collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: First Team  (Read 21105 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
First Team
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »
Although I do think Lambert is building a squad and not just a first team, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought our strongest 11 is, in whatever formation you like, now we've signed a few players.  Obviosuly, this can then evolve as we sign more and start seeing them in pre-season.

Anyway, here's mine playing a 4-3-3-:-
Guzan

Lowton
Vlaar
Okore
Bennett

Delph
Westwood
Sylla

Weimann
Benteke
Tonev

I think that midfield three worked well the end of last season, so it's up to Bacuna to fight his way into it.  I've included Tonev as I've always felt Gabby would be a great impact player from the bench, but we've rarely had the attacking options to use him that way.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
Re: First Team
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
Very harsh on Gabby after the season he's had to suggest dropping him for a player we've not seen play yet.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »
Fooking hell. 4-3-3, liquid football, full backs getting up front? Thank you based Lambert. I enjoy watching us play again.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
I think Gabby has to start based on his end of season form, plus he is the only real experience we have. Other than that I would have to agree.
It does beg the question, where can/should we improve?

I think the jury is out on Bennet. Definitely has potential, but needs to up his defensive side to be a long term LB. I would like to sign another LB to, at least, give him some competition.

Vlaar was ok last year, 6/10 kind of form for me, but clearly is a good influence. A lot is already expected of Okore, so we have to see how he handles that. I would be more comfortable if we had another CB, perhaps a utility type Defender who can cover all across the back 4 (we do need some cover for Lowton with Lichaj gone).

Centre Midfield - I am pleased with how the 3 of them finished the season, Westwood was impressive pretty much all year. I am worried about the 2nd season syndrome with him in particular. I think a lot of managers will have seen how he makes us tick and put more pressure on him. All in all, I think it is unlikely these 3 will play all 38 games at the level required, so another CM is very much needed in my opinion.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
I don't think there will be a first team as such, maybe the exception being Benteke and Guzan. I think players will be rested and most will be involved. I don't think you will see anyone frozen out our being a permanent sub

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »
Based on the high probability that we won't be signing a guaranteed first team player (not that I'm complaining about that, it just seems like PL won't be signing, for example, Messi), then for the first game of the season, I'd go with:

Guzan

Lowton
Vlaar
Okore\Baker\Clark - not really sure about this one
Bennett

Delph
Westwood
Sylla

Weimann
Benteke
Gabby

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
I don't think there will be a first team as such, maybe the exception being Benteke and Guzan. I think players will be rested and most will be involved. I don't think you will see anyone frozen out our being a permanent sub

I'd agree with that and pretty much said it in my opening post.

As for what you say about Benteke, I think that also goes for Vlaar (captain), Lowton, Westwood and of course Guzan.  I'm hoping Okore quickly also puts himself in that category as if he did that would go a long way to curing our achilles heel from last season.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »
From what we know now (and assuming the disposal of the likely suspects), the players at Lambert's disposal currently are:
Guzan, Siegrist
Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Herd, Baker, Clark, Bennett, Stevens, Williams, Donacien
Bacuna, Gardner, Sylla, Westwood, Delph, KEA, Tonev, Albrighton, Johnson
Weimann, Benteke, Gabby, Helenius, Bowery, Burke

The likely must-picks are Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Westwood and Benteke.

For the rest, it is going to depend on (i) who we're playing against, (ii) the desired formation / set-up and (iii) form and fitness.

It's a callow squad, to be sure, but there's physicality, guile and goals in there. The key will be our ability to stop conceding.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »
The way that we finished last season, it should be up to the new signings to play themselves into the team through looking good in training, sub appearances etc. The one exception I might make to that is Okore in central defence. It's the one area where we still obviously had issues at the end of the season.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »
The way that we finished last season, it should be up to the new signings to play themselves into the team through looking good in training, sub appearances etc. The one exception I might make to that is Okore in central defence. It's the one area where we still obviously had issues at the end of the season.

Yep would agree with that.  I think Okore would go straight into the side and if we buy an established left back, Bennett might lose his place.  Apart from that, I think the rest of players who finished last season in the team will go into pre-season as first choice.  That could leave us with a much stronger bench of:

Herd, Baker, Tonev, Helenius, Bacuna, KEA, Gardner and a sub keeper.   

Offline supertom

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 12:51:41 PM »
Much depends on pre-season as well I guess. Personally I think Okore starts from the off. He looks that good. He's also got the pace we don't have anywhere else at CH. He's first name in for me. Vlaar then plays too because he's the skipper.

Other than that I'd probably stay as is. Weimann's form dropped toward the end, so Tonev will be pushing him all the way.

The key next season is that we don't overplay anyone. Plays will get rested when needs be because we'll have better personnel to come in. Bannan and Holman for example just aren't adequate. I'd expect and hope Bacuna could have far more impact on a game. I also think KEA will improve dramatically next season too.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
Helenius hasn't signed yet and has apparently said he's not coming to sit on the bench! Things have also gone quiet with Benteke, he doesn't look to be rushing to sign an extension to his contract.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »
guaranteed for me - end of season form

Guzan  Lowton  Okore Vlarr Westwood Benteke

there is only one way to find out for the rest - fight  ;)

Offline eastie

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »
                       Guzan

Lowton.     Okore.    Vlaar.    Bennett

Bacuna.    Westwood.   Delph

Weimann.   Benteke.   Gabby

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
guaranteed for me - end of season form

Guzan  Lowton  Okore Vlarr Westwood Benteke

there is only one way to find out for the rest - fight  ;)

How can you include Okore when he has no end of season form at Villa to judge by?  And what about Gabby, Sylla and Delph?  They were all excellent in the second half of last season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal