collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ongoing Defensive Frailties  (Read 52632 times)

Offline The Left Side

Re: Ongoing Defensive Frailties
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 04:34:56 AM »
Wycombe's second reminded me of Bradford, shudder!

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
31 games since our last clean sheet, including the 4 friendlies so far.
I think this point tells the whole story. Ye its pre-season but we still do not seem to have any dominating control in the CB position. Okore looks likely to be the power house with pace. But only Baker has any dominance in aerial battles .........

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 09:04:23 AM »
Probably over thinking things, but after a brilliant season Guzan started to flap quite a lot in the run in to the season. I hope he's back to his best

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »
I'm not worried at all, our form the last 3 months of the season was a vast improvement and gets us well inside the top ten over a season.

Those 3 months included our defence you know, so don't worry.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
31 games since our last clean sheet, including the 4 friendlies so far.

Agree with most of you. Lamberts coaching staff have shown no inclination of being capable of doing their job correctly. Firstly at Norwich and now at Villa Park. They cannot sort out a watertight defence.

Its very worrying.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
I don't rate Clark as a CB, never looks confident.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
If one more fucker spells Clark's name incorrectly I call for a ban ;-)

or spells defence...defense.

Unless its Randy of course!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »
Let's not panic yet and we'll see what happens.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
do we think there is more business to be done ???

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
do we think there is more business to be done ???

Hoping so moley, wondering whether PL is looking at the bigger picture, seeing how we fare in pre season.
Then hopefully sell Bent,Ireland in the coming weeks, and snap someone up later in he transfer window.
I think Okore being injured has put a spanner in the works, would like to know where we are with all theses niggling injuries.

Just a food for thought, why so many injuries so early on, is this German tour to intense, surely it's a slow build up entering a new season....
I've played a pretty good standard of basketball in my time and you was never thrown in the deep end upon return of a new season, it was a gradual process readying all for first game.

Offline claretandbeer

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
Even so I think defensively we need work. My mate said the other day he didn't think he could set up a defence and I think he's right. Unless we sort it we'll struggle next season
In fact there is proof that Lambert can set up a side defensively. In his first season at Wycombe they finished 12th with the 6th best defensive record. Next season they finished 7th with the 5th best defence. At Colchester he came 12th with the defence again doing better with the 9th best record. Beginning of next season he took his mid-table side to Norwich,previously of the Championship,and put seven past them at Carrow Road.Without that score line his Norwich side would have had the best defensive record in that league.Turning round a defence that leaks 7 at home into the meanest is some achievement.
The return match ? Norwich scored 5 without reply.
In the Championship ,a higher league of course, Norwich's defence was the third best.In the Premiership,the defence helped them stay up,the 3 relegated sides had worse defensive records. Lambert has had to work to a modest budget at both Villa and Norwich.He can only work with what he's got or can afford to buy.If he had £20m to spend on a defender,I'm sure we would concede less.
What is of the most significance is the improvement each year in the fortunes of his 3 previous clubs.We mocked Savage's prediction but he was right that the players that Lambert inherited were relegation material.

Offline claretandbeer

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:03 AM »
Correction,Norwich had the 8th best defensive record in the Championship,but still a praiseworthy achievement for a newly promoted side.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 11:09:54 AM »
I will wait and see what our first choice back four does with both Sylla and Westwood in front of them, in a competative game before I start to worry.

Are people really questionning Guzan too? Yesh.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
Correction,Norwich had the 8th best defensive record in the Championship,but still a praiseworthy achievement for a newly promoted side.

Agree claret, PL does his work quietly behind the scenes and really does not have the monies he requires to make a quick fix.
Again, I just feel that this is now where he needs to make an impact, Vlaar and Clarke do not seem to be ideally suited together, Vlaar does not seem to be imposing himself enough, and unluckily for PL, Okore is injured already.

The last 3 months of last season were very enjoyable although pant seeping sometimes, our attacking was nothing short of outstanding but feel that we were always never safe with letting goals in the wrong end, (with the exception of the Sunderland game, lol).

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
We'll just outscore everyone. Chill.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal