collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goal line technology in B6  (Read 6098 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Goal line technology in B6
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »
Good. A step in the right direction. Would also like the technology to include lasers to shoot down Phil "Complete Bastard*" Dowd, hopefully next season.

* no, I couldn't be arsed to think of a witty nickname.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
It's a joke that they do something like this but have nothing in place to rule on offside goals like the , er, three at Old Trafford and , of course, the continuing scar on the game of diving.

Good.  I don't want the game halted by some incident every 5 minutes, nor do I want a robot for a referee.

This, I personally would not be in favour of any form of technology being introduced.

Pair of Luddites.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
Kind of serious question.......

Presumably the stuff is installed and calibrated for where the goals are now.   What if we move them?  I don't mean down the road or anything, but for example, weren't Stoke moving their goals for European games a couple of seasons ago?  How can you guarantee you move it back to the exact same spot again?   Do Hawkeye send technicians out to calibrate the system before every game?

Given that all grounds and stands are different I imagine the kit works by detecting the goal line based on the goal posts - for every ground the distances and angles between the cameras and goals will be different and it would be a complete ballache to have to individually calibrate each one, whereas getting a camera and computer to pick out a goalmouth from any image would be a piece of cake.

If it works that way, moving the goal posts shouldn't make a difference, although as has been pointed out already, all Premier League pitches are now required to be identical and are a size which is compliant with UEFA so there's no reason to move them any more.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
And how are we to believe the calibration at Old Trafford?

It will take 8 minutes to transmit the message to the ref.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »
About time for this. I think it will add a bit of extra fun to the day, as long as it never goes against us of course.
Seriously, this is needed. With the amount of cash involved in relegation- Title winning etc there has to be no doubt if a goal is a goal or not. A good move forward.

Tail wagging the dog there. Once money becomes the motivation then all hope for the game is lost. There are far more damaging elements in football than the extremely rare instances of whether or not the ball crossed the line. When's the last time there was one in one of our games? Struggling to think of one other than Les Sealey v Sheffield Wednesday and that was 20+ years ago though I'm surethere must be a more recent example.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 01:42:21 AM »
About time for this. I think it will add a bit of extra fun to the day, as long as it never goes against us of course.
Seriously, this is needed. With the amount of cash involved in relegation- Title winning etc there has to be no doubt if a goal is a goal or not. A good move forward.

Tail wagging the dog there. Once money becomes the motivation then all hope for the game is lost. There are far more damaging elements in football than the extremely rare instances of whether or not the ball crossed the line. When's the last time there was one in one of our games? Struggling to think of one other than Les Sealey v Sheffield Wednesday and that was 20+ years ago though I'm surethere must be a more recent example.

Dippers at VP this year.

The one that sticks in my mid was WBA a few years ago, the Ollie header that went in, came back out and wasn't given.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 08:30:37 AM »
Struggling to think of one other than Les Sealey v Sheffield Wednesday and that was 20+ years ago though I'm surethere must be a more recent example.
Chelsea - where Westwood looking to have cleared the ball from just behind the line but no goal was given.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
Thank you PWS and Dave for highlighting just how shot my short term memory is.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
Sad that I immediately thought of West Brom away and Chelsea at home.

Didn't we score one years ago against Spurzzz that wasn't given? Mabbutt may have cleared it from just over.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
The "Oh, we haven't got time to check whether the goal was offside, we've got to get on with the game," is pure bullshit. Check the next time you see a team score a goal, and note that there is up to a minute's gap before the game restarts. Plenty of time to ask someone with access to technology -that's right, the same technology used every week to slag the officials off when they get it wrong -whether the goal was 'good' before we proceed. Time lost? Minimal.

As for diving, I would suggest modifying the existing laws on violent conduct, not seen by the ref but caught on camera. In a case where a player blatantly dived to gain an advantage, beyond the argument even of a Nigel Adkins, the player concerned would receive an automatic one-match ban. Future transgressions of the same nature by the same player would see the ban doubled on each subsequent occasion.

The problem would soon sort itself out.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
Agree on both counts, Dave. I'm not sure Man Utd would agree though. Speaking of the Plastics, can I add any player giving the ref the verbals should automatically be booked too. Some teams must train every week on bullying the ref.

Offline pendinevilla

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »
Where has this business about all pitches in Premier league being the same size come from?
This link gives the sizes at the start of 2012/13 season and they are different.
http://www.openplay.co.uk/blog/premiership-football-pitch-sizes-2012-2013/

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
I always thought when it came to pitches that there was a minimum and maximum limit and you could have anything within those.

Offline pendinevilla

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 06:40:48 PM »
I always thought when it came to pitches that there was a minimum and maximum limit and you could have anything within those.

According to FA Rules that is the case.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 06:42:48 PM »
I think the English rules allowed a greater degree of flexibility than in Europe until last year, when the Premier League's rules were changed to match UEFA's. Good thing I reckon if it benefits football teams and hinders shite like Stoke.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal