collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Replacing Stan #19  (Read 4484 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

Replacing Stan #19
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »
Taking the current squad into account, inc new signings, we do not appear to have a 'proper' replacement for Stan on board yet ...

This is a concern as we don't have anyone who appears to be a) captain material (yet) or b) a central midfielder who can slow the play down when needed, have that cool head when needed and score goals from midfield on occasions.

What does the panel think ?

Do we need to replace Stan 'man for man' or can we play another type of game ?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Replacing Stan #19
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:18:57 PM »
If you look at the second half of last season it does look like we've found a different kind of game now.  Sylla is no Petrov but in his own way he did make a difference as did the return of Vlaar.

My concern is what happens if Vlaar gets injured again.  He is the 'experienced head' out there and there doesn't appear to be any backup if crocks himself.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »
Westwood covers everything on that list except for the 'scoring a few goals' bit.

I'd be very surprised if he isn't the backup captain when Vlaar isn't available.

If the rest of the midfielders can add some goals to their game I don't mind Westwood not scoring, we don't need all the midfielders to score, a couple of them getting in the goals is important though.

I think Vlaar might get a few of the goals you've normally expect from the defensive midfielder, he's got a great long shot on him and is willing to break into that space 30-35 yards out and have a go.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
I think Westwood potentially. He could be a captain. He can also slow the play down too, but I'm not sure in any case that is in Lamberts philosophy. Like Petrov, Westy is good at reading the game. He makes a lot of interceptions, perhaps more than getting his foot in and tackling (similar with Stan). He rarely wastes the ball.

I think we'll be okay personally. Some of the young lads will be all the better for last season. Westy, Lowton in particular. I'd hope KEA will improve, and Delph is turning into a really good midfielder. If Vlaar is out, I think there's captains ready to step in with Guzan, Westy and Gabby of course.

I'd be more concerned about finding a midfielder who'll score goals. We may just have that with Bacuna. Tonev should contribute too, though if he plays as one of the 3 up top, do you count him as a midfielder?

Perhaps one of our signings could be a more experienced player, akin to Vlaar. Not necessarily prem experience but someone who's played enough big matches and could potentially be a skipper too.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
I think Westwood aswell within 18 months will mould into a Stan type dictator of play in central midfield, not on Petrov level obviously last season but some really good games and play at times.

Way I'm seeing central midfield for next season is Westwood.....Delph/Sylla.....new attacking central midfielder/Gary Gardner.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:25 PM »
Replacing Stan in a leadership role I think is easy with the current crop of players - Guzan. Watch him next time we have a pre-match huddle and Vlaar is off tossing the coin, Guzan is the one that does the talking.

Maybe Scott Parker to come to Villa as the 'old head'?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:58 PM »
The midfield three that closed out the season have done enough to keep their place in the starting XI  - barring injury or a serious loss of form in pre season.

All of them are more mobile than Stan - even if they aren't all as tactically aware and cute in possession as he was.  The way we play now, mobility and closing players down quickly are key attributes needed in the centre of the park.  As such, I don't think we will see a like for like replacement.

The more attack minded players who have come in recently mean we can switch things around if things aren't working for us - something we badly lacked last season.   My guess is we might see another attacking midfielder brought in - if we can offload two of Bannan, Ireland and N'Zog.   But I don't think we'll see an older Petrov-type coming in.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »
Westwood was bought as Petrov's replacement in the sense that he's often the out ball and keeps the retention of the ball.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:17 PM »
Paul Lambert has spoken about his desire to have a squad of players who are 100% devoted to Aston Villa. It will therefore be a difficult task to recruit experienced players, not sure how many firmly established 28-30 year old's would fancy coming here (with our relativly low wage bill) when they could get a payday elsewhere.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »
On the subject of Stan are we to continue with the 19th Minute acknowledgement now that he is actively working for the club again?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »
Time to let it go, in all honesty.  Stan is on the mend, and we don't want to appear too mawkish. Maybe retire the no 19 shirt.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
I thought there was closure at the end of the season with him waving to the fans and being on the bench at Wigan.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »
Time to let it go, in all honesty.  Stan is on the mend, and we don't want to appear too mawkish. Maybe retire the no 19 shirt.

Agree, leave the shirt empty for the time being (I don't like permanently retiring a shirt) but let the applause go now, it'd be a bit creepy to carry it on when he's fit enough to be back in work with the club.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
The 19th minute applause will go now, but I'm concerned that we really do lack that bit of authority / experience in the middle of the park.

As for the captain, Im not in favour of having a GK as captain.

We need an old bloke, about 28 I'd say !!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »
I would have liked the club to have offered putting the number 19 in small font on the shirts supporters purchased. They could ask a nominal fee with proceeds going towards leukaemia research, or better do it as a donation. That way fans can show their respect for him by always wearing his number and raise money for a great cause at the same time. The applause was great last season but it should come to an end now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal