collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delfouneso & Bannan  (Read 13338 times)

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

Delfouneso & Bannan
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »
Any news on what's going on with these pair?

Whenever outcasts who are training with the kids or alone are mentioned, it's Hutton, Ireland and Bent.

Are these pair training with them as well or are they with the main squad? I know they didn't travel to Germany, but they just don't seem to get mentioned..

Thought a championship side would have taken a punt on them by now if they're available

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Delfouneso & Bannan
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
Bannan was out of favour at the end of last season and looking at it objectively (I don't rate him) he still remains way down the midfield pecking order for what he offers so I expect him gone by the start of the season.

The fonz time has passed here really, part of it his fault, part of it managers reluctant to throw him in at times, part of it he's not good enough for the premier league. Weimann has surpassed him anyway.

Thought Albrighton might go the same way but seems Lambert will give him another chance as last season was disrupted by injury.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »
Bannan didn't go to Germany, which is probably a sign he's offski.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:10:39 PM »
I think Fonzie just doesn't cut it at Premier League level. Not his fault as such, just that he is of limited ability.

What I do find odd is that he is still at Villa.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »
No barbecue for Bannan!

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »
I think Fonzie just doesn't cut it at Premier League level. Not his fault as such, just that he is of limited ability.

What I do find odd is that he is still at Villa.

That's what I mean..

He doesn't get mentioned as training with the outcasts, yet he doesn't travel with the first team

Its like he gets paid to stop at home and just waits for a call from the club to tell him someone wants to borrow him for a few month temp work

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:17:56 PM »
Have Blackpool got any money, maybe they'll sign him permanently?

Offline supertom

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:20:50 PM »
Have Blackpool got any money, maybe they'll sign him permanently?
I dunno. He never really set the world alight there. Got something like 7 goals last season. Granted he played some games on the wing, which he's always looked really lost in. You'd have thought comparing Wiemann and Fonz that Wiemann would be the one who'd struggle more fitting in wide, but he's done very well, whilst Fonzie can't seem to do it.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 11:30:36 PM »
The Fonz has been 'the next big thing' for about five or six years now and still hasn't broken through despite all the youngsters getting a chance.

That ship seems to have sailed...

Offline supertom

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »
I don't think Fonzy knuckled down enough to be honest. I see him somewhere between Luke and Stefan. I don't think he'll end up back in the prem like Luke, but I don't think he'll drop as far as Stefan. But all three had more natural ability than Gabby without the fantastic work ethic and attitude. Gabby's worked bloody hard and as much as he gets some moans on here, his all round game has improved over the years. His passing is better, his hold up play is actually very good now, and he's worked on his touch a lot too. It's far from adhesive but it's not bad now.

In part perhaps Fonz earning 20k a week so young and so early into his Villa career probably made him think he'd made it. Ditto Bannan to be honest.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
Fonz and Bannan both have the natural ability to have decent Premier League careers. That extra something though is missing, be it work ethic, attitude, or whatever. Both will have professional football careers but at a far lower standard than it should have been.

Offline Richie

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 12:01:03 AM »
I was reading that Wolves wanted the Fonz on a seasons loan but seems to have gone quiet.

By the look of it neither are in Lambert's plans for next season.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »
As PWS says, I don't think talent is what Fonz lacks. He's skillful, decent pace and good finisher.
It's just that something extra he's missing and he hasn't been able to follow through with a consistent season at Prem or Ch'ship level. Not getting a decent run of games for us (four starts in a row under Houllier I think was as good as it got) or being shunted onto the wing at Burnley and Blackpool didn't help but sadly, cos I always rated him and believed he would go further than Weimann, you have to step up to the plate at some stage and he hasn't really.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »
Bannan's off to Blackburn permanently I think.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »
Bannan and Spearing in the same midfield? Sounds like a tall order to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal