collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ongoing Defensive Frailties  (Read 52541 times)

Offline warleyboy

Re: Ongoing Defensive Frailties
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 09:05:19 PM »
God forbid, Tekkers had signed for spuds, how would Vlaar and Clarke coped with the beast.
I hasten to think how embarrased we would have looked...

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
Lets not get too worked up about things yet people - poor goal to concede but we are still mixing and matching at the moment. Lets see what Okore is like and who he starts off with and how we perform then before getting too depressed.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »
Just preseason but yeah. Would be nice one if these games to just pick a half and shut up shop as defensive practice. We need that in our locker. The way ManU did it to us after going up 3-0 was a great demonstration.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 09:15:38 PM »
As has been said elsewhere, Vlaar and Clarke are our worst central pairing. Neither of them has the swiftness of movement to the ball or the physical attributes to win it if they do get anywhere near it. Both are just beaten so easily by moderate physical opposition.
Nathan Baker looks as if he can mix it but needs to come on a lot this season, and if Okore does not step up to the plate from the off then I can foresee some nasty results coming our way.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
Lets not get too worked up about things yet people - poor goal to concede but we are still mixing and matching at the moment. Lets see what Okore is like and who he starts off with and how we perform then before getting too depressed.

Understand what your saying Villan, but it is something in pre season I was expecting to see improve after our poor goal conceding record of last.
Like I say, PL is on top of things, the Benteke saga proves that, but I just hope he can make some headway with it.

There are going to be some games in this upcoming season when we are not going to hit the back of the net, but if we can keep a clean sheet, at least we can come away with a valuable point.

Offline BegbieAV

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »
Danny Shittu is available  ;D

Offline serbentoflight

• The Serpent Of Light
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
Danny Shittu is available  ;D

I can see it now...

"Shittu on for Villa, Shittu on'f Villa tonight"....

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »

Understand what your saying Villan, but it is something in pre season I was expecting to see improve after our poor goal conceding record of last.
Like I say, PL is on top of things, the Benteke saga proves that, but I just hope he can make some headway with it.

There are going to be some games in this upcoming season when we are not going to hit the back of the net, but if we can keep a clean sheet, at least we can come away with a valuable point.

Okore has barely played, lets wait until things are more settled and see how things are. I remember the sty crew winning some massive trophy in Spain pre-season many years ago and they were going to finish top six. They didnt win a game for months and got relegated. Lets iron things out now and go into season prepared

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
Ongoing defensive frailties ...FFS doom mongers are up early this season!

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
Ongoing defensive frailties ...FFS doom mongers are up early this season!

Olaftab, not a doom monger, just want to see some sort of improvements on last season.
Last seasons defending, poor, pre season defending so far, poor....
Need I say more...

Oh and yes Okore looks like he could be a quality defender, that still leaves inadequacy in Vlaar, Clarke, Baker.

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »
where in castle brom you from olaftab?

warleyboy, the first choice centre backs have not been decided yet, probably wont for another couple of games, take the positives that we are still unbeaten pre-season :)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »
The issue at that corner, same as when we were conceding from them last season (which dried up a fair bit from February) is that we don't attack the ball well enough.  It's the same reason we concede from crosses too often in general.  Clark and Vlaar are both more comfortable alongside someone more aggressive (it's similar to when we had Cuellar and Davies at the back after Laursen broke down).  Okore and Baker seem to be the aggressive defenders, with Clark and Vlaar the organisers, I think we'll see them form definite pairings as the season goes on, with 1 from each pot being picked regularly.

From the point of getting a coach, given what the deficiency is badges, etc. Laursen would be the obvious choice.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
Absolutely true Luton, don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying what's happening at VP, and yes we are unbeaten  :).
But the nagging issues are still currently there, and our pre season teams have been nothing short of unspectacular.
Can you put hand on heart and wager that we will not concede a goal against Luton on Tuesday night.

And we are talking Luton town from the conference league.

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 12:13:13 AM »
warleyboy, I agree with what you are saying, what I will say is Okore has not been there except for one half I think and maybe he is the attacking centre back as in going for the ball. I have a lot of faith in Lambert (didnt after Bradford) and think he can sort things out. I enjoy his football style and yes, I would rather now win 3-2 than 1-0, though will be worried. I actually enjoy watching Villa again now

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 12:38:49 AM »
If one more fucker spells Clark's name incorrectly I call for a ban ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal