collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sad, sad, sad  (Read 45136 times)

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Sad, sad, sad
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
How much of him getting arrested had to do with being loud and annoying and how much of it had to do with him being Paul McGrath?

Probably seen as a bit of a big shot in Offaly and a big scalp for the local plod to get their 15 mins of fame:  I nicked Paul McGrath for being pissed once- they can tell anyone who cares, or maybe doesn't .
Unfortunately he's well-known for being a liability when he's off the wagon.

Equally unfortunately diablo, we're well beyond the point of it  being "not too serious", as I sincerely wish the twats who continue to chant "it's your round" would realise.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:11:01 PM by Ger Regan »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »
How much of him getting arrested had to do with being loud and annoying and how much of it had to do with him being Paul McGrath?

Probably seen as a bit of a big shot in Offaly and a big scalp for the local plod to get their 15 mins of fame:  I nicked Paul McGrath for being pissed once- they can tell anyone who cares, or maybe doesn't .

I doubt it. There's more chance of them turning a blind eye to him unless they really had no other choice. Sad to say, you can only help someone so many times unless they want to be helped - and even sadder, the Great Man's squandered more than most.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »

I doubt it. There's more chance of them turning a blind eye to him unless they really had no other choice. Sad to say, you can only help someone so many times unless they want to be helped - and even sadder, the Great Man's squandered more than most.

Fair comment in my view.

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »

Sad but true, he has the support of all of us but the only person who can conquer this demon is paul .

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 12:22:59 PM »
Hope he gets control of problem , he was a greater player and seems a decent man fighting demons

On a side note , I have always hated that song on the piss me lord

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »
Hope he gets control of problem , he was a greater player and seems a decent man fighting demons

On a side note , I have always hated that song on the piss me lord

It seems to have died out a little. I don't recall hearing it that much last season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »
I hear it virtually every game (although, admittedly, I haven't been able to attend since January). Usually followed by the ludicrous "empty seats, my Lord" sang from a far-from-full stand.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 12:49:12 PM »
I hear it virtually every game (although, admittedly, I haven't been able to attend since January). Usually followed by the ludicrous "empty seats, my Lord" sang from a far-from-full stand.

That for me is cringe-worthy.

As to the main song, there must be a better way to show our love for McGrath?

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
Does he have to get as ill as Gazza before he gets the help  he needs.I hope not

Offline eastie

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »

That for me is cringe-worthy.

As to the main song, there must be a better way to show our love for McGrath?

Ooh aah paul McGrath was and is a much better way to show appreciation.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
When you read about some of the stuff surrounding Paul Gascoigne it always amazes me to read that despite his widespread noteriety there are still people out there willing to buy him a drink, or serve him one. Paul Grath is one of the most recognisable people in Ireland yet despite his very well documented troubles people still will provide him access to alcohol, or at worst now know when to stop providing him with it. Reading some of Gascoigne's issues, there's always those people who call themselves "mates" and are always "there" for him, yet these people never seem to step in with any conviction when they see things going south. If he has real friends they need to step in before it gets out of control.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
The main reason the Paul Mcgrath song is sung is so they can get to the "shit support me lord" verse.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
The main reason the Paul Mcgrath song is sung is so they can get to the "shit support me lord" verse.

It is such a massively shit song in so many ways. I hate it more every time I hear the Holte sing it. So small time too with the "shit support" bit.

Offline eastie

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
Cringeworthy and embarrassing song and needs to be binned.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
When you read about some of the stuff surrounding Paul Gascoigne it always amazes me to read that despite his widespread noteriety there are still people out there willing to buy him a drink, or serve him one. Paul Grath is one of the most recognisable people in Ireland yet despite his very well documented troubles people still will provide him access to alcohol, or at worst now know when to stop providing him with it. Reading some of Gascoigne's issues, there's always those people who call themselves "mates" and are always "there" for him, yet these people never seem to step in with any conviction when they see things going south. If he has real friends they need to step in before it gets out of control.

There are probably people who would buy them a drink just to get a reaction like that. "I saw Paul McGrath quietly sipping orange juice" isn't as much of a tale as "He was pissed out of his head."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal