collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New three-year contract!!!!!! – Ciaran Clark is he all that?  (Read 9229 times)

Online DrGonzo

Re: New three-year contract!!!!!! – Ciaran Clark is he all that?
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »
He is a good, young player with only 12 months left on his contract...would you rather we lost him for fuck all next summer?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
I'm undecided also but it's probably worth keeping him for now, he can cover about 3 positions so good back up

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »
He's had some good games and some poor games, but I think he could be a very good player.

As with Gareth Barry early on in his career, it's finding the best position for him. Defender or midfielder? Personally, I think midfielder, but it could quite easily be defender.

Offline supertom

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 11:41:50 AM »
Like Baker, half the battle for Clarky will be to cut out silly errors. If he does that then he's well on the way. I think he needs to beef up a bit too. He gets bullied too much, which is not what you want to happen to your center half.
Obviously contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on, but if Clark has an okay season, next summer we could conceivably flog him on for 4-5 mill if Lambert felt it necessary to change things up more.

I would also disagree with the initial poster. I don't think Clark is a midfielder. He doesn't have the mobility, and while he might be reasonable on the ball, he's not good enough in midfield. For a defender he's good. For a mid, not so. If he wasn't so slow I'd have him at fullback.

I think with a more settled side though, a lot of our younger players who struggled from the onslaught, namely CC and NB, will come through it stronger, and hopefully be more comfortable this season. Given his age and experience I felt Vlaar was most guilty at the back last season. We expected far more but he made a lot of clangers too. Kids at the top level for the first time consistently (the rest of our backline basically) you can forgive, it's expected. But Vlaar obviously had his injury problems and when he did play he was far from concrete. I expect him to be far better this season.

Offline supertom

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
Oh and I'm happy for him to get a new contract too. If Baker gets one, Clark deserves it. Bakers the more solid defender right now, but Clark has more potential.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
I'm a bit meh! about him signing a new contract.  I think so far there's been little to suggest he'll make it as a top class CB. I think he's made too many unforced errors and has also frequently been shown to lack the necessary strength, pace and anticipation.  Lambert obviously rates him enough to keep him, and there may still be a very decent player in there.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »
Like Baker, half the battle for Clarky will be to cut out silly errors. If he does that then he's well on the way. I think he needs to beef up a bit too. He gets bullied too much, which is not what you want to happen to your center half.
Obviously contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on, but if Clark has an okay season, next summer we could conceivably flog him on for 4-5 mill if Lambert felt it necessary to change things up more.

I would also disagree with the initial poster. I don't think Clark is a midfielder. He doesn't have the mobility, and while he might be reasonable on the ball, he's not good enough in midfield. For a defender he's good. For a mid, not so. If he wasn't so slow I'd have him at fullback.

I think with a more settled side though, a lot of our younger players who struggled from the onslaught, namely CC and NB, will come through it stronger, and hopefully be more comfortable this season. Given his age and experience I felt Vlaar was most guilty at the back last season. We expected far more but he made a lot of clangers too. Kids at the top level for the first time consistently (the rest of our backline basically) you can forgive, it's expected. But Vlaar obviously had his injury problems and when he did play he was far from concrete. I expect him to be far better this season.

A few chaps who sit near me at VP reckon that Lowton is not fast enough for a full back. 

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »
Seems that most people on here think he should be defensive midfield.

Maybe that is Lamberts plan. 

PL has explicitly stated that this is not the case in a Q and A session with fans just before the start of last season.

Offline supertom

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »

A few chaps who sit near me at VP reckon that Lowton is not fast enough for a full back. 
Put drawing pins on their seats mate, they're talking absolute twaddle. In comparison to Kyle Walker maybe but Lowts gets up and down that flank in more than good time.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
I shall reserve my judgement for a further 12 months. Aslong as he's been doing some work on his concentration on a brain training app it may be a favourable judgement. May ... be.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »

Very happy with this news. Not sure why the lad gets so much flak. Especially when Baker doesn't. Weird

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »
 A good player and someone who we have had to rely on over the last few years, probably all bit to soon so this is deserving for all that hard work. Well done.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
Defenders, especially centre-backs, all tend to peak later in their careers - the position is about practiced positioning and that sixth sense you develop through experience, that knack of knowing when something's about to happen and moving to prevent it. It's like firemen always know when a building is about to collapse: they may not think it specifically, but being in those situations has attuned them instinctively to the small creaks in the floorboards, the almost imperceptible wobbliness in the floor etc. And being a defender is rather like that.

Clark showed last season that he can make some exceptional interceptions and get into crucial positions, but that he can still balls up and make terrible decisions. Hopefully, with experience, the former will win out over the latter.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »

Put drawing pins on their seats mate, they're talking absolute twaddle. In comparison to Kyle Walker maybe but Lowts gets up and down that flank in more than good time.

They have a very valid point - despite his many decent qualities Lowton is slow and was skinned for pace quite a few times last season.  It's the one reasons I'm not as sold on him as many Villa fans seem to be.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 04:43:16 PM »
No. The club continues to dish out new contracts for no reason whatsoever. We were one game off from relegation no one deserves one imo.

How am I going to be an optimist about this?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal