collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Views on new signings so far  (Read 15111 times)

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Views on new signings so far
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
Bacuna's crossing has been very good I think.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »
Bacuna can play all over the pitch can't he? I expect him to be the Holman in the squad this year, hopefully he can be a little better.

Offline Navin R Johnson

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 09:01:44 PM »
Steer did concede I'm afraid.   Last kick of the game at Bochum.   From the angle we were at it was impossible to tell if he got anywhere near a well struck shot.   Bacuna looks very sharp but the stand out player for me has been Gary Gardner.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
Matt Kendrick:

Villa now have eight injuries, including half of their new signings.

Jores Okore, Aleksandar Tonev, Helenius, Agbonlahor, Joe Bennett, Marc Albrighton and now Weimann and Bowery will be spending time on the treatment table rather than the practice pitches.

If you go on the Physioroom PL site, Villa are top with 9 injured players, just above Man Utd on 7!!

I think we've been top of that league for the last 2 and a half years.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »

What position has he been playing?

Offline supertom

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
Helenius has got a couple of goals. I expect he'll have a good impact coming in and out the side, and from the bench. I'm hoping the fact Tonev and Okore haven't had much playing time pre-season won't hinder them. I'm expecting plenty from both. Tonev initially as an impact sub you'd expect. Bacuna looks promising. Good energy, plenty of industry but some quality with it.

I'm confident that our bench will be far stronger next season. Gardner being back is a plus.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »
Is Gardener good enough to challenge for a starting spot? I know he's extremely well-regarded by those who follow the reserves closely.

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »
Is Gardener good enough to challenge for a starting spot? I know he's extremely well-regarded by those who follow the reserves closely.

We'll see, but I'd rather have him on the bench than Bannan. He certainly deserves his chance to show what he's made of. He could also potentially be one of a midfield three who could chip in with a few goals. As things stand though, I think Bacuna is ahead of him in the pecking order.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »
Thanks Tom. Definitely has a feel of BFR's first season in charge with the new arrivals.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »

What position has he been playing?

Various as far as I can tell, looks very versatile, but when he's found space on the wings his accuracy of crossing has been excellent.

Terrific to hear that Gardner's doing so well. A considerable talent and bloody unlucky last season. Hopefully this year is the breakthrough.

Online GarTomas

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
Hard to judge - Westwood started slow last year and ended up being a stand out performer.  10/12 games in is the time to be judging.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 02:41:13 PM »
Bacuna looks very sharp but the stand out player for me has been Gary Gardner.

Excellent and even better!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 06:57:55 PM »

Certainly if we keep the three central midfielders formation. Gardner hasn't blown me away in his appearance so far but at least he's someone who can actually run into the box and get on the end of things, he could easily have scored at Wolves and Newcastle in 11/12.

I'd still expect Lambert to sign an attacking central midfieler by the end of the window but GG is certainly an option for that role once he gets his fitness up.

Offline supertom

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
Bacuna I think will be a bit of a cult player. Probably like Sylla. The more I see Yacouba the more I like him. Bacuna was a little disappointing against Luton. A bit sloppy with his touch and passing, but he's shown glimpses of quality in pre-season so far. He's got some ability to go with his energy, but I'd guess he's gonna be one of those players that just needs to control himself a little better. That eagerness can just effect control and decision making. He'll learn that though.
As some of said, he's naturally the upgrade on Holman. Offers everything Brett did, but with more quality and age on his side.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »

Not from what I've seen. Not yet anyway. He's not adjusted too well to the pace of games, even friendlies. He may need a lengthy rehab period

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal