collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Traditional Villa  (Read 15970 times)

Offline steamer

Re: Traditional Villa
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
Mr Shelly, I must have been standing next to you at each of those games.
If I may add, Most games at home to the scum from Brum.
Bouremouth, the Mcdougall game, European games at home at the end of the 70,s
The Tesco Bags, many times. Any Albion fan leaving Villa Park after breaking Cropleys leg,were stuffing their scarves in in their coats and trying to talk posh.
Sorry, we may not have much to excite us in the last couple of years, but give us the reason and Villa Park would be a Fortress and wall of noise.
Sorry, I forgot the 5.1 at home against L.'The Mighty Reds YNWA'.
Any independent view should not be measuring us in isolation, if we were to step back and view the atmosphere,s of the past against  the current sterile all seating stadia of the present, then everyones game has changed.
who has a better sound support than us when we are on song?

sorry maybe this should be in the  memories thread

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 02:37:21 AM »
Anyone who was at Villa Park when we beat Manure in the League Cup Semi-Final in 1971 will know what Villa Park is like when it's rocking.

Anyone who was at Villa Park when we turned over 1st division Southampton in a FA Cup replay in 1969 will know what Villa Park is like when it's rocking.

Anyone who was at Villa Park when we turned over Arsenal in a FA Cup replay (Sammy Morgan game) will know what Villa Park is like when it's rocking.

Shall I continue?

Yes, Bob Wilson - "What is that the Villa fans are chanting - six foot two, eyes of blue, Sammy Morgan's after you.  Oh sh*t, I have let a goal in!"

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »
I don't know where this quote comes from, but there's a book somewhere which says about VP;

"When the away team scored, you could hear the noise all over Aston, but when the home team scored, you could hear the roar in Walsall".

Now you can barely hear the noise on Witton island.
I remember going one time I think it was against Leeds when we still had the old Holte. It was still quite a while before kick off, but you could clearly hear the 'who the fuckin hell are you' from under the expressway

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »
Sunderland last season was epic. Best atmosphere for years. I'm so glad I didn't miss it, i'd have been gutted. Inconsolable even.

I will hunt you down and subject you to a serious finger-wagging for that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
Sunderland last season was epic. Best atmosphere for years. I'm so glad I didn't miss it, i'd have been gutted. Inconsolable even.

I will hunt you down and subject you to a serious finger-wagging for that.

Kinky!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »
Regarding when Villa Park is rocking but firstly can I just say to those people who have addressed me as Mr Shelley; my name is David, Dave if you wish and I like to think that we're all friends of sorts on here regardless of age.  I thank you for your manners and they are appreciated but please feel free to address me by my first name.  Besides when anyone calls me Mr I think I owe them money!

Back on topic.  One of my earliest memories of the Old Girl cranking up the volume was a 5th round FA Cup tie against Preston in 1960.  There was a media love-in at the time with Preston during this cup run as Tom Finney (a wonderful footballer) was still playing for them.  The mass media had this down for a Preston win with the exception of one journo who was with the Express I think.  Anyway we beat them 2-0 and Finney didn't get a look in.  The noise was unbelievable.

Next up in my memory bank was when we played a league game against (topically) media darlings Tottenham Hotspur who were champions and had a team of pure quality.  IIRC we were a goal down at  half time and second half saw an equaliser from Derek Dougan and the whole place erupted, I didn't think I'd ever heard noise like it but I was wrong, it was nothing compared to the noise when we got what turned out to be the winner.  That was the only time I ever ran on to the pitch at Villa Park, I touched Jimmy Greaves!

Again in the early sixties, prior to beating the Noses 5-1, we did them 6-2 and that was another incredible noisefest.  This was made so much better for my old man as he found two quid on the ground on the way out.

We came back from 0-2 down versus Tommy Docherty's Chelsea in the sixties too.  Terrific made all the more satisfying as they were on the up and we were shit.

It's not just when Villa are playing at home that the Old Girl cranks up.  For years until the money men took the game away from us, we used to stage FA Cup semi-finals and in fairness to supporters of all the clubs that played there they brought their own brand of atmosphere and this was enhanced by the magical surroundings.  I attended many of those matches over the years.

Another match I remember was a sad occasion when Villa Park staged a re-arranged match between Highgate United and another club the name of which escapes me at the moment.  This was a cup game of some sorts and was abandoned due to players being struck by lightening unfortunately killing one.  IIRC there were approximately 33k people from around the West Midlands that night and the atmosphere and noise was formidable.  I think the other team may have been Hendon, not sure.

There has been mention of other games  that I was in attendance for in other posts so I won't repeat them but there has been some great walls of sound when we've played Manure over the years.  Funnily enough we used to do quite well against them in the 70's.  I remember Andy Gray scored against them in one match and then flicked the V's to there supporters on the way back to the centre circle for kick off.  They'd been giving him some stick.

Another Manure match was when we were promoted in 1975 and they went on to be champions of the old second division with The Doc as manager.  We played them off the park that day and the noise was again tremendous.  I was convinced that if there had been another six games to the season we would have been champions and not them, such was the roll we were on

The atmosphere at Villa Park is unique, unlike anywhere when the Old Girl dictates.  Check out your old pictures of Villa Park and study the old Trinity Road stand and the Witton Lane stand pre-1966.  Those stands had wooden flooring and when the customers decided it was time to stamp and ramp it up the noise was make your ears bleed.  Especially when the Trinity Road stand woke up.

I have hundreds of memories of that magnificent edifice that is Villa Park, and if I ever meet any of you I will gladly share them.  For all you young people reading this, your turn will come, believe me it will and never forget you and only you are the future of this great club so every time you go crank up the noise another decibel and you'll find the Old Girl won't let you down.

Sorry for the long post.  Mods move to memories if you think fit.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »
Dave  It was Enfield and Tony Allden was the player who died. What I remember from the match was that it was raining heavily but the atmosphere was tremendous I believe over 30,000 turned out that foul night to show their respects.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:31:15 PM by Ron Manager »

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »
Thanks Ron, you're right it was Enfield, I knew it was a team from down that way but just couldn't recall.  I think I may still have the programme somewhere, not too sure.

It really was an atmosphere to remember that night.  Would I be right in saying that a young Graham Allner was playing for Highgate at that time or am I being a bit previous?

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »
Thanks Ron, you're right it was Enfield, I knew it was a team from down that way but just couldn't recall.  I think I may still have the programme somewhere, not too sure.

It really was an atmosphere to remember that night.  Would I be right in saying that a young Graham Allner was playing for Highgate at that time or am I being a bit previous?

Dont know that Dave. Saw him play for Alvechurch a few times when I lived that way.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »
Fred a rather lovely 85 year old gentleman that lives in our village is a huge QPR fan.....he has nothing but the finest words and admiration for the Villa.

UTV
The Doc

Offline andyaston

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2013, 09:25:06 PM »
I remember when I was pretty young the shock I got when walking out of Aston station in the 1988 FA Cup game against Liverpool. It was well before kick off but I could hear the Holte singing loud it really amazed me. When Villa Park rocks it rocks.

Offline peter w

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
I always bracket us with Everton as being a "proper" football club, and stats help back that up, longest time in top flight, most matches played and most internationals provided to england. Two proper stadiums, though VP is more modern, and I think similar fans, I always seem to get on better with Toffee fans than from any other club.

As we've said on here before, we seem to have respect for them, they for some reason can't stand us. Maybe it's because we are the one club who know our 'istory as well as they do.

And more, we've won the big one and they had the chance taken away from their best ever team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal