collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Surprise Player  (Read 14642 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Surprise Player
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »
I would like to see Gardner after the time he's had with injury's I would like to see him be the surprise player of the season.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »
Yeah, we're by no means the finished article, but after having all the players together for a good pre season and another improving season where we'll probably slide up and down mid table for most of it, the season after will be a terrifyingly good prospect, minus a Benteke or two.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2013, 02:07:28 AM »
Has anybody said what a big surprise it would be if it were Stephen Ireland, yet?

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2013, 03:28:38 AM »
Delph for me, he's got all the makings to be a top midfield player. I also think this Okore kid is going to be a revelation and live up to all the hype, by all accounts he's the real deal.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »
Ciaran Clark. I am convinced that there is a bloody good player in there somewhere and this is the season we will see it.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »
Ciaran Clark. I am convinced that there is a bloody good player in there somewhere and this is the season we will see it.

In midfield maybe. I honestly don't think he's cut out to be a defender.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:22 AM »
Clark is a central defender, and a very decent one at that.  He suffered last season when we had a lot of injuries and he was being asked to be the defensive leader and captain, whilst struggling for form and with defenders around him who were either not defenders (Herd), were new to the league (Vlaar), had made a big step up (Lowton, Bennett, Stevens) or were very inexperienced (Baker).

He needs to show the mental strength to get his belief back but if he can do that he'll turn into a very good defender.  All young central defenders make mistakes, it comes with the territory, but Clark had the mistakes of the rest of the defence dumped on him as well.  I think the injury will actually turn out to be a bit of a blessing.  He desperately needed a break but I don't think Lambert wanted to damage his fragile confidence by dropping him.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »

In midfield maybe. I honestly don't think he's cut out to be a defender.

Too many options in midfield now for him to get a chance there, so it's defender or nowhere for Clark at Villa.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »
Clark is a central defender, and a very decent one at that.  He suffered last season when we had a lot of injuries and he was being asked to be the defensive leader and captain, whilst struggling for form and with defenders around him who were either not defenders (Herd), were new to the league (Vlaar), had made a big step up (Lowton, Bennett, Stevens) or were very inexperienced (Baker).

He needs to show the mental strength to get his belief back but if he can do that he'll turn into a very good defender.  All young central defenders make mistakes, it comes with the territory, but Clark had the mistakes of the rest of the defence dumped on him as well.  I think the injury will actually turn out to be a bit of a blessing.  He desperately needed a break but I don't think Lambert wanted to damage his fragile confidence by dropping him.

Whilst I don't disagree with any of the points you make, the simple fact is he didn't play well last season and I think Baker came out of it looking the better defender.  He now has another problem next season in the form of Okore, so he unlikely to get as much game time.

Make or break time I think.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2013, 11:02:56 AM »

Whilst I don't disagree with any of the points you make, the simple fact is he didn't play well last season and I think Baker came out of it looking the better defender.  He now has another problem next season in the form of Okore, so he unlikely to get as much game time.

That's the point with my last paragraph, he had a tough season and made mistakes but where he goes next is down to how he reacts.  If he comes out of it stronger he'll be a very good premier league defender, if not he'll drop down the leagues.  The ability is there he just needs to cut out the errors.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
The problem with Clark last season was that he needed a break. Players of that age do sometimes and it showed with him and with Weimann at times. He was our main centre half last year when Vlaar was out and maybe the pressure got to him a little as well.

Offline eastie

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »
The problem with Clark last season was that he needed a break. Players of that age do sometimes and it showed with him and with Weimann at times. He was our main centre half last year when Vlaar was out and maybe the pressure got to him a little as well.

That was the problem with several of the younger lads who looked out on their feet at times but the bench was so poor we couldn't rest them - this season the squad looks much better with the additions made looking a lot better options than the likes of kea, bannan, Ireland , lichaj and Bowery.

Lambert should be able to give players a rest if required and competition for places will be stronger.

Offline claretandbeer

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »

That's the point with my last paragraph, he had a tough season and made mistakes but where he goes next is down to how he reacts.  If he comes out of it stronger he'll be a very good premier league defender, if not he'll drop down the leagues.  The ability is there he just needs to cut out the errors.
Clark certainly has ability on the ball,perhaps not so evident last season and your point about the 'tough season' was probably a big factor. But it's the errors and most of them seemed to stem from him 'ball watching' and consequently losing a player.I'm not too sure that's solvable,Zat Knight suffered badly from that malaise.
Similarly,in midfield where he seems to have the right attributes for a holding role,he appeared under TSM to be incapable of reading the game and of getting to grips with his opponents.
But he has ability and physical attributes,so let's hope.
One thing is for sure,there's several who are already at a reasonable standard and have the potential to step up another level.Should be an interesting season and beyond that I'm getting more and more optimistic.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2013, 04:47:49 PM »
I've got a good feeling about Okore above our other signings, but I can't say that with much foundation. I've never seen him play.

I do however predict that Delph will be a standout player this season, and get noticed across the leagues. I thought he was looking really excellent in the last third of the season

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »
Jozy Altidore ;) who we should have signed but if its Villa players then I would take Tonev

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal