collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New three-year contract!!!!!! – Ciaran Clark is he all that?  (Read 9228 times)

Offline Londonvilla

New three-year contract!!!!!! – Ciaran Clark is he all that?

Generally, under the circumstances that the Villa find themselves in, I am happy and contented with the decisions that Paul Lambert has made to date, taking into consideration no one gets things 100% right. However when he first joined us, I was disappointed when he made it clear that in his opinion Ciaran Clark was a centre half, when I believe Ciaran Clark is a defensive midfield player and can only play centre half if we go to 3 at the back.

Ciaran Clark in my opinion may have potential as a ball playing centre half if he’s playing alongside someone who is very very quick. He still has problems with his decision-making (this may get better with experience) and I do feel it was a good idea for us to renew his contract. However a three-year contract would indicate that neither side really has faith in each other and Ciaran may find himself spending the next three years sitting on the bench and never getting the opportunity to play first-team football and improve.

In the modern game Ciaran unlike Richard Dunne, is comfortable on the ball, can find a man with a pass, can run into space with the ball under his control, but like a number of modern defenders can’t tackle for toffee, and his spatial awareness in relation to looking out for danger, borders on the criminal

Is Ciaran Clark any good? My fear is we will never find out, because where he could hold his own in a defensive midfield position, he probably will never be good enough to stand out as a centre half.

Is my analysis about right? Ciaran Clark may be all that, but we will never find out, because unless we go down he will never get the chance to shine.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: New three-year contract!!!!!! – Ciaran Clark is he all that?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:32:30 PM »
In regard to the can't tackle for toffee thing, I wonder whether that's something we as fans need to adjust our expectations to. Centre-halves aren't allowed to tackle in the way that we're accustomed to. They have to have a better all-round game, in the way you mention Clark has, to compensate for the change in the laws.

Reading about Mcgrath elsewhere on the site reminds me how wonderful he was; he's one of the few from the past who would make a seamless transition into the modern game. I can't see Terry Butcher, as good as he was at the time, doing so.

I reckon Clark deserves the chance to make some progress.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm not as confident in him as I used to be. But I still think there's a top player in there somewhere.

I also confess to wanting one more experienced centre half in as I'm not completely convinced with any of our centre halves. There's a lot of potential there. They may be ace.
But I'm not relaxed about that area of the field by any stretch. I also used to think Clark was more promising than Baker. Now I'm sure its the other way around.

All the best Ciaran. I hope you realise how talented you can be. Always a cut above the rest at youth level.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
No. The club continues to dish out new contracts for no reason whatsoever. We were one game off from relegation no one deserves one imo.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
No. The club continues to dish out new contracts for no reason whatsoever. We were one game off from relegation no one deserves one imo.
Yeah. We should just get rid of all the players. Let Clark go on a free next summer. Good plan.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:58:27 PM »

You'd have let Weimann go for nothing next season then?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:01:35 AM by Clampy »

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »

That's your opinion. Not one I share.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »

Oh look another wonderfully positive post from Goldie.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »
Good on him if he wants to stay and fight it out, but if he goes into the campaign as a first choice CB, I'll admit to being concerned. 

That said, there might be a natural balance between him on the left and Okore on the right. Rather than the Vlarr/Okore partnership that seems most likely.  Sometimes partnerships just click.

He's in Ricardo Scimeca territory for me, a promising young centre half who will probably never fulfill the expectations we had, but will go on to forge a decent career at lower level at some point. No shame in that.

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »
I must be the only person who thinks Clark is actually pretty damn good. Especially considering its his first season at centreback.

He'll be a real stand-out player for us this season I reckon. He learnt a lot from last year.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 12:15:09 AM »

You said it. If their in the last year of their contracts what's the problem with signing a new one in January or at the end of the season.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 12:20:04 AM »
Because they can sign a pre-contract with absolutely anyone if we do.

I'll be honest, I think you're talking complete cack.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 12:20:17 AM »

You said it. If their in the last year of their contracts what's the problem with signing a new one in January or at the end of the season.
Because they're likely to go somewhere else?

Do you think Clark and Weimann would have had no contract offers other than us in January or next summer?

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 12:24:42 AM »

Seriously?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:44 AM »

That is a very bizarre viewpoint. By January they would be free to sign a pre-contract with anyone else, so if they have a blinder of a season we could lose them for nothing. Do you think it makes sense to take that gamble?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal