collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Heritage Day  (Read 3883 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Aston Heritage Day
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
It's taking pla ce this Saturday 22nd June. More details are here  http://www.bmag.org.uk/events?id=2688

Offline andyaston

Re: Aston Heritage Day
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
And very interesting it is as well. There are some spectacular buildings in Aston.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »
I'm definitelty going one year.

Offline Villa-Villan

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:09:22 PM »
Having grown up in the 60's in Aston, I found this site and photos very interesting and yet tinged with a little sadness.

The comments below each picture are interesting as well.

I was surprised to see how many people from the area emigrated to Australia!?

http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/old_bham&page=1

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
Having grown up in the 60's in Aston, I found this site and photos very interesting and yet tinged with a little sadness.

I've just spent over an hour looking at these photo's on this site.  What wonderful nostalgia; from a place where I've worked to a place where I've lived; to the road where my father was born.  Thank you for posting.

Ballsed the quote thing up again, Doh!  :(

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:59:03 PM by dave shelley »

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
Great collection of photos there.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »
It's surprising what there is when you take the trouble to look. I came across this a few weeks back, the Aston Viaduct which spanned the Lichfield Road. It's from a book published in 1839.

It was partially demolished in the early 1900s to allow for trams and again in the 1990s when the road was made dual carriageway. Some arches on the canal side of the road remain and are grade II listed.

http://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-a/aston/

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
Some of the things I learned today - Aston Parish Church has the tenth biggest clock face in England and the two best examples of whatever those tombs are called when there's a statute of the deceased lying on top of them in the country.

Offline Villa-Villan

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 08:21:57 AM »

I've just spent over an hour looking at these photo's on this site.  What wonderful nostalgia; from a place where I've worked to a place where I've lived; to the road where my father was born.  Thank you for posting.

Ballsed the quote thing up again, Doh!  :(

That's OK Dave!

I'm pleased you enjoyed the photos etc.

Yes, I agree, you can easily spend at least an hour looking at the photos and reflect on the past.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
Did the tour include a trip round Tesco?

Offline KKAVFC

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
I went to a few of the venues included on the list yesterday. Due to time constraints I only managed 3 but hope to do the rest if/ when it takes place again. The Villa tour was excellent mainly due to our guide for who nothing was too much trouble. it was great to be able to go round in a small group so you could stop & take a few photos without being jostled ! I didn't know we had the widest tunnel in the premiership & that we have also been voted as the best club for hospitality in the same league ! Full marks to Villa for this one !
I also did Aston Hall, beautiful building and the gardens are superb, I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone on here who has not visited it before. I only spent 20 minutes or so in Aston Old Church which if I am not mistaken is the oldest building in the vicinity. It was such a shame to see another beautiful architectural masterpiece crumbling due to age, neglect, poor workmanship in places & a lack of funds. There is an ongoing appeal to prevent further water leakage from the roof & other areas. Shame they probably don't qualify for lottery funding. The day was capped off nicely by a spin on an old fashioned bus in the old BC Council livery of cream & dark blue/ black. This was taking people between the various places on the day so I hitched a ride to the Barton's Arms which again is a beautiful old building with loads of character, tiles, mosaics & stain glassed windows aplenty. All in all a wonderful, free day out but I wouldn't have minded paying if I had to as it would have been money well spent. On this occasion a big well done to the organisers and the Council.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »
There was about 30 people on my tour, and a few of them said it was the first time they'd been inside the ground. There was also one old bloke who'd missed the 1957 cup final because he was in Singapore doing National Service but said he didn't mind too much because he knew there'd be another one in a couple of years that he could see. The tour guide was friendly, enthusiastic and very people-focused but the less said about the accuracy of what they said, the better .

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 05:50:47 PM »
Gutted I missed this , will definitely go next year if it's on. They used to do Aston Hall by cane light aswell which was cool, not sure they do that still. There are some lovely old buildings in Aston for sure including the Villa Tavern, the old public baths opposite and The Brittannia pub which is some sort of curry house now but is surely a listed facade ?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
Gutted I missed this , will definitely go next year if it's on. They used to do Aston Hall by cane light aswell which was cool, not sure they do that still.

In the run up to Christmas.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal