collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players Respect Lambert  (Read 19255 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Players Respect Lambert
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
Anything that's repeated a few times becomes subject to ridicule, especially if we're losing and/or the manager is unpopular.

"Nice bunch of lads."

"Terrific."

"We go again."

You missed out 'I like Liverpool' and 'I'm not a defensive manager'

You mean "honest bunch of lads" don't you?  ;)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
I never really understood the annoyance at the "we go again" thing. He had to say something every week, and it was hard in that period when that was really the only thing he could say in the circumstances.

This. What was he meant to say after a beating? "Well that was shit, I think we may as well give up"

I think he certainly realised the precarious nature of confidence when a team of such young kids gets so many beatings week in, week out.

He got that spot on and managed their confidence very well.

I said this in the 'Season turning point' thread, and I still think it's true.

Lowton at Stoke. However, and i'm probably alone in this, i'd also go for the 15-0 week. We stuck with the same players, we stuck to doing the same things and that can only have helped the players later in the season. To go through a week like that and still be believed in by the manager must mean a lot.

And also us, we've been fantastic this season at matches. I'd like to think that's helped them as well.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »
Reminds me of the legendary Sir Ron comment - along the lines of "Dya want to bet against us?"

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
Good to hear and also Westy seems to have great character as well.

Indeed , good news sporting week so far after westie comments  and eastie watching  northie score for the lions :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:36:44 PM by eastie »

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »

Indeed , good news sporting week so far after westie comments  and eastie watching  northie score for the lions :)

Tim Southee got on the honours board at Lords as well .... not sure how that fits mind ...

Offline eastie

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »

Tim Southee got on the honours board at Lords as well .... not sure how that fits mind ...

Clean sweep sir !

Offline nigel

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 04:01:57 PM »
I never really understood the annoyance at the "we go again" thing. He had to say something every week, and it was hard in that period when that was really the only thing he could say in the circumstances.

This. What was he meant to say after a beating? "Well that was shit, I think we may as well give up"

I think he certainly realised the precarious nature of confidence when a team of such young kids gets so many beatings week in, week out.

I said this in the 'Season turning point' thread, and I still think it's true.

Lowton at Stoke. However, and i'm probably alone in this, i'd also go for the 15-0 week. We stuck with the same players, we stuck to doing the same things and that can only have helped the players later in the season. To go through a week like that and still be believed in by the manager must mean a lot.

And also us, we've been fantastic this season at matches. I'd like to think that's helped them as well.

Yes, I remember that quote.
I think I was the only one that agreed with you, too.  :)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
You were indeed Nigel, have I ever said you're ace?

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
All good stuff. Although it's a bit depressing if Westwood really does call it 'the Barclay's Premier League'.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 08:14:07 PM »
The youth starting to change are you starting to change the youth together together together

Offline nigel

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
You were indeed Nigel, have I ever said you're ace?

awww, shucks, PWS, I'm all embarrassed now  :)

Offline glasses

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »
The youth starting to change are you starting to change the youth together together together
Was only listening to that album yesterday

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »
Was only listening to that album yesterday

That tune kept on going through my mind whenever I looked at the thread "Our youth players.."

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

Agree with that, Paulie. From Day 1 he told the likes of Warnock and Hutton they were not wanted and got them training apart, he was protecting the lads from any potential bad influences and giving himself a chance to build up their confidence and getting them focused on what he was trying to achieve. At times it was Lambert that let the team down with his tactics. Think Bradford at home. Like the lads, Lambert still has a lot to learn but I'm overall very happy that he's doing it here. It sets a benchmark for what is expected in the future and the fans won't accept a return to MON's or TSM's type of football.

Mourinho has been for a long time somebody that tries to instill a "collective" mentality with his teams. You heard the stories from the players whilst he was at Chelsea, he'd done the same thing before at Porto and it's something Lambert has achieved with our squad. Not only are they a close knit group off the pitch, they also work endlessly for each other on it. It's no surprise that Ireland, Bannan and Holman lost favour with Lambert when they're not giving the full Ron Saunders. 90% just doesn't measure up, he expects everything and to their credit, the majority of the squad delivered.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 02:43:22 AM »
Was reading an interesting article in the Guardian archive about Paul Lambert - if you want to read it in full it is here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/22/paul-lambert-motherwell-dortmund

But I found this bit really interesting.  His deal at Motherwell had expired - though the club wanted him to renew he wanted to try something new - so he took his career in his hands and accepted a trial in Germany.  Not a contract mind you, a trial.  A trial offered by Ottmar Hitzfeld who was impressed by Lambert when the two teams had faced each other in the season before.

Lambert says...

"I walked into the dressing room at the training ground and I've seen all the players.  Dortmund had given all their German players who won Euro 96 time off but they were back ... Jürgen Kohler, Steffen Freund, Andreas Möller, Stefan Reuter, Matthias Sammer.

"I remember thinking: 'No. You're never going to do it.' There was unbelievable self-doubt, that I couldn't handle that company because when I saw the players ... He'd won Serie A, someone had won the World Cup, someone had won the European Championship, the Bundesliga titles ... and I'm coming from Motherwell on a free transfer. I was worth a bottle of Coke. Jesus!"

Lambert would end the season as Dortmund's man of the match in their Champions League final triumph over Juventus, having shackled a bloke called Zinedine Zidane in midfield and set up the opening goal of the 3-1 win for Karl-Heinz Riedle. The Glaswegian had been outstanding in both legs of the semi-final victory over Manchester United and he became the first British player to win the European Cup with a non-British club.

Not only did Lambert overcome his doubts - he became a Dortmund legend - still highly spoken of by his team mates and colleagues.   

But words are one thing actions are another - and they do say that a picture paints a thousand words - so I offer you this.

The article that goes with it is here - http://www.soccerbible.com/news/general/archive/2013/05/24/soccerbible-talks-to-paul-lambert.aspx

A team photo you might say - pretty standard.

But look again.  Look who is front and centre.  Look at how the players relate to each other.  How they are standing.  Lambert is being embraced by his super-star team mates not only on the left - but also on the right.  This image tells me just how much that team valued and respected him because he is the central focal point.  You can't fake this body language.

And given his honesty about his own doubts and fears - about the hard work he had to put in to measure up - and the fact that he grew into this team and became the integral hub of it tells me we have the right man in charge of our club.  He knows what it takes to succeed - hard work, enthusiasm, and belief

Paul Lambert.  Respect.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:47:44 AM by sonlyme »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal