collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scapegoat  (Read 15828 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Scapegoat
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »
The word all HanVers love to hate.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
The thing I find about the discussions of scapegoats on this site is that, more often than not, the people who drone on loudest on the subject don't really understand what the word means.

For starters, it doesn't just mean "person who gets slagged off", so criticising someone for not performing doesn't necessarily meant you're "scapegoating" them.

For me it's double standards, that's why I get frustrated with the way some players get treated, I freely admit Bannan is the one I've been arguing for recently but i've done the same for other players in the past.  The issue is, Bannan, Delph and Westwood could all play ahd have a passing success in the low 80s but Westwood gets praised for his passing, Delph gets grudging approval because he's improving and Bannan gets slagged off for giving the ball away ' all the time'.  So maybe scapegoat is the wrong term but there's definitely double standards.  The bit I find really backwards is that the players who seem to have higher expectations are usually the ones who've come through the academy.  Imagine is Bannan put in performances as abject as some we've seen from nzogbia, and yet nzogbia still gets a lot of credit with some fans.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I have a feeling that unlike a spell last season, it won't be Benteke.

richtheholtender

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
Sylla

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
As a season ticket holder in the lower north stand, I get the feeing a lot of people are just waiting for Bannan to give the ball away so that they can take out the frustrations of a poor team performance out on him. I'm not a massive fan of his but in my experience he is the number one scapegoat. I have to disagree a bit with PWS. If Benteke doesn't hit the heights of last season, I sense a lot of people ready to claim he has got too big for boots or doesn't want to play for us anymore.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 11:46:21 PM »
Benteke would have to really drop off to get stick I think. Even he'd have preferred to go he's still going to want to be a success in a WC year and to get a move next summer.

I agree about Bannan, but I also think his attitude, or perceived attitude, along with the drink driving has alienated a number of fans.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
I am going to go with Tonev after looking a bit dodgy early doors and maybe Delph, if he does not start the season in similar form to last season. Which would be a big shame, as I think talent wise he is brilliant and we need to give him time and support.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 12:37:20 AM »
Nobody actually names a scapegoat. The word is introduced into threads by people who disagree with a poster's negative opinion of a particular player. If a player is consistently poor, then of course their name will crop up quite often.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 12:49:03 AM »
Same scapegoat as the last three seasons - MON.

I'll settle for that.

He's been very useful but 3 years down the line, with an effective, forceful and visionary manager in place for a year and a squad (and a club) bearing little resemblance to the one he famously flounced out on, I think the time to untether him has come.

We can still slag him off, though.

Scapegoating - definition
"Process in which the mechanisms of projection or displacement are utilised in focusing feelings of aggression, hostility, frustration, etc., upon another individual or group; the amount of blame being unwarranted." (Not sure it has been totally unwarranted, but still.)

He doesn't have to take any more blame for the present situation, given the change in circumstances. Just - the same stuff that people routinely dish out about ex managers they don't like.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:58:31 AM by Louzie0 »

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 01:40:28 AM »
Hopefully Bennett can do 'a Delph' and win over the fans next season. If Vlaar starts the season poorly I think it'll be him.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 02:23:37 AM »
I blame the fans.

:)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 05:11:37 AM »
Hopefully Bennett can do 'a Delph' and win over the fans next season. If Vlaar starts the season poorly I think it'll be him.

+1 Vlaar needs a strong start next season otherwise Okore's leadership qualities will be tested very early on.

I think Lawton's weaknesses were glossed over towards the end of last season. Some of his defending was absolutely appalling last season and I think he could be targeted by opposition tactics next season. For some reason I think the signing of Luna might bring out the best in Bennett.

Weimann is another who might find the going a bit tougher next season. Really love his attitude but his touch particularly sees a lot of attacks break down. Tonev will hopefully settle early to give us competition out wide.

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »
I think Bennett is a good signing and will develop into a better defender next season although luna will probably get plenty of games too, as for bannan i just don't think he's good enough at his level and see little to make me think he will be .

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
Stupid thread. It's based on a premise that we would struggle and therefore we will target  a "scapegoat".  Just amazed as to how many different ways are there for some to find a negative angle to start a discussion?

Offline eastie

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Stupid thread. It's based on a premise that we would struggle and therefore we will target  a "scapegoat".  Just amazed as to how many different ways are there for some to find a negative angle to start a discussion?

Agree with you affers, things are pretty positive around villa park right now , I think we will have a decent season ahead and look ahead with relish.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal