collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: May 2014  (Read 12282 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: May 2014
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
This isn't hyperbole, or based on the result at the weekend. I have been arguing all Summer that we will be this years surprise package.

I see no reason to change my mind.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »
But oh for the days when at this stage, you knew that if everything clicked villa would challenge for the title or even the top four. I wonder if we'll ever see that again? I suspect not. Unless we get bought out by a sheikh

When would you say this was a realistic period? 

Late 70s/early 80s.

Given that we finished second under SGT in 89/90 and BFR in 92/93, both times essentially coming from nowhere, without spending huge amounts relative to the rest of the division, late 80s/early 90s would be a better bid?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
Looking at the fixtures, I would be expecting us to get some fourteen points from our last eight games. They are a decent set of fixtures to finish on.

In the Houllier year we picked up 15 points from a harder run in of eight games to finish ninth on 48 points.  In the McLeish year, we picked up five points from our last eight games to finish sixteenth on 38 points. If we can be on 40 points minimum by the time we play Stoke on 22 March you'd think we would be good for a late charge for top eight. Equally, if things don't quite pan out as we hope, if we end up in or around the same 33 points with eight games to go as in '11 and '12 you'd even still back us to get up to around 47 points and a possible ninth or tenth.

If we are on 33points  by the Stoke game then this season will have been another miserable struggle. I hope we can do better than that.

It was my worst case scenario....I think we will hit 54 + points for the season. Comfortably top half.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal