collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:55:35 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by coreyfeldman
[Today at 10:53:56 AM]

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 10:49:11 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Six fixtures arranged to mark the Football League's 125th anniversary.  (Read 6883 times)

Offline Desi

Burnley will entertain Bolton on the opening weekend of the new season, 3-4 August, as one of six games to mark the Football League's 125th anniversary.

Burnley and neighbours Bolton are two of the Football League's 12 founder clubs, while the Clarets' Turf Moor home is one of only three grounds still in use that hosted matches during the first season.

Derby, Blackburn, Wolverhampton, Preston and Notts County are also among the 12 founder members of the competition, the idea for which started to take shape on 2 March 1888.

It was on that date that William McGregor, then secretary of Aston Villa, sent out a letter suggesting "that 10 or 12 of the most prominent clubs in England combine to arrange home and away fixtures each season".

Two weeks later, a meeting took place at Anderton's Hotel on Fleet Street in London to discuss the idea and the plans began to be made for the 1888-89 season, which was won by an undefeated Preston

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22894378

Offline eastie

Prefer albion rather than everton or stoke on the opening day .

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
We're no longer members of the Football League so we're not involved.

Offline eastie

We're no longer members of the Football League so we're not involved.

Maybe would be nice for stoke everton , villa and Albion to be paired up on the opening day though  as mcgregor was a big part in our history .

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
I think a better way to mark the occassion would be to play the Albion on the last day of the season to mark their return to the football league.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
I think a better way to mark the occassion would be to play the Albion on the last day of the season to mark their return to the football league.

oh yes please...

Offline eastie

I certainly think they will struggle next season .

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM

That would be lovely.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Is it confirmed that the PL is ignoring this or are they just keeping it under wraps until the fixtures are released tomorrow?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Quite a lot of talk on Twitter that we will have Everton first up. After playing Martinez' Wigan last game, and his first game in charge of Wigan was against us, he has a bit of history with our great club. I hope we beat him for once if true!

Offline eastie

Is it confirmed that the PL is ignoring this or are they just keeping it under wraps until the fixtures are released tomorrow?

No idea, the report mentions 6 games though
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:33:53 PM by eastie »

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014

No idea, the report mentions 6 games though and the 7 other original teams can only play in 4 football league games as the other 4 clubs are in the premiership.

OK, is anyone else scratching their head at that?

Eastie - it takes two teams to play a game, so if their are 6 fixtures that would count for all 12 founding clubs.

Offline markus209

I don't think the premiership is involved in this. The 6 games they mention according the the website are;

Anniversary Fixture Programme:

Championship

Burnley v Bolton Wanderers
Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

League 1

Preston North End v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Sheffield United v Notts County

League 2

Newport County v Accrington Stanley
Rochdale v Hartlepool United

http://fl125.co.uk/anniversary-fixtures

Offline eastie

No idea, the report mentions 6 games though and the 7 other original teams can only play in 4 football league games as the other 4 clubs are in the premiership.

OK, is anyone else scratching their head at that?

Eastie - it takes two teams to play a game, so if their are 6 fixtures that would count for all 12 founding clubs.

Notts co and accrington can't pair up so i guess their individual  games make the 5 in that case, Rochdale v hartlepool is odd though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:36:24 PM by eastie »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
The League 2 ones are a bit strange since none of those mentioned were founder members.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal