collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goal line technology in B6  (Read 6125 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Goal line technology in B6
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3220055,00.html

Villa have completed the first phase of goalline technology installation in B6.

Working alongside British-based company Hawk-Eye, IT chiefs have overseen the addition of fourteen cameras and extensive cabling on the various stands across the stadium.

There will be seven cameras trained on the North Stand goal and seven cameras on the Holte End goal.

The work was completed in four days with the second phase comprising extensive testing scheduled in mid-late July when the Villa Park pitch is laid-out in readiness for the start of the season.

Hawk-Eye is known for providing tennis and cricket with ball-tracking technology.

Its football system - using high frame rate cameras in order to find the ball when it is close to the goal - detects if the ball has crossed the goalline via a triangulation signal which is then sent to the referee's watch within one second from a Broadcast Truck on-site.

Hawk-Eye says its system is "millimetre accurate, ensuring no broadcast replays could disprove the decision".

The video footage of each incident can also be used on the big screens at Villa Park and also for replay purposes on shows such as BBC's Match of the Day and Sky's Football First as well as AVTV's post-match highlights package.

The continued use of Hawk-Eye in B6 will be overseen by the company's skilled staff.

As background, the Premier League voted to introduce goalline technology from the 2013-14 season.

Top-flight clubs voted to adopt the system during a meeting of the 20 Premier League chairmen.

Hawk-Eye were awarded the contract to provide the system.

Nick Finney, Multimedia Operations Manager, said: "We have worked very closely with Hawk-Eye since the Premier League decision to introduce goalline technology for the coming season.

"All cameras have now been installed in the ground so what's left is testing by a third party to verify the workings of the state-of-the-art technology within B6.

"We're happy that this will be signed-off and the new system will be fully-operational by the time Liverpool visit on August 24."

Offline danlanza

Re: Goal line technology in B6
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »
About time for this. I think it will add a bit of extra fun to the day, as long as it never goes against us of course.
Seriously, this is needed. With the amount of cash involved in relegation- Title winning etc there has to be no doubt if a goal is a goal or not. A good move forward.

Offline eastie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
About time for this. I think it will add a bit of extra fun to the day, as long as it never goes against us of course.
Seriously, this is needed. With the amount of cash involved in relegation- Title winning etc there has to be no doubt if a goal is a goal or not. A good move forward.

Indeed !

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
It's a joke that they do something like this but have nothing in place to rule on offside goals like the , er, three at Old Trafford and , of course, the continuing scar on the game of diving.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
Do you think it would be possible to use this to stamp out diving?  It would slow the game down something rotten, nut could be hilarious when Bale et al take flight!

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
Would love to see them cut diving out but think the only way to do it is to impose retrospective replays followed by 3-game bans

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »
Diving would be eradicated by making it a straight red card

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »
They should be made to wear a big with 'cheat' written on it for three games.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
It's a joke that they do something like this but have nothing in place to rule on offside goals like the , er, three at Old Trafford and , of course, the continuing scar on the game of diving.

Good.  I don't want the game halted by some incident every 5 minutes, nor do I want a robot for a referee.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
Kind of serious question.......

Presumably the stuff is installed and calibrated for where the goals are now.   What if we move them?  I don't mean down the road or anything, but for example, weren't Stoke moving their goals for European games a couple of seasons ago?  How can you guarantee you move it back to the exact same spot again?   Do Hawkeye send technicians out to calibrate the system before every game?

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »

Presumably the stuff is installed and calibrated for where the goals are now.   What if we move them?  I don't mean down the road or anything, but for example, weren't Stoke moving their goals for European games a couple of seasons ago?  How can you guarantee you move it back to the exact same spot again?   Do Hawkeye send technicians out to calibrate the system before every game?

Well the rules have changed in the Prem to mean that Stoke have to have a proper-sized pitch now and not just in European games I believe. So they shouldn't change pitch size.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »

They didn't move the goals. Just moved in the touchlines.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
And how are we to believe the calibration at Old Trafford?

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »
And how are we to believe the calibration at Old Trafford?

Fergie's left so no longer an issue  ;)

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »

Good.  I don't want the game halted by some incident every 5 minutes, nor do I want a robot for a referee.

This, I personally would not be in favour of any form of technology being introduced.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal