collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst refereeing decisions you've seen go against us?  (Read 30037 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Worst refereeing decisions you've seen go against us?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
Anyone remember that reg in the Intertoto when we played Celta Vigo at the Hawthorns?  Never seen such a display of utter incompetence to the point where both sides and sets of supporters were closer to laughter than anger.

He even blew the final whistle too early and the linesman had to tell him there was still 5 minutes to play.

Yes, he was probably the worst ref ever, but at least he was dreadful for both sides. Blew up after 85 minutes, sent off the wrong players and so on. But he was so bad that it was funny. Oh and I think Benni McCarthy scored against us.

Benni McCarthy - do   you think we have a chance of signing him?

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »
Remember the Hawthorns Celta Vigo game. One player was sent off for taking a throw-in, I think.

I hope the memory banks are correct, but I went to Derby v Villa at the Baseball Ground sometime in the 70's - Villa "scored", but the net wasn't properly tied down behind the goal line and the ball popped out of the back of the net. No goal given. Anyone else see this?
Yep - my first away game. It was just after Bruce Rioch moved to Derby from Villa. We lost 1-0 IIRC charlie George getting the only goal that counted.

Offline ventnor villain

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
One for those with longer (bitter memories) - League Cup semi 1st leg at Goodison in 1984. 1-0 down - header from a Villa player from a corner (can't remember who), saved on the line by the plaster cast on Kevin Richardson's arm. They went on to win 2-0 and we won the second leg 1-0 (Rideout).

Seen by the whole ground apart from the referee.

Good shout. I remember that one too. It was from a Gary Shaw header if my memory is correct. What was worse was the fact that he didn't see it as a penalty, but still saw it well enough to give us another corner.

Offline john2710

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »
Some notable mentions must go to;
Michael Oakes being sent off at Blackburn for hand ball.
Enckelman's goal of the season / decade / millennium at the Sty
Terry's challenge on Milner at Wembley
Seem to remember Man U taking & scoring from a free kick about 20 yards from where the foul was & their inevitable comeback as a consequence.

But the worst piece of refereeing, by some distance, has to be Halsey's assist for Henry's free kick. The most blatant piece of favouritism I've seen on a football pitch. Watching that clip still boils my piss. The cnut actually encourages Henry to take it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:42:39 PM by john2710 »

Offline jeowje

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »
Tim Sherwood using his arm to control the ball blatantly in the build up to scoring the winner for blackburn, completely ignored by the ref, who had also sent off Michael Oakes for NOT handling the ball outside his area, replays clearly showed. Scimeca had equalised minutes before the late winner.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »
Anyone remember that reg in the Intertoto when we played Celta Vigo at the Hawthorns?  Never seen such a display of utter incompetence to the point where both sides and sets of supporters were closer to laughter than anger.

He even blew the final whistle too early and the linesman had to tell him there was still 5 minutes to play.

Yeah,  I remember this. An incredible game for several reasons, the joke of a ref being one, Steve Stone pissing blood from his face being another.

Dieter Schock from Switzerland.  Should never have been allowed out the country of cuckoo clocks  and after UEFA got the report I don't think he was. Total bonkers mental nutcase, one of the funniest nights I've ever had in a football ground. 

Offline ventnor villain

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
Home game against Forest 77/78 season. The score was 0-0 when Kenny "blue nose bastard" Burns clawed a header from Sid back from about two feet behind the goal line with his hand. Missed by ref and linesman. Forest went up the other end and scored. Still makes my blood boil even now, 35 years later. I think it's because of who was involved.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
Home game against Forest 77/78 season. The score was 0-0 when Kenny "blue nose bastard" Burns clawed a header from Sid back from about two feet behind the goal line with his hand. Missed by ref and linesman. Forest went up the other end and scored. Still makes my blood boil even now, 35 years later. I think it's because of who was involved.

Yes, remember that aswell. Forest won the League that year and I think the winner was in the last minute at the Holte from Tony Woodcock. I was in the North Stand that night and it was a long way over the line.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »
The Halsey/Arsenal decision was the one for me.  I left the ground feeling genuinely robbed of the money I'd paid to get in - it was beyond diabolical.  It shows how referees (as if we didn't know already) can completely dictate the result of a match.  I'm still shaking my head thinking about it.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »
In all the ridicule that we endured for conceding the goal and not knowing the rule ourselves (so somewhat deserved ridicule to be fair) , David Ellarey got away with hardly any criticism for the Enckelman goal. On the other side of the coin, if the ref had sent off all the Barcelona players he should have done in the super cup at VP, the game would have been abandoned.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »
The Halsey/Arsenal decision was the one for me.  I left the ground feeling genuinely robbed of the money I'd paid to get in - it was beyond diabolical.  It shows how referees (as if we didn't know already) can completely dictate the result of a match.  I'm still shaking my head thinking about it.

I remember Mac posted a photoshopped gif of a gleeful Halsey watching the free kick being taken wearing an Arsenal shirt.

Offline glasses

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
One that still pisses me off, and possibly because I had several discussions about this with a brummie red in the weeks after, is Gerrard diving to win the free kick against us on the first day of the season a few years ago. Blatant dive, punished by an outstanding free kick in all fairness, but such a feeling of being cheated out of a credible point. (they were a good side then)

The following week they played Chelsea, and justice was served in sorts as Chelsea cheated them out of a win with a dive for a penalty or something, to which the brummie red was gutted and all 'we should be top of the league and have been cheated out of two points' At every opportunity i pointed out that their points tally was correct and that he was a dick.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
My dad says a ref blew up for full time, as a shot was about to go over the line

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
My dad says a ref blew up for full time, as a shot was about to go over the line

David Platt overhead kick at Stamford Bridge - ref blew for half time just before it hit the net.  We assumed it had missed and come back off the staunchion til we saw it later. 

Worst ref for me was always Elleray - any number of bad decision against us (Enckelman, penalty at Sunderland after a Sunderland player handled it), closely followed by Gunner Halsey and Dowd.

The Ashely Young "penalty" at Old Trafford two years ago  was bad too -cant remember the ref.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
We played Bolton, I think, in the MON era and just before half time we won a corner that was cleared with a punch by one of their defenders. The only person in the whole ground to miss it was the ref. It was laughable how it wasn't a penalty. Fortunately, for the ref at least, we thrashed them in the second half and we won by three or four.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal