collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players Respect Lambert  (Read 19258 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Players Respect Lambert
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 06:31:35 AM »
Thanks for that article, it does feel you with a certain pride for him.

During last seasons massive blip, I couldn't believe it was happening and I thought at times he looked lost out there on the touch line. I remember being really gutted for him, not just for me as a Villa fan as I really wanted him to succeed.

He proved me wrong, he turned it around. Ok he is not a success yet but he dealt with the whole situation so well, he stuck by his team, he never criticised them in public and looks like he is very respected by the squad.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:15 AM »
This is another good quote and also describes the types of characters Lambert seems to sign.

"People talk about the German focus and mentality and ask: 'How do they do it?' I understand how they do it. They are just so focused on what they are and they don't really bother too much about outside influences. They focus on what they have to do and they have great self-belief. That was where my career changed."

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »
there is definitely a steely determination about Lambert. That he is a certain way, unwavering and that he is getting people around him that are as dedicated and committed. That in the face of doubt and adversity they keep plugging away in what they believe in because it will come good. Whenever you join a club you have to rid those around who cannot believe, refuse to believe and will not believe. He is nearly done with that, and he has brought in players who are focused and determined. It will hold us in really stead for the future.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Lambert's attitude seems to be infectious.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8797034/

Bacuna says:

"The manager is trying to create a new generation, to build something here and improve us all as players. He wants the guys to go out there and show what they can do. I'm up for the challenge.

"For every player who's coming in, it's good to find themselves in a team and an environment such as this.  My mentality is that you start at the bottom and you prove yourself. This is what I intend to do."

The last sentence struck me.  No ego, no prevarication, just honesty.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »
And Jores Okore seems to share his team mate's attitude.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/06/28/new-aston-villa-signing-jores-okore-excited-by-prospect-of-playing-at-villa-park/90597/

"We have a great coach who can develop us and make us really good players. I think he can bring some great things out in me.

"We want to be a good team. We want to get some exciting things going. We have good players all around. I want to be a big part of the team personally too.

"I want to help the team to a new era. That's what I want to do. I want to perform really well."

No mealy mouthing.  Just positivity and commitment.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
How much of these interviews are the players own words and how much is it the media department peddling a consistent message whereby they'll draft something and the player will approve it as being okay to attribute to them?

They all seem to be very much on message yet strangely not that conversational in their content.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 11:08:36 PM »
An attributed quote is a direct quote from the players mouth.  If you are suggesting that these young men are being coached in what to say I would find that hard to believe in regards to the content of what they say.  Though of course - lessons in how to handle media are vital for young sports stars.  Such lessons though teach technique - they don't usually create content - as that tends not to work.

Have you ever met Villa's press office?  Cunning plans and conspiracies are probably not their forte.

Are you saying that the players don't respect Paul Lambert?  If so - support your case.

For me - I think Lambert is going after a type of player - and I think what they say and how they behave tells us who they are.  And so far - I like what I hear.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
A number of attributed quotes in the press aren't made by the 'celebrity', but are okayed by them and their agent if it portrays them in a way they want to be portrayed. It's not a massive stretch of the imagination for it to be the same with footballers.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »
Lambert is trying to move the club forwards, lets back him with it. I did doubt very much after Bradford, but want him to bring our great club forward

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »
I get it.  If someone connected with our club says something like -"Liverpool will always have a special place in my heart" - we suspect them.

If however they say something like - "Villa are a great club and I am proud and honoured to be able to try and prove myself here " - then we suspect them.

All clear now.

Off to the scapegoat thread for me.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
On a brighter note.

This is Ferguson's take on Lambert and Villa - though said in the midst of last season's battle Ferguson's words still strike a chord with me.

“Young people give you a future by creating a strong blend that can last for a few years,” he said.

“Young players will always remember the manager who gave them their first start.

“The team will improve because of that, I am sure of it.

“Paul had the courage to do it and even if they were to go down, Villa have a structure that should bring them right back up.

“But on the evidence of what we’ve seen recently they’ve every chance of staying up anyway.

"Villa showed against Stoke that they have a bit of life about them and they should have won their game against last week.

"A lot of teams in that situation may pick a team to get something out of the game. Paul Lambert picked a team to win. There is a distinction."

Wise words from the Yoda of Govan - unless of course he was coached to say this by Villa's PR wizard Brian Doogan.

There is a distinction.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »
An attributed quote is a direct quote from the players mouth.  If you are suggesting that these young men are being coached in what to say I would find that hard to believe in regards to the content of what they say.  Though of course - lessons in how to handle media are vital for young sports stars.  Such lessons though teach technique - they don't usually create content - as that tends not to work.

Have you ever met Villa's press office?  Cunning plans and conspiracies are probably not their forte.

Are you saying that the players don't respect Paul Lambert?  If so - support your case.

For me - I think Lambert is going after a type of player - and I think what they say and how they behave tells us who they are.  And so far - I like what I hear.

I have no evidence, I just thought it was a bit strange that the quotes all seem a bit similar.  I don't often visit the official site so of course there could be footage of the interviews which disproves my theory.  You've also got to remember that Englsh is not these player's first language so it's quite conceivable that the "interpretation" was done off screen and then given to the journalists as part of their press release.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »
I would imagine that as Bacuna is Dutch, his English is better than the vast majority of our current squad.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
I would imagine that as Bacuna is Dutch, his English is better than the vast majority of our current squad.

Probably the same for the danish crew too, but Luna?
Either way the comment was not intended as a criticism of the club, I was more curious whether the practice was happening.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:37:21 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 02:16:52 PM »

Yes, Gabby for example.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal