collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Faulkner  (Read 9238 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Paul Faulkner
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 09:33:59 PM »
They must have been woefully short of alternatives, which doesn't surprise me one bit. Also isn't full time Chief Executive at Villa a full time role.

The bloke's a Grade A plum. He has been out of his depth since Day 1. Nobody and I mean nobody with a sense of footballing ilk and sanity would have hired TSM.

He was party to one mistake therefore he can't do anything right ever again. I don't know if you've noticed but things have improved a bit in the past two years.

No way he got credit for binning TSM and replacing him quickly with a candidate which was supported  by many fans.

He has been party to huge mistake in no succession planning for when MON left despite several months of prior grumblings. Hiring a replacement without an actual available start date. I'd also it would be nice to know if the 2 independent medical experts he hired (as surely he would have) to check on the health of someone who had previous serious health concerns are still practicing.

As for TSM, if you took that script to a film maker they would have turned it down as being too unbelieveable.

Do the 2 years include August 2011 until May 2012 because that was far from an improvement?  Also when you are starting at depths we have rarely plumetted to in the last 20 years then the only way was up, surely.

They have improved in the last 4 months for definite (on and off the field) but I'll wait to see if that is sustained over the next few years. And then I'll happily modify my opinion if Mr Faulkner's FA networking/brown nosing can be demonstarted as contributing to the success.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
They must have been woefully short of alternatives, which doesn't surprise me one bit. Also isn't full time Chief Executive at Villa a full time role.

The bloke's a Grade A plum. He has been out of his depth since Day 1. Nobody and I mean nobody with a sense of footballing ilk and sanity would have hired TSM.

He was party to one mistake therefore he can't do anything right ever again. I don't know if you've noticed but things have improved a bit in the past two years.

No way he got credit for binning TSM and replacing him quickly with a candidate which was supported  by many fans.

He has been party to huge mistake in no succession planning for when MON left despite several months of prior grumblings. Hiring a replacement without an actual available start date. I'd also it would be nice to know if the 2 independent medical experts he hired (as surely he would have) to check on the health of someone who had previous serious health concerns are still practicing.

As for TSM, if you took that script to a film maker they would have turned it down as being too unbelieveable.

Do the 2 years include August 2011 until May 2012 because that was far from an improvement?  Also when you are starting at depths we have rarely plumetted to in the last 20 years then the only way was up, surely.

They have improved in the last 4 months for definite (on and off the field) but I'll wait to see if that is sustained over the next few years. And then I'll happily modify my opinion if Mr Faulkner's FA networking/brown nosing can be demonstarted as contributing to the success.

Everything bad is his fault, everything good is down to someone else.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »

Except that is not what I wrote.

I pointed out (some of) his shortcomings. Lerner takes a huge portion of the blame for things which went bad in the first place, Faulkner was not going to be the person who was going to be able put those things right because he was in no way qualified. And that is what I cited.

If it transpires in the future there is documented evidence that PF advised RL to bin O'Neill prior to him doing one on us or to put in place a plan which could be actioned immediately in the event he left. If he vociferously (albeit internally) queried the health of The Reds' Greatest fan prior to him being hired and pleaded with RL to not hire TSM, then he would have done a much better job in the tranisitonal/recruitment arena than it appears currently. Albeit one where he was unable to influence his Boss effectively.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »

Except that is not what I wrote.

I pointed out (some of) his shortcomings. Lerner takes a huge portion of the blame for things which went bad in the first place, Faulkner was not going to be the person who was going to be able put those things right because he was in no way qualified. And that is what I cited.

If it transpires in the future there is documented evidence that PF advised RL to bin O'Neill prior to him doing one on us or to put in place a plan which could be actioned immediately in the event he left. If he vociferously (albeit internally) queried the health of The Reds' Greatest fan prior to him being hired and pleaded with RL to not hire TSM, then he would have done a much better job in the tranisitonal/recruitment arena than it appears currently. Albeit one where he was unable to influence his Boss effectively.

It's exactly what you wrote, and to say he should have anticipated O'Neill leaving when he did because of "prior grumblings" is ridiculous. Nobody had any idea that he was leaving. Whatever has happened since then has been the fault of many people, but as things now seem to be back on track, how about giving them a bit of credit? 

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
Imagine if a CEO tapped up other managers each time there were grumbling or disharmony at a club.  It's not practical and arguably grounds for constructive dismissal I'd have thought.

There'd have been uproar on here if Faulkner had done that whilst MON was in charge.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 12:21:33 AM »
You can come up with all the excuses you like for Faulkner, it won't make him any less ginger.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »
You can come up with all the excuses you like for Faulkner, it won't make him any less ginger.
What has 'ginger' got to do with it?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 12:43:27 AM »

He's strawberry blonde, so that means he has a soul.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »
Paul Faulkner is next up in our Live Chat series.

Villa chief executive Faulkner will converse with fans online on Wednesday August 7, from 6.30pm-7.30pm.

Faulkner has been a busy man this summer already, with six players - Leandro Bacuna, Jores Okore, Nicklas Helenius, Jed Steer, Antonio Luna and Aleksandar Tonev - all joining the club.

He has also secured the new contracts of Christian Benteke, Andreas Weimann, Nathan Baker, Brad Guzan, Matt Lowton, Ciaran Clark, Ashley Westwood and Daniel Johnson.

He has overseen the new home and away kits, the new commercial deals with Dafabet and Flannels and organised for Acorns to appear on youth tops this term.

He has seen Villa impress in the BBC Price of Football rankings and EPPP Academy ratings and brought in Simone Farina to advise our youngest recruits on morals.

As well as that, Faulkner has been appointed to the prestigious FA International Committee.

Now is your chance to quiz the club's chief executive on a wide array of claret and blue issues.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3331319,00.html

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »
How long into that live chat thing before someone asks him "what on earth were you thinking when you appointed McLeish?"?

I reckon less than 90 seconds.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
It would be the first thing I'd ask if I ever met him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
They only reply to some of the questions. When Okore was on they didn't do either of mine.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
I haven't had an audience with him since the McLeish fiasco.

Nice enough bloke, wet behind the ears was always my view in prior chats though.

In fairness, ever since TSM went they as a board have done little wrong.

At least they are all rowing in the right direction now for the first time in a number of years.

I look forward to a pint with him in the future to see how the last two or three years have changed him.

Well, if I get chance of course.

If nothing else, our board have always been well meaning, so some of the vitriol they catch at times is harsh.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
They only reply to some of the questions. When Okore was on they didn't do either of mine.

Did you ask him whether he thinks he looks like Arnold from Different Strokes?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »
I am gonna ask him about improving AVTV (IE: we should be showing full games not highlights ).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal