various misdemeanours we visited on society -  we are all "pillars of society" these days...

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
I remember being at a midweek match at Elland Road in the (I think) late 80's and it was terrible match with a fairly small Villa following. There was a very drunk bloke who provided the best entertainment of the night singing his version of 'Mustang Sally' for almost the entire 90 minutes, he was belting it out and eventually people were joining in with 'ride, sally ride'. Whenever I hear the song it makes me think of Elland Road.

Might it have been the 0-0 game in 1997?  I was at that and Mustang Sally is the only thing I can remember about that game, other than the league cup final replay was at Hillsborough on the same night (I think MartinO'Neiil'sLeicester won it).

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 03:54:16 AM »

There are plenty of us who did things 30 years ago we try and laugh off these days. Was out with a couple of old mates recently and we tried totting up how long we would have been inside if caught for the various misdemeanours we visited on society -  we are all "pillars of society" these days...

Correct !  for a period of my life I could comment  as much about the off field shenanigans as I could about the primary reason for going to Football .

The Everton lg cup thread , I decided not to comment on because of that reason .   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal