collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Views on new signings so far  (Read 15187 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Views on new signings so far
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
From what I've seen, I think Luna is the most likely to go straight into the team, partly as a result of who he's up against.

I did think Okore was the most likely. But he's only played 45 mins so far, was apparently a bit sketchy, and is only 20 years old which is very young for a centre back.

Bacuna has looked intermittently threatening and energetic, though he lost the ball a lot v Luton. I think he may start as back up to sylla and Weimann

Not seen enough of Tonev or helenius bar the latter's straight forward goals.

Though I've been pleased with our early business, there is a broad indication that we're happy with the side that finished last year. I'd have thought we should be looking to improve the first team not just the squad.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
Just reading Gary Neville's biog (I know I know) but what has struck me is his honesty about his own ability and that the Fergie Fledgling years were about hard work and team ethics ie how winning was instilled into them from a young age.  They were told Liverpool were the fancy dans and fancy dans didn't win anything. They all knew the ethos and they dared not step out of line. Result a team that wins not individuals. I suspect this is what Lambert is trying to do.  Upgrades are fine but only if they fit the ethic

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
Just reading Gary Neville's biog (I know I know) but what has struck me is his honesty about his own ability and that the Fergie Fledgling years were about hard work and team ethics ie how winning was instilled into them from a young age.  They were told Liverpool were the fancy dans and fancy dans didn't win anything. They all knew the ethos and they dared not step out of line. Result a team that wins not individuals. I suspect this is what Lambert is trying to do.  Upgrades are fine but only if they fit the ethic

I agree.  Somehow we need to raise the bar slowly across the whole squad.  Most of this can be done through good coaching and marginal gains (a la Team Sky).  Signing a player on big bucks to become an individual talisman is unlikely because as you suggest it could upset the balance of the whole squad.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 09:25:48 PM »
Fair enough, but I'm not sure we've a Scholes or beckham no matter what the ethos!
It's actually a serious point. I think lambert draws inspiration from Dortmund. But they've got a massive advantage: German kids are technically much better and far more numerous than English youngsters.

Offline supertom

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 11:49:28 PM »
Fair enough, but I'm not sure we've a Scholes or beckham no matter what the ethos!
It's actually a serious point. I think lambert draws inspiration from Dortmund. But they've got a massive advantage: German kids are technically much better and far more numerous than English youngsters.

Westwood and Albrighton. ;)

Actually Westy's pretty good at doing a latter day Scholes job for us (minus the godawful tackles).

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »
A lot of our kids now are foreigners though.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 12:51:09 AM »
I prefer not to take a view until I've seen them in the flesh, as it were.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »

I kinda disagree there. I think there are plenty of good, young, English players. I think the reason you dont see many Dortmunds (in Germany or England) is its bloody hard, requires a very special coach, time and a lot of patience.

Amazingly we are potentially in a position to follow that path and we actually have a fan base and owner who are willing to have the patience.

Think about it, last season lambert benched our best player, put us in the relegation zone, presided over the most humiliating defeat in our premier league history ,had us knocked out of a cup by Bradford , brought in a spurs offcast and a French League two player as his "fixes" in January and yet we STILL didnt turn on him.

His new signings are also likeable guys, even Benteke arguably the one with the worst attitude seems to be pretty affable and enthusiastic when playing, the rest always just look delighted to be there. This club is all in for the project, I am loving it.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 04:02:08 AM »
I prefer not to take a view until I've seen them in the flesh, as it were.

Far too early to judge any of them. I remember people on here condeming Sylla after his debut! It takes time for players to bed into a squad properly.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »

I kinda disagree there. I think there are plenty of good, young, English players. I think the reason you dont see many Dortmunds (in Germany or England) is its bloody hard, requires a very special coach, time and a lot of patience.

Amazingly we are potentially in a position to follow that path and we actually have a fan base and owner who are willing to have the patience.

Think about it, last season lambert benched our best player, put us in the relegation zone, presided over the most humiliating defeat in our premier league history ,had us knocked out of a cup by Bradford , brought in a spurs offcast and a French League two player as his "fixes" in January and yet we STILL didnt turn on him.

His new signings are also likeable guys, even Benteke arguably the one with the worst attitude seems to be pretty affable and enthusiastic when playing, the rest always just look delighted to be there. This club is all in for the project, I am loving it.

Which English youngsters would you compare to gundogan, reus, gotze, kroos, muller, draxler, etc?

Our youngsters have bombed out of every tournament this summer and previous summers. I think we've a bit of a crisis going on personally

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »
They don't need to be *that* good.  You're comparing us to two teams that just got to the champions league final, there are shades of grey in between which would reward us handsomely.

The Germans are currently better at coaching their youngsters, but culturally they're more inclined to give them games too.  I think the two things are somewhat linked.

Hopefully with St Georges Park, the new academies structure and seemingly a new appetite for investing in young players in this country we too might get better at the coaching part.  However I cannot see Chelsea, Man U, Man City or the like risking chucking kids into the money hungry Premier League whereas Villa can take that risk. 

Ultimately we cannot and never will be able to compete with those clubs financially so we have  to find a different USP in order to compete (a bit like Dortmund have compared to Bayern Munich).  Being the club that prioritise and get the most out of their young players (homegrown and scouted) can be 'our thing', our philosophy which separates us from the rest.  It won't be easy or a smooth ride but it's got to be better than being "Chelsea Lite".

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »

Which English youngsters would you compare to gundogan, reus, gotze, kroos, muller, draxler, etc?

Our youngsters have bombed out of every tournament this summer and previous summers. I think we've a bit of a crisis going on personally

Wait you want specifics? Dammit.

Ok, it is fair to say Germany is much stronger than us right now, but I genuinely do not believe we are that far behind.

The reason I poo pooed the notion of English players not being good enough is I feel it has been used as an excuse by England managers for too long (and blaming the premier league which is also nonsense). I think we DO have a crisis in international football but it is not with the players but managers. They have us play backward stone age football, we need decent coaches and managers imho.

England is a footballing nation, I think if you look at Lamberts ability to just scoop up players like Lowton and Westwood from god knows where, I take that as proof he is either a genius (unlikely) or there is plenty of talent out there if you just look and play them.

That make sense? Sorry, very drunk here in california.   ;D

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 08:21:57 AM »
I read lambert's transfer strategy as a bit of a condemnation of the talent coming through at villa and in England generally. He has a bunch of 21-23 year olds who were much feted coming through what is meant to be one of the best academies in the country.

What does he do? Brings in 6 players of a similar age from across Europe and bombs out bannan, fonz, Williams while most of us are questioning why he's hanging on to Clark and albrighton

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »
With regards to Gardner, we really need to be patient with him. I'm just hoping his injuries haven't killed him, he looked like he was going to be a special player.

Out of the new guys, Helenius has impressed the most, obviously with his goals. I just wonder if he is going to be backup or starting with Benteke. I don't think Luna is a massive upgrade on Bennett, but both have potential to be pretty good players.

Ive not seen Tonev or Okore and only saw Bakuna for an hour against Luton, he was pants. But not going to judge him on that. If the season was starting tomoreow this is how I would go.

--------------------------------Guzan-----------------------------------

Lowton----------Okore---------------Vlaar-------------Bennett

-----------------------Delph---------Westwood---------------------

---------------------------------Sylla------------------------------------

Weimann-----------------------------------------------Agbonlahor

-------------------------------Benteke----------------------------------

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2013, 08:36:51 AM »
The key to Lambert's transfer policy would seem to be that talent isn't enough without the right attitude. Perhaps the young players in this country have grown up with the attitude that they've 'made it' the moment they graduate to the seniors? Application, dedication and the right attitude can get you much further than natural talent alone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal