collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Great Merson interview on AVFC site  (Read 18542 times)

Offline Kevin Dawson

Re: Great Merson interview on AVFC site
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
Never realised quite how good he was until he played for us. One of my favourite players over the 35 years or so I've been going to VP. Remember him in a box in Witton Lane when we beat the Blues 5-1 - he was absolutely loving it!

Offline Darlo Dave

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
Never realised quite how good he was until he played for us. One of my favourite players over the 35 years or so I've been going to VP. Remember him in a box in Witton Lane when we beat the Blues 5-1 - he was absolutely loving it!

I remember a game he played against us for Arsenal, in the Brian Little (as manager) days. Think we were 2-0 up, and he took the game by the scruff of the neck, and was absolutely brilliant, as Arsenal ended up getting a draw, with a late equaliser. I realised then just how good he could be.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
Yet, wasn't he saying that Benteke should go to Spurs as they're a bigger club?

And also said that if we sold him we'd be in relegation trouble in the coming season.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
Pedant's Alert

"I remember I had concussion. I will never forget the paper the next day. Frank Bruno had fought Mike Tyson the previous night. They had a massive picture of Frank and I. I was smothered in blood and Frank didn't have a spot on him. The headline said: "Guess who fought Mike Tyson?"

Nope Tyson had fought Julius Francis.

I remember because it was best mate's stag do we watched it in a bar in Amsterdam and I won the sweep on round KO. Francis had his soles of his shoes sponsored by News of the World

Then watched the Villa match the next day.

There were 3 Villa fans and 3 Blues fans amongst others. We took their money when Benny got the 3rd :)

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »

I remember a game he played against us for Arsenal, in the Brian Little (as manager) days. Think we were 2-0 up, and he took the game by the scruff of the neck, and was absolutely brilliant, as Arsenal ended up getting a draw, with a late equaliser. I realised then just how good he could be.

I think that was either just before or just after Wenger joined .
Last 15-20 minutes he dragged us all over the place IIRC.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
What surprised me the most about the interview was him saying he enjoyed his football with us and being at Villa, more than any other time during his career.
I too have thought that he has come across very negative about us at times on sky, eg Benteke move to spurs etc
The Coventry game will always stay with me. I will never forget that during the celebrations in the holte when that goal went in, a guy behind me ended up being about 5 rows in front after stacking it jumping on seats. Good times

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »

Wasn't it someone like Nigel Winterburn that equalised in injury time for them? Savo with two for us?

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 01:15:23 PM »
I think part of what might sour his memories of Arsenal was that he had some of his worst troubles off the field when he was with them. By the time he came here he was now at the tail end of his career, but ended up playing some of the best football of his career, and consistently. Moving away from London also probably helped him somewhat too.
Given his ability he didn't really have as much of an impact in his younger days as he should have.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
I think part of what might sour his memories of Arsenal was that he had some of his worst troubles off the field when he was with them. By the time he came here he was now at the tail end of his career, but ended up playing some of the best football of his career, and consistently. Moving away from London also probably helped him somewhat too.
Given his ability he didn't really have as much of an impact in his younger days as he should have.

Yep should have been an England regular throughout the 90's but he was 20 years behind the times when it come to off field lifestyle - one of the reasons Wenger moved him on.

Anyway loved him at the Villa. Proper bums on seats player he was. Apaert from Benteke and A Young we haven't had many in recent years

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »
There is a lot of genuine affection in that interview.

I think a lot of players and managers fall in love with this club; only a few move on to win more, but nobody has ever moved to a better club in 139 years.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »

Wasn't it someone like Nigel Winterburn that equalised in injury time for them? Savo with two for us?

Honestly can't remember except we moaned the ref played too much injury time. I remember Yorkie had a chance to bring it into the corner and waste time but went for goal instead giving them possession for the last minute.

Offline Titus Aduxus

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 01:38:08 PM »
My Dad and my Grandpa will agree with Merson about Gareth Barry.  They are not at all impressed with Villa fans boo somebody who served the club so well.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »
It's funny but I often find him to be quite negative about us on Sky

Not sure about that. have a look at this;

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
It's funny but I often find him to be quite negative about us on Sky

Not sure about that. have a look at this;

Can't see YT at work - is that when he says we are bigger than Newcastle?

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 02:17:46 PM »
At the time he left Merson said something to the effect that GT had told him he was not guaranteed a starting place and the he (Merson) didn't want to be on the bench. He'd have done it for Arsenal, but not Aston Villa.

Maybe after joining Portsmouth he changed his mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal