collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ongoing Defensive Frailties  (Read 52568 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Ongoing Defensive Frailties
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
Yep Clark is banned. Herd has a hamstring

I do tend to agree that if rather see donacien, but he can't be ripping up trees you suspect

He could go 352 again perhaps. Maybe sylla Lowton baker? Um. Really not sure!

Offline Merv

« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »
Herd is injured 90% of the time.

I'd have ML - JD - NB - AL with Westwood and Sylla as a midfield two stationed fairly deep. Three ahead of them and a striker. 4-2-3-1. Suits our plyrs best, that set up.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
Unless vlaar is able to recover in time, we face the prospect of a back four v Sunderland as follows:

Bacuna Lowton baker luna

I think that might be the worst back four I'll have ever seen villa play

I cannot see us getting anything out of a game if we have to play that way

The back 4 you mention above has to be one of the worst in my time but probably have to give that honour to the back 4 of 69/70   Mick Wright Brian Tiler Dick Edwards Charlie Aitken however Charlie was way better than Luna/Bennett but your right the probable back 4 for the Sunderland game is very scary.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
Both Herd and Baker seem to be ridiculously injury-prone. There doesn't seem to be a game go by without seeing Baker on the floor clutching something and looking anguished.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #334 on: December 30, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »
Baker has been ok on the injury front this season. He normally only lasts about 3 games before picking up a knock of some sort.

If Vlaar is back as is being suggested he might, throwing Donacein in with him and Baker in a back five might be the way to go for this one game.

Offline eastie

« Reply #335 on: December 30, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »
Last season we were told Vlaar would be back on several occasions and come matchday he was still absent - I'd be surprised if he was risked having been out so long , the sooner he returns the better but only if 100% fit and ready - we don't want a recurrence of the injury .

Offline RussellC

« Reply #336 on: December 30, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
What's worrying with Vlaar is that he picks-up niggles more akin to quick, attacking players than big centre-backs. It always seems to be a calf-strain, which you associate with players who are constantly sprinting and twisting and turning, not centre-backs who cover far-less ground and play a fair portion of their game in the air.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #337 on: December 30, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »
If Ron isnt 100% we should wait a while longer maybe until the Arsenal home game, that and the Liverpool game are not matches for the Clark/Baker central duo, lets bring back Ron when he is ready and not before, him being back in the first team is more important than Benteke returning.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #338 on: December 30, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
If Ron isnt 100% we should wait a while longer maybe until the Arsenal home game, that and the Liverpool game are not matches for the Clark/Baker central duo, lets bring back Ron when he is ready and not before, him being back in the first team is more important than Benteke returning.

If Clark was eligible I'd agree, but with the prospect of Baker being the senior Centre-Back I'd play Vlaar on crutches if needs be.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #339 on: December 30, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
I'd play Vlaar against Sunderland. Rest him for the FA cup game and Arsenal isn't until Monday 13th so ample recovery time to risk him playing.

Plus if he does suffer a relapse then the window is actually open to get a CB in on loan for rest of the season.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #340 on: December 30, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
We really need to avoid defeat v Sunderland so I'd play Vlaar if he looks vaguely fit. I think we'll lost the next two unfortunately, whoever plays.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal