collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ongoing Defensive Frailties  (Read 52634 times)

Offline warleyboy

Ongoing Defensive Frailties
« on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/premier-league/8833217/villa-draw-with-wycombe

How bad is our defense.
Surely Lambo can see our weakness from set pieces, time and time again.
What were Vlaar and Clarke thinking for that second goal ?

So what's the answer, and who currently is our best pairing.

This has got to be addressed before the start of the season.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Ongoing Defensive Frailties
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
It's pre-season.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
It's pre-season so not really worth panicking about yet, but if we do defend this season like last, we're going to struggle.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »
It's pre-season.

Correct, but take a look at the DVD of previous season, does it have an ounce of similarity about it.
Of course it does.
It maybe pre season, but like the subject matter, "ongoing defensive frailties"

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »
Even so I think defensively we need work. My mate said the other day he didn't think he could set up a defence and I think he's right. Unless we sort it we'll struggle next season

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »
Norwich were hardly great at defending when he was there

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »
31 games since our last clean sheet, including the 4 friendlies so far.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »
How about giving Paul McGrath a call and getting him on the coaching staff, or someone of similar vain.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
Mate and I at the game were stunned at the poor quality of the defending at the corner - we failed to attack the ball at the near post, and again at the far post.
We were stuffed by a pretty run-of-the-mill routine executed by a pretty poor side.

We need to better than this at set pieces and I hope we will be by August 17th.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
31 games since our last clean sheet, including the 4 friendlies so far.

Exactly Mr Shin, this is no coincidence, and how many goals have we allowed in from corners.
I'm a massive fan of Lambo and what he is achieving, but it has to be dealt with, and quickly.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »
First goal was a freak! Second goal could've been closed out - poor marking. Need Okore to add some steel in the middle of defence. On a different note the away kit is awful especially Brad's "pink" goalie top!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
How about giving Paul McGrath a call and getting him on the coaching staff, or someone of similar vain.

The thing with Paul McGrath is that he was such a naturally gifted footballer and his talents were such that IMO they couldn't be taught.  I think in interview once when asked how did he find himself in such and such a position to make such and such a tackle? he replied I don't know.

I had a young lad playing for me a few years ago who was much the same.  He was a natural and it was my belief that he could have had a future in the game but he wasn't interested.  I take your point though, we need someone with experience that has the ability to communicate the art of defending.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »
I like the look of Okore but it doesn't mean he's goin to settle immediately and end our defensive problems

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »

The thing with Paul McGrath is that he was such a naturally gifted footballer and his talents were such that IMO they couldn't be taught.  I think in interview once when asked how did he find himself in such and such a position to make such and such a tackle? he replied I don't know.

I had a young lad playing for me a few years ago who was much the same.  He was a natural and it was my belief that he could have had a future in the game but he wasn't interested.  I take your point though, we need someone with experience that has the ability to communicate the art of defending.

Totally agree Dave, I think the best players are naturally talented, and happen to be in the right place at the right time.
But, it wouldn't hurt to have that input, especially at the academy levels.

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure that concrete Ron cuts the mustard for me, I would expect this guy to be leading the line, a Mellberg or Laursen type.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »
When they scored their second goal I was immediately transported back to the Bradford games. A poorish team have a bit of a strength and use it to exploit our weakness, almost at will. And we seem to be unable to do anything about it.
Vlaar and Clark didn't win that much in the air today and looked pretty ruffled by their big centre forward on a regular basis.
Agreed that organisation is what's needed most. We looked a bit of a shambles at times.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal