collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our realistic target for the new season.  (Read 14366 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Our realistic target for the new season.
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 11:12:06 PM »
Top half and a trophy.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »
14th-17th. Squad is short of experience and proven quality. Having young exciting unknown players is great if they turn out good but can't see them making such a difference that we'll be that much higher in the table especially when our rivals are strengthening also.

From February onwards, I would say we were certainly top ten team. We have strengthened and not lost any players.

This is what I've had to keep pointing out to fans of other teams who I speak to. They have basically wrote us off for next season, we won't get much better, young team blah blah blah.

1st half of the season, very poor, 2nd half the team showed character and were much better. We won all the must win games and gave a good account of ourselves at Old Trafford, The Emirates, Goodison etc... there's definitely a lot to be positive about and no reason to think we can't finish upwards of 12th, Lambert has put his own stamp on the team now.

Totally agree with nearly all you say, except for Old Trafford bit as we let ourselves down there. I have confidence in the players being better for last season and a pre-season together, great that Lambert has got his signings (hopefully one or two more to come) in early and can get used to the way we play. We might not get many clean sheets, but I liked the football last season for the first time in a while

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
This thread needs a poll

richtheholtender

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »
I think we will be a lot better next season. However, I do think us fans should prepare for a season like last year. There has be a lot of changes again this summer, but I think it could be the last of it's kind for a while and we will just add the odd signing or two from next year.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 04:33:14 AM »
Sneaking into the top half would be realistic. A cup run without crushing disappointment wouldn't go amiss either.

that'll do for me too

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 06:30:48 AM »
Totally agree with nearly all you say, except for Old Trafford bit as we let ourselves down there. I have confidence in the players being better for last season and a pre-season together, great that Lambert has got his signings (hopefully one or two more to come) in early and can get used to the way we play. We might not get many clean sheets, but I liked the football last season for the first time in a while

Fair enough, I didn't think it was that bad considering, recall us having a fair few chances but I was a bit pissed when I watched the game.

Is there any way I can add a poll?

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 06:34:31 AM »
7th to 10th with two good cup runs, one ending up as winner.  Please.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 06:40:34 AM »
7th to 10th with two good cup runs, one ending up as winner.  Please.

I'd settle for this.

Just added a poll, only let me have 5 options, think those are pretty good.  :-\

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 07:01:07 AM »
I'd like to extend this to a longer time horizon and say I'd like Villa to win the FA cup in my lifetime.

Online avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
Top half, good football, a decent cup run and a few clean sheets would be nice...and not to panic after the first 3 games.

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »
I'd like to extend this to a longer time horizon and say I'd like Villa to win the FA cup in my lifetime.
I'd quite like them to keep a clean sheet in my lifetime.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 07:57:59 AM »
I think much will come down to how we defend. If we continue as we did last season it'll be very hard to be comfortably clear of the relegation places.

It's as much about lack of shape and discipline as individual mistakes.
You can't read much into per season but it'd be hard to argue that there are signs we're improving defensively from our games so far, even when we've played what looks like something close to our first choice back four.

We won't do it this summer but I wonder if we'll have to dispose of vlaar and Clark and get better players in to really improve. Both need to do much better this season.

We've got big hopes for Okore but I'm not sure tactical discipline will be his main strength

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
10 points between 8th and 17th last season even if we only get marginal improvement in defence I think we could go up a few spots.  we missed a really good opportunity in the cups last year  be lucky to get the same sort of run as last year so,,, double cup winners

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
With a recalibrated Benteke on board, we have a much better chance of improvement next season, which would otherwise have been a struggle. Everybody's concerned about the defence, and rightly so. Last year we must have shipped an average of at least two per game, and the neither of the defenders we have brought in are proven. We can only hope they click, just as we're hoping the likes of Bacuna, Tonev and Helenius will click.

We saw signs of improvement under pressure in the run-in last year, and all of us - players and fans alike - are buying in to Lambert's long-term plan. And that's the thing. It's long term. There will be few short term fixes, I feel, so a mid table finish would be a decent achievement.

I only hope the defence clicks while Benteke's still a Villa player, because if that happens we could be going places.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 09:27:06 AM »
Slide up and down mid table all season and a decent run in one of the cups. This will be another season of gelling and progress. I'm more excited about the season after.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal