collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Keeno
[Today at 12:56:39 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sad, sad, sad  (Read 45333 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Sad, sad, sad
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
I hope it's not too serious and that he gets the help and support he needs. Following on from Supertom in my opinion he was "frighteningly good" (although I think I know what you mean) his continual knee problems were another major factor.
Christ only knows how good with a solid pair of knees too. He wouldn't just be a God, he'd be Zues, a God of Gods. He would have made Maldini look like Titus Bramble.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »
I hope it's not too serious and that he gets the help and support he needs. Following on from Supertom in my opinion he was "frighteningly good" (although I think I know what you mean) his continual knee problems were another major factor.
Christ only knows how good with a solid pair of knees too. He wouldn't just be a God, he'd be Zues, a God of Gods. He would have made Maldini look like Titus Bramble.

you have to wonder though if he didn't have those problems would he have ever ended up with us?

Offline supertom

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »

you have to wonder though if he didn't have those problems would he have ever ended up with us?
Yes that's the other thing. Perhaps not. My guess is that either Bruce or Pallister would not have had quite as illustrious a career.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »
Caring about somebody who has addiction problems, or poor mental health, makes you feel so powerless.

I wish him well, I hope he finds the strength to get better.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 02:46:33 PM »
Caring about somebody who has addiction problems, or poor mental health, makes you feel so powerless.

yes,
 I have similar issues in my own family concerning gambling,
there is support out there, in the form of GA and AA etc, I've only been to GA and they are excellent but you have to be willing to go and get the 'treatment' for the want of better word,

Paul has I am sure done that in past, but its easy to fall away, and people around do give up in the end, because they see it as a never ending battle, which it is

in fact sometimes its harder for the immediate family than the person with the addictions, because like you say you feel powerless,
in a recent GA meeting with family and friends of compulsive gamblers, everyone in the room said the same thing, it wasn't the gambling that was the biggest problem, it was the lies

the lying destroyed everything, I'm not sure if that's the same for alcoholics, but people do get to the point where they have had enough, give up and go away

Offline eastie

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »

yes,
there is support out there, in the form of GA and AA etc, I've only been to GA and they are excellent but you have to be willing to go and get the 'treatment' for the want of better word,

Paul has I am sure done that in past, but its easy to fall away, and people around do give up in the end, because they see it as a never ending battle, which it is

in fact sometimes its harder for the immediate family than the person with the addictions, because like you say you feel powerless,
in a recent GA meeting with family and friends of compulsive gamblers, everyone in the room said the same thing, it wasn't the gambling that was the biggest problem, it was the lies

the lying destroyed everything, I'm not sure if that's the same for alcoholics, but people do get to the point where they have had enough, give up and go away

May I take this opportunity to wish you all the best in your fight john, I've always enjoyed your posts and you seem a really decent bloke - hope it goes well for you pal.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
I bet you £2 he gets better

Offline john e

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »

yes,

May I take this opportunity to wish you all the best in your fight john, I've always enjoyed your posts and you seem a really decent bloke - hope it goes well for you pal.

thanks,
 although I have been a heavy gambler in the past, its my Son who has the problem, I go to support him, although i'm only allowed into the family support meeting

Offline john e

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
I bet you £2 he gets better

make it 2 grand and we might be talking......

Offline eastie

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »
Best wishes to you both anyway john, you have always struck me as one  of the good guys :)

Offline john e

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
Best wishes to you both anyway john, you have always struck me as one  of the good guys :)

I am pretty good to be fair

Offline eastie

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »

I am pretty good to be fair

Indeed.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »
it just doesn't sound like him, being loud?

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »

He has had problems in the past becoming a bit loud when drunk i think - not aggressive though.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »

His inherent shyness is probably what makes him return to the drink.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal