collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our realistic target for the new season.  (Read 14367 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: Our realistic target for the new season.
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »
Love the optimism of those on here who think we can place as high as 7th

Reality is we have strengthened the the squad with young, cheap players who are unknown quantities in the PL - we have arguably not strengthened the 1st team  at all.

We'll finish in the bottom third of the division - should not be relegated and may have a cup run, but another long and frustrating year ahead i think - clearly head posting this, heart says we'll win the treble

Disagree with the bit in bold.  We've bought in an international CB and a better LB than we had before.  That coupled with the fact that the returning players are more experienced means that we should be stronger than we were last season.  That said, I don't think we have made the type of signings at this point who will take us as high as 7th, but I would hope that we won't be in relegation trouble at any point. 

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »
Mid table - 9th-13th. High 40's / Low 50's points. A few more goals scored and a few less shipped. A decent cup run and no more humiliations. No relegation battle this season please. My heart can't take another one.

Still worried we have too much of a soft centre.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »
I don't think we'll lose all 3 opening games.  We will be more ready than Arsenal, and we'll score at the Emirates.

Isn't Benteke banned for the first 2 games?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »
No.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Mid table, top half in fact. Another relegation battle would be too much for me. I'd be calling for Lambert's sacking if next season mirrored last season.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »
Mid table, top half in fact. Another relegation battle would be too much for me. I'd be calling for Lambert's sacking if next season mirrored last season.

If we are involved in another scrap then I don't think we can carry on relying on the shitness of other teams. I don't think it will come to that but I don't think the 7th place for the taking optimism is all that realistic.

Then again I chuckled when my mate said he thought we could finish 4th in 95-96 after I had optimisticly suggested 7th.

Offline claretandbeer

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
And miss out on a long serving relegation battle medal ? Think of the 60s,Vietnam must have been an easier tour than a season down the Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal