collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 1980s Villa Park Nike ad  (Read 15891 times)

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
Re: 1980s Villa Park Nike ad
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
Re Nike adverts, I was in Cardiff that summer and in a shoe shopthere was a brilliant poster of Peter Withe celebrating in the net after his goal v Bayern (IIRC it was pretty big too). I went in and asked if I could have it when they had finished but obviously I never heard off them.

Did anybody else ever see that poster?

Yes, that was a great poster. I saw it in sport shop in Aberdeen

Offline peter w

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »
You know I never really really liked the shirt at thetime because ithadtoo much blue. The same as a poster said about next  seasons shirton that thread. but back then as a kid with a conscious memory of Villa- from77 onwards - I supported a club that was used to winning trophies and playing usually good and winning games. 4 trophies in 5 years including the two biggest ones (yes still the FA Cup most yearned for). Itwas all we had to gripe about. This years kit harksw me back to that time and so I can't be too disappointed with the amount of blue. If Lambert can getus going in the right direction thosedays really might not be too far away.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:22 PM »

I'd forgotten about the cool '3D' numbers! I demand they be reintroduced!

Offline Sam Smith

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
Re Nike adverts, I was in Cardiff that summer and in a shoe shopthere was a brilliant poster of Peter Withe celebrating in the net after his goal v Bayern (IIRC it was pretty big too). I went in and asked if I could have it when they had finished but obviously I never heard off them.

There was a sports shop in Shirley called Barry's Sports which had one. My Mom flirted with said Barry and he gave it to her when he had finished with it. Mom framed it and it was hanging in her lounge for years. For my 21st my mates got it off her and had it signed. "To Sam, best wishes, Peter Withe. BE GOOD! It now has pride of place amongst my other memorabilia. It's class.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »

One of the great losses of 1980s football.

Right up there with commentaries on matches abroad being done over the telephone, matches behind the Iron Curtain where there were crowds of 90,000 and 85,000 of them were in drab uniform, and those team line up graphics where the names went diagonally down the screen.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
Anyone else remember the Ansells advert that was on TV straight after the final?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »

There was a sports shop in Shirley called Barry's Sports which had one. My Mom flirted with said Barry and he gave it to her when he had finished with it. Mom framed it and it was hanging in her lounge for years. For my 21st my mates got it off her and had it signed. "To Sam, best wishes, Peter Withe. BE GOOD! It now has pride of place amongst my other memorabilia. It's class.

I haven't even got the programme anymore.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »
For an idea how much football has changed, I have a copy of the reissue the Evening Mail did of their edition the day after we won it, and it got about a third of the front page.

These days (for any club) it'd be a 20 page special.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »
Panic over!

It has been found.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 11:49:09 PM »
Barry's Sports in Shirley?

I am now getting 1980s local retail crossover confusion, mixing that place with Barry's barbers and fishing tackle shop on the corner of Stratford Road and School Road, by the Three Horseshoes in Hall Green.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »

One of the great losses of 1980s football.

Right up there with commentaries on matches abroad being done over the telephone, matches behind the Iron Curtain where there were crowds of 90,000 and 85,000 of them were in drab uniform, and those team line up graphics where the names went diagonally down the screen.

Alright, alright I feel old enough!

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 11:57:25 PM »
T
Anyone else remember the Ansells advert that was on TV straight after the final?
No. Tell us more PWS!
I was on the phone to brother, sister, Mum and Dad, cousins Kevin, Les and Tony and mates Dave, Steve and DaveII. Epic!
And I was crying!

Offline Sam Smith

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:53 PM »
Barry's Sports in Shirley?

I am now getting 1980s local retail crossover confusion, mixing that place with Barry's barbers and fishing tackle shop on the corner of Stratford Road and School Road, by the Three Horseshoes in Hall Green.

It was by Dhillons newsagents and the Plumbers on Shakespeare drive. It wasn't there long.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »
T
No. Tell us more PWS!
I was on the phone to brother, sister, Mum and Dad, cousins Kevin, Les and Tony and mates Dave, Steve and DaveII. Epic!
And I was crying!

My dad and sister went to Rotterdam but I had to stay home and watch it on TV with my mom. Pretty much straight after the game they went to an ad break and the first one was an Ansells ad. It started with you seeing a bloke sat in a chair with a dog at his feet (you could only see the bloke from legs down iirc). He shouts "we've done it" and goes down the pub with his dog. Honestly, i'm not making it up!

As an aside, watching the final was the first time I swore in front of my mom, I was 12 and it was when Bayern scored.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »
T
No. Tell us more PWS!
And I was crying!

My dad and sister went to Rotterdam but I had to stay home and watch it on TV with my mom. Pretty much straight after the game they went to an ad break and the first one was an Ansells ad. It started with you seeing a bloke sat in a chair with a dog at his feet (you could only see the bloke from legs down iirc). He shouts "we've done it" and goes down the pub with his dog. Honestly, i'm not making it up!

As an aside, watching the final was the first time I swore in front of my mom, I was 12 and it was when Bayern scored.
Brilliant!
Just love it!
Remember phoning my brother and not knowing what to say. We cried over the phone but didn't really say any words.
My Mrs came down from upstairs and said "why are you shouting" and I think I dribbled a reply made up of grunts and blubbers!
We were European Champions FFS! Aston Villa! European Champions!!!
Like winning away at Oldham but FU**IN' massive!
Well done Ansells!
Aston born and brewed!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal