collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: First Team  (Read 21114 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: First Team
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
How can anyone put forward a best XI and include players we've never seen play in the premier league before?

This. I'd probably start with the team that finished the season and blend the others in.

Offline eastie

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
How can anyone put forward a best XI and include players we've never seen play in the premier league before?

This. I'd probably start with the team that finished the season and blend the others in.

That's what pre- season is for to blend players in and get a settled team and build fitness, started with new players last season and i see no reason okore and bacuna shouldn't start if they perform well in pre season.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »

see I wouldn't. They should all fight for their places again. It's still a team that finished just above the relegation zone but one that is being built on the fact that no job is safe. If day one Westwood isn't in the starting line up, as an example, then it's on him because somebody has done better in pre-season or training. Not that I expect that to be the case.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »
Using the right subs at the right time will be a big factor next season, I feel, and it may take some time for Lambert to perfect it.

Online Clampy

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »

see I wouldn't. They should all fight for their places again. It's still a team that finished just above the relegation zone but one that is being built on the fact that no job is safe. If day one Westwood isn't in the starting line up, as an example, then it's on him because somebody has done better in pre-season or training. Not that I expect that to be the case.

I see where you're coming from. Maybe pre-season form will dictate who plays and who dose'nt. I can't think of too many players out of the 11 that finished the season who i'd drop though. The midfield three of Sylla, Delph and Westwood for instance looked like they were developing an understanding.

As for Paulie's point, people are putting players in their starting line ups who they have'nt even seen play. I would'nt play Tonev instead of Gabby for instance because i don't know if he's any better because i have'nt seen him.

Offline eastie

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 03:08:37 PM »
This dear clampy, is where we trust in mr lambert's judgement .

The forward three looked good i agree , but there's no doubt okore is an upgrade on our current central defenders and i include Vlaar in that.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »
I feel Clark's days are numbered now. Baker's new contract, Okore signing.....last year should have been the season he established himself and he didn't.

I'm quite disappointed as I had high hopes for him.

Offline eastie

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »
I feel Clark's days are numbered now. Baker's new contract, Okore signing.....last year should have been the season he established himself and he didn't.

Clark is a useful player as he can cover defence, full back or defensive midfield - he is worth keeping and its up to him to take his chance when it comes.

Online Clampy

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »

Of course we do, but i'm not Mr Lambert. I'm just saying that i can't sit here and pick Bacuna ahead of Sylla because i have'nt seen Bacuna play. That's the point Paulie was making and i agree.

Offline eastie

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »

Of course we do, but i'm not Mr Lambert. I'm just saying that i can't sit here and pick Bacuna ahead of Sylla because i have'nt seen Bacuna play. That's the point Paulie was making and i agree.

Maybe but its not for real is it , just a bit of fun - i think it will also depend on opposition , a tough away game and sylla is the man but a team who need to be broken down like stoke then maybe bacuna would get the nod- the good thing is we now have decent options not the likes of bannan, Ireland and Bowery.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 03:25:16 PM »
Guzan

Lowton
Vlaar
Okore
Bennett

Sylla
Westwood
Delph

Weimann
Helenius
Gabby

I fear the worst with Benteke. Sad face emoticon.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »

I still Clark has a lot to offer and that he can be an important player for us.

He was largely a victim of circumstance last year.  Just when the whole team started to show some form he got injured and couldn't get back in.  Over the Christmas period where the wheels came off he was under far too much pressure for a guy who was still very much in a situation of proving he could be a regular, to add senior defender and captain on top of that was unavoidable but incredibly harsh.

He needs to cut out the errors in judgement (like the man city goal) and he needs to get his confidence in his own ability back but we shouldn't be dumping him just yet.

Offline eastie

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
Guzan

Lowton
Vlaar
Okore
Bennett

Sylla
Westwood
Delph

Weimann
Helenius
Gabby

I fear the worst with Benteke. Sad face emoticon.

If so Percy and he is sold then surely with the big money for him we would buy 2 or 3 others including maybe a striker other than helenius - lets hope he stays , but I am starting to fear the worst too.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »

Clark is a useful player as he can cover defence, full back or defensive midfield - he is worth keeping and its up to him to take his chance when it comes.

Aargh how many times am I going to hear that Clark can cover full back. Sure he can if you are happy with an absolutely cack full back in the team, but otherwise no.  Not to mention he isn't even very good in his main position of CB.  He had his chance last season and he blew it big time.  I'd get shot of him while there may still be people out there who actually think he can play at PL level.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »
I really don't want to lose Benteke but if he doesn't see the potential in this squad and want to be part of it, then let him have his move for as much money as we can get.  We've had our fingers burned too many times to not realise that footballers these days have absolutely zero loyalty.  It's the way the game has become.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal