collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: This summer feeling like summer of 95  (Read 11044 times)

Offline MoetVillan

Re: This summer feeling like summer of 95
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »
What is so exciting about Liverpool?  Replacing Freddie Mercury with Aspa or Carragher with Toure (The old one)?  Gerrard a year older?  Sturridge injured?  Im hopeful we can finish close to them

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
What is so exciting about Liverpool?  Replacing Freddie Mercury with Aspa or Carragher with Toure (The old one)?  Gerrard a year older?  Sturridge injured?  Im hopeful we can finish close to them

lifelong never been to Anfield Liverpool fan thought when the story broke about Toure going to them ....yep you guessed it he thought it was the good one.....tit

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
lifelong never been to Anfield Liverpool fan thought when the story broke about Toure going to them ....yep you guessed it he thought it was the good one.....tit

;D

Offline OasisVillain

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
Remember the summer of 95?

We signed relatively un known players .

We had a young manager on the way up

We had a tough season the year before

I am getting same excitement levels this summer , we had then and its looking really positive .

I had that exact same thought last night, with all the new signings coming in it's similar to when we got Draper, Southgate, Milosevic et al.......... I have a feeling good times lie ahead

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »

Knob

;D

Offline Dr Butler

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »

Knob

;D

lol.. do you know him Rob ?  he has a big tattoo of Jamie Carragher on his arm with 500 underneath it.....a proper fan he calls himself.

UTV
The Doc

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »
The summer of 1995 was my favourite as a villa fan and this one is indeed similar. I can see us 'surprising a few' next year again.

Oddly, this summer also reminds me of other good close seasons such as '04 and '06. I think the arrival of José at Chelsea takes me back to the days when we used to be their bogey team. Us stealing a march on them with Okore suggests we may, yet again, be a bit of a thorn in Mourinho's side.

All in all, feeling the good times.

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
Paul Lambert is Brad Pitt in Moneyball.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »

Knob

;D

lol.. do you know him Rob ?  he has a big tattoo of Jamie Carragher on his arm with 500 underneath it.....a proper fan he calls himself.

UTV
The Doc

I don't and I don't want to know him.

Is the tatoo story real? Surely not?

Offline Dr Butler

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »
oh yes.....he also told everyone in our local pub that he was going to Man Utd vs Liverpool that saturday, us thinking how the fuck did he get tickets for it.

..........we eventually found out he drove to Livepool to watch the game in a Scouse pub......the game was at Old Trafford..

he is twat of the highest order..

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
What happened Draper after a very good start to his  Villa career? Seem to remember him coming on to good effect in UEFA cup ties under Gregory but was it off pitch issues that caused the fall of grace in the first place?

Savo had great ability and was a huge signing for the club at the time. Remember being so excited when we signed him, young player with a phenomenal scoring record in Belgrade. Didn't work out though.

Out of the three, Southgate was the unheralded one but turned out to be a great player for us. Jagielka esque signing from Little at the time.

It could be that Bacuna may turn out to be the most successful of this lot.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
What happened Draper after a very good start to his  Villa career?

I always wondered that.  I remember going in to the see the FA Cup Semi Final and seeing a group of girls playing with a skipping rope and singing "He's got no hair but he don't care Mark Draper".  Very surreal.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »

Nothing particularly exciting, I just think they will improve this year. Coutinho looks a great signing. Rodgers, despite some of the s*** he comes out with is a good manager and I think they will spend big. Aspas is very highly rated and selling Suarez could be a blessing in disguise for them.
I'm not expecting a title challenge or anything near it, but I do expect them to take advantage of Moyes leaving Everton and also close the gap on the likes of Spurs.

Online Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »

Nothing particularly exciting, I just think they will improve this year. Coutinho looks a great signing. Rodgers, despite some of the s*** he comes out with is a good manager and I think they will spend big. Aspas is very highly rated and selling Suarez could be a blessing in disguise for them.
I'm not expecting a title challenge or anything near it, but I do expect them to take advantage of Moyes leaving Everton and also close the gap on the likes of Spurs.

I wasn't impressed by Rodgers' Liverpool at all last season.  Without Suarez's goals they would have been a lot further down the league, so it remains to be seen what they do without him, if he goes, which I expect he will.  No Carragher and Gerrard a year older.

They'll still be top half, but I'd be very surprised to see them finish any higher than they did last season.   

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »
This feels better than 95 to be honest. We may have had a brush with relegation, but we had not long before won a trophy and still had some good players on the books.

As good as Lambert has been so far, he has had the advantage of following the worst act for decades. The contrast between what is happening now at VP and the state we were in when McLeish was sent packing is fairly stark.

I'm looking forward to August. I just hope the season doesn't start with Norwich at home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal