collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: High press-ure  (Read 3798 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
High press-ure
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »
Just because the sun's out don't think yo u can get away with it.

www.thebirminghampress.com/2013/07/10/by-unpopular-request/

Offline eastie

Re: High press-ure
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:01:26 AM »
Perfect summing up dave.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:27:22 AM by eastie »

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
A good read again Dave thanks.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »
A sensible piece Dave!

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »
Well said Dalian and Dave.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
Dave, good article once again, and it also reinforces my view that football in this country is slowly eating itself. Those who run it know that is a patient with a terminal illness but whilst they are enjoying fat salaries and no accountability there is no motivation to stop the malignancy. Corruption, greed, avarice, hell you could go through the 7 deadly sins and football would be ticking them all. We now have an uncompetitive league format, a national side that will not win anything in my lifetime, a restrictive strategy to develop youth, club management that is at best volatile, a product that only the broadcaster thinks is the 'best' in the world, player power beyond what is healthy, foreign ownership of clubs totally disengaged from altruism, suspicions of money laundering and criminal involvement and a warped belief that winning( or at least being involved with) a European Champions League is the only thing that matters.

The sport is now an industry in every bad sense of the word.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »
Dave, good article once again, and it also reinforces my view that football in this country is slowly eating itself. Those who run it know that is a patient with a terminal illness but whilst they are enjoying fat salaries and no accountability there is no motivation to stop the malignancy. Corruption, greed, avarice, hell you could go through the 7 deadly sins and football would be ticking them all. We now have an uncompetitive league format, a national side that will not win anything in my lifetime, a restrictive strategy to develop youth, club management that is at best volatile, a product that only the broadcaster thinks is the 'best' in the world, player power beyond what is healthy, foreign ownership of clubs totally disengaged from altruism, suspicions of money laundering and criminal involvement and a warped belief that winning( or at least being involved with) a European Champions League is the only thing that matters.

The sport is now an industry in every bad sense of the word.

You say that but every year it gets richer.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
Good read.

Regarding the timing of the transfer request, I wonder whether it's more than a co-incidence it came just hours after Spurs found out they'd lost the battle to sign David Villa?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
Very good read and to the point. How many clubs relish the fact they can waltz in and take players yet when it happens to them scream murder?

Its always been a food chain but in the modern day it is the food that dictates where / when it gets eaten!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
A good post Dave.

Offline Tuco Salamanca

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »
Enjoyed that, thanks.

I'm not that bothered about him going if he doesn't want to be here but I am concerned that this is going to turn into a saga. I don't see him being the first choice of City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, more of a contingency plan if their first choices don't come off. That leaves Spurs who history suggests will be happy to leave it to the last minute to try to force the price down (though I don't see that working). So it may run and run...

Hopefully it's true that we've set a deadline by which time the transfer has to be completed and after that he's stuck here.

Bloody footballers  >:(

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 01:19:17 PM »
Hopefully it's true that we've set a deadline by which time the transfer has to be completed and after that he's stuck here.

We did with Barry, the deadline ran out but the incessant rumours continued.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »
The key element in this affair is the relationship between agent Kismet - and player Benteke.

Benteke comes over as a simple soul - Kismet not quite that.

Benteke has been 'guided' by this chancer since he was a little kid - grooming one might otherwise call it. Kismet may well have spent every moment since Benteke started coming good trying to drum up interest in his one big asset.

It leaves a sour taste.  Use up the majority of your transfer budget on an unknown kid.  Stand by that unknown kid when all are doubting.  Play that unknown kid in front of an experienced top class striker.  Watch with pride as unknown kid proves you right and starts coming good.  Gasp in disbelief as the once unknown kid immediately asks for transfer.

Benteke came good for Villa - but let's be honest - he a bit rough and tumble - Lionel Messi he ain't - we can and will find as good if not better players - let's hope they prove to be better people.

Offline Tuco Salamanca

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »

We did with Barry, the deadline ran out but the incessant rumours continued.

Ah yes. It's pretty meaningless if the player still wants away I suppose. Oh joy.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
Sums it up for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal