collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players Respect Lambert  (Read 19270 times)

Offline sonlyme

Players Respect Lambert
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:51:23 AM »
A nice interview from the official site reveals a glimpse of what goes on behind closed doors at BMH.  It gives lie to the idea that Lambert is uncommunicative or sullen or that he doesn't talk to the players.  He may not if he sees no future for you at the club - but if he does see you as part of the future he is plainly very open and supportive.

Westwood had a good first season - and while the learning curve was a steep one - Westwood showed he had the talent to make a career for himself at the highest level.  With that hard first season under his belt I hope he can kick on and add a little strength to his game - controlling the midfield like a certain Sir Dennis Mortimer once did.

Here is the relevant part of the interview.

Westwood was thrown into the cut-and-thrust of the top-flight and excelled and now can count himself as one of the first names on the teamsheet.

He said: "From day one, the gaffer has just been unbelievable with me. I really can't thank him enough.

"He's made me feel totally at home and he's given me a chance in the Barclays Premier League.

"He has shown real faith in me and I will never forget that. That will stay with me for the rest of my career, having someone who believes in you that much.

"He said to me from the start 'if you're good enough, I will throw you in.' I took that on the moment I heard it.

"He's the same with all the players. He will give them a chance if he thinks they're ready for the task ahead.

"Training has been great with him and we've all been pushing to be involved throughout the past season.

"But from a personal perspective, he has been brilliant with me.

"The gaffer is the perfect role-model for me too. He's played in midfield and played the same game as me.

"He always has a quiet chat with me, advising me and telling me what he wants me to do. He's been a great help. He will pull me to one side from time to time and just show me one or two things.

"He won the Champions League so if he says something, you listen. You'd be daft not to.

"He's very positive in and around the place. He's always keeping spirits high and telling us to concentrate on each game as it comes along.

"Even after defeats he kept the place buzzing and the atmosphere at Bodymoor was first-class throughout the season. He's very respected in the dressing room."

Let's hope Lambert keeps this up with his other new young players and we can build something special at Villa - god knows - we've waited long enough.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Players Respect Lambert
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
Isnt it refreshing to hear young talented players talk about a young talented Manager like that.

Rather than those snakey, trecherous cnuts like Collins and Dunne causing shit and fighting with coaches

I am already looking forward to the coming season

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
Nice

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »
I got the impression that as tough as some parts of last season was that the players solidly remained behind Lambert and the coaches. We all laughed at the "we go again" statement but in the end it's what formed the bond with the players. That he reinforced his belief in the process and kept his belief in the players however bad it got. he's now brought in new players that want to prove themselves and be a part of this. We are the most settled we have been in a good number of years. Even during the MON years there was a constant undercurrent of unrest from players that didn't play often. Once the Benteke situation is resolved we can really "go again" to hopefully a good solid season.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »
Good to hear and also Westy seems to have great character as well.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
I never really understood the annoyance at the "we go again" thing. He had to say something every week, and it was hard in that period when that was really the only thing he could say in the circumstances.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
I never really understood the annoyance at the "we go again" thing. He had to say something every week, and it was hard in that period when that was really the only thing he could say in the circumstances.

This. What was he meant to say after a beating? "Well that was shit, I think we may as well give up"

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »

This. What was he meant to say after a beating? "Well that was shit, I think we may as well give up"

I think he certainly realised the precarious nature of confidence when a team of such young kids gets so many beatings week in, week out.

He got that spot on and managed their confidence very well.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »
Anything that's repeated a few times becomes subject to ridicule, especially if we're losing and/or the manager is unpopular.

"Nice bunch of lads."

"Terrific."

"We go again."

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »
This sort of team-ethic is something that money can't buy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:45:47 AM by bilsim »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
Just to clarify regarding "we go again" it was more the statement itself that became somewhat tedious to listen than the meaning behind it. For me, it symbolised what he believed in and what he was telling the players. That keep going, this will get better and you will improve. I take great heart from the second half of the season, even games like Liverpool or Chelsea where we threw away leads, that next season we will find ways to at least get something out of games like that.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »

Whereas I normally say,' that was lovely,how much do I owe you?'

Offline glasses

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »
Anything that's repeated a few times becomes subject to ridicule, especially if we're losing and/or the manager is unpopular.

"Nice bunch of lads."

"Terrific."

"We go again."

You missed out 'I like Liverpool' and 'I'm not a defensive manager'

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 02:04:28 PM »
I loved the 'we go again' anthem

But my favourite was the 'why don't you think you will be relegated'
Lambert- 'I just do'

Classic

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »
I loved the 'we go again' anthem

But my favourite was the 'why don't you think you will be relegated'
Lambert- 'I just do'

Classic

Yeah, what he really should have done when asked that question was kick Matt Kendrick into a massive hole, while shouting "This is Villa!".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal