collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our youth players..  (Read 12645 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Our youth players..
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »
I've been making a big deal about him since the next gen but I firmly believe Robinson is the one to watch, he's got everything you want for a striker playing as the left of a 3 (gabby's position).  Great control, quick, strong, can pass, can cross, is 2 footed and can turn and shoot on either and drags defenders out of their comfort zones.  His weakness is his finishing but that can be worked on, I think he'll be a bit special in a few years.

Offline Daholteend

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »
Also, does PL think they're good enough, as he's just signed 5 young players as it is?

I think that Lambert's signing of 5   young talents  should actually encourage   the youngsters that are already  here. The signings represent  some immediate needs  for positional strength  and creates competition   for places.

If  the  club  truly aspires  to a bright future Lamberts  plans to raise the  footballing standards of the  club and  academy overall should attract a higher  quality of player  to the  club.

A  club  that wants to be competitive  for a generation and not just one off  seasons  has to be constantly keep improving. I believe that  we will see  Lambert constantly  bringing in young players.

Those that succeed  will play, those  that dont  live up to their  expectations  will find a club  that fits their ability. Lichaj   is one such  player. A player with a lot of talent  but not  enough  at this time  to justify keeping him when there are other options available.

Equally, the  five  young players  that have been signed also have to  stake a claim  for a place on the    squad.  Those who are good enough  will   stay and those   who  fall short  will move on.

Of  course   some of them will have   Spuds and Arsenal sniffing around  like a  fly   around a day old  sausage!  If  we get   40M   for  a few of them and  Lambert  keeps  finding new     jewels the  club should become  successful  and profitable and we as fans  ought to   expect  to enjoy   considerably better football than we have  for a good many seasons.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »
Donacien seemed the best of our young players to me, although Grealish is good and only about 17 I think.

Online paul_e

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
Donacien seemed the best of our young players to me, although Grealish is good and only about 17 I think.

I do like both of them and I think Grealish will become an excellent midfielder, he's got lovely quick feet and is deceptively quick, big comparison coming here but I think he can be like Seedorf if he progresses well, he just has an elegance about him that is very rare, particularly in English players.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »

I do like both of them and I think Grealish will become an excellent midfielder, he's got lovely quick feet and is deceptively quick, big comparison coming here but I think he can be like Seedorf if he progresses well, he just has an elegance about him that is very rare, particularly in English players.

Being a pedant but I think Grealish is Irish.

Donacien is St. Lucian, can't think of any players we've had from there before.

Online paul_e

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »

Being a pedant but I think Grealish is Irish.

Donacien is St. Lucian, can't think of any players we've had from there before.

Sorry, that should have read players brought through English clubs, that's what I actually meant.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »
Derrick Williams perhaps?

He actually came on at QPR and was on the bench at the end of last season. You know Vlaar and especially Baker will miss games through injury next season.

Baker's injuries are likely to be concussions with the way he keeps putting his head into places where others are kicking.

I've thought for years that we don't get enough of our kids in decent season-long, playing most games, type of loans. Is that because we've been holding onto them (probably yes in recent years with such a small squad) or is it because clubs aren't particularly interested in some of them? For how well heralded our youth system is, their doesn't tend to be many individuals talents. Weimann's probably the only one of the recent batch. Our successes at youth levels tend to be because we're good at putting teams together at that level. I really hope we can raise the standard of individual talents as well building the teams and that we develop them ready for 1st team football by getting them one or two season long loans where they're playing regularly.

I've been saying for a long time that maybe the emphasis is wrong in our youth set up, too much stress on producing good youth teams that win trophies and not enough on developing top, mentally strong  individual players with great technique.   I'm not sure Southampton have won many youth competitions but they have managed to produce much better individual players over the last few years.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »
It's pretty difficult to pinpoint how/where we going wrong though as cosching an individual or team still requires good coaching. 

However I do think we under use the loan system choosing to keep the players in house rather than letting them play real matches. 

Online paul_e

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
Derrick Williams perhaps?

He actually came on at QPR and was on the bench at the end of last season. You know Vlaar and especially Baker will miss games through injury next season.

Baker's injuries are likely to be concussions with the way he keeps putting his head into places where others are kicking.

I've thought for years that we don't get enough of our kids in decent season-long, playing most games, type of loans. Is that because we've been holding onto them (probably yes in recent years with such a small squad) or is it because clubs aren't particularly interested in some of them? For how well heralded our youth system is, their doesn't tend to be many individuals talents. Weimann's probably the only one of the recent batch. Our successes at youth levels tend to be because we're good at putting teams together at that level. I really hope we can raise the standard of individual talents as well building the teams and that we develop them ready for 1st team football by getting them one or two season long loans where they're playing regularly.

I've been saying for a long time that maybe the emphasis is wrong in our youth set up, too much stress on producing good youth teams that win trophies and not enough on developing top, mentally strong  individual players with great technique.   I'm not sure Southampton have won many youth competitions but they have managed to produce much better individual players over the last few years.

I don't think that's the case.  Our problem for a long time has been that our youth teams have been setup to play in a specific way, right the way up to the reserves, but our first team hasn't played that type of football before, so they come through and look lost.  We've had a massive disconnect between the first team and the club for a while, I think Lambert has us playing football more suited to them now though, so I'm optimistic that our young prospects will have a better time of it from here on.

Offline supertom

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »
Sounds like we have some good 17-18 year old players coming through. I guess though, Lambert will work them in slowly over the next 2-3 years. They'll start becoming more involved when they're in their early 20's, that age that Lambo's young signings tend to be. They're young yes, but they've normally had a good amount of playing time at their clubs before they join.

I think for some of these lads it'll be beneficial to get them out on loans whilst they're 18 or so. Get them play pro footy at a good level to see how they cope. There's only so much you can learn from seeing players at youth or reserve level. Some of our players who've come through and have now hit that sort of 23-24 age could have done with a little more loan time in their younger days. It could have helped to get. When Alby and Bannan were first breaking in they were kept around the squad but not used much, aside from the Wafer Cup which didn't help much. O Neill could have worked them in a bit better, or sent them on loan earlier, which would have been more beneficial. Alby hasn't been on loan yet. I think that may have hurt him slightly. BB had a decent season at Blackpool, and a few shorter stints but perhaps a more substantial loan a bit earlier might have helped him a bit more. Even at Pool he only played 22 games. Obviously we can't guarantee a player loaned out will play every game, but maybe going League 1 or 2 at 18 might have helped, where he'd be more likely to get 30-40 appearences.

Get some of these lads out playing as regular as possible at 18. If we call on them at 20 they'll be more ready. If they don't make the grade in the end, so be it. Most of our youngens will still manage a solid career at L1, or the Championship you'd imagine.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:36 PM »
What's really important is that none of these kids are asked to play first team football for us at PL level unless they are truly ready to do so. Ideally they have served a proper apprenticeship at a club lower down to adjust their body and mind to the rigours of the professional game. We only want the truly exceptional to come through and not players that come through, shine briefly and disappear. We've had enough of those.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
I think the club is lacking a bit of strategic vision here.  We should buddy up with a club and send a good number of our youth players to them.  Swindon was suggested previously and they do seem a good fit with KMac in charge.

Online paul_e

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »
I agree on both of those, finding a couple of clubs we can link up with to loan out 1-2 each year would be perfect.  Maybe Swindon can be one of them and I'd love to get something together with a dutch or german club as well, in fact screw it, the club can ask me to try to get hold of someone at Brann if they like, it's probably about L2 level.  If the kids can play away from home they'd get plenty of game time (Brann's league record is 7 in 7 at home and 0 in 6 away so far this year).

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »
We just produce a lot of average players. No real top drawer players, in my opinion.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
A pal of mine who follows Bristol City has told me today that they're signing Derrick Williams on a permanent deal.
I think that would be a great signing for them, and shows that Derrick Williams' ambition to play 1st team football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal