collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Great Merson interview on AVFC site  (Read 18521 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Great Merson interview on AVFC site
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2013, 02:55:14 AM »
Was his left foot that crap?

Offline supertom

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2013, 03:49:21 AM »

He often didn't need it. I remember him on a number of occasions running down the left wing then hitting a cross on the outside of his right boot into the box. Different gravy on his day.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
When we signed him the fee seemed a little excessive, I remember a lot of eyebrows being raised. What a good signing he turned out to be.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
Superb player who seems from a distance to be controlling his gambling and drink addictions (long may that continue). I don't watch Sky often but the times that I have seen him on it there seems a genuine fondness for the club. I remember his press conference in 1994 being particularly brave at the time. Didn't know there was a documentary about him - I'll have to check it out.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2013, 07:56:55 PM »
His book is quite revealing too. Not to the extent of God's but I do remember a passage where a few months after joining us in 1998 and us sitting top of the table he took advantage of an injury or suspension to go on a gambling trip to Las Vegas or somewhere in the US. Couldn't help thinking ''what a selfish twat" at the time but I guess his addiction problems took/take a long while to stop completely if they ever do.

He did fall asleep, half-pissed on a motorway a year or two back didn't he? I imagine he still has to be careful with his vices. He's lucky in a way that he's quite an outgoing, ebullient personality who Sky are happy to employ. Meanwhile the other Paul must be idle in Ireland a lot of the time.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
I loved him, one of my favourite players of that era. I remember sometimes he'd be running with it and then change direction and run in what appeared to be the wrong direction. Then 'bang' out of nowhere some audacious lob would hit the bar.
Class act.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »

He often didn't need it. I remember him on a number of occasions running down the left wing then hitting a cross on the outside of his right boot into the box. Different gravy on his day.

Different gravy for sure.

Berbatov was was pulling similar stunts at our gaffe last season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal