collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: This summer feeling like summer of 95  (Read 11067 times)

Offline richardhubbard

This summer feeling like summer of 95
« on: June 13, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »
Remember the summer of 95?

We signed relatively un known players .

We had a young manager on the way up

We had a tough season the year before

I am getting same excitement levels this summer , we had then and its looking really positive .

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: This summer feeling like summer of 95
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Good call. Feels very similar.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
Aug 95. The last time we beat that Newton Heath lot at VP.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
If next season is anywhere near as good as 95/96 we're in for a cracker.  I'm not going to get to over-optimistic based on a few YouTube clips, but I'm loving the way that Lambert had seemingly identified his targets, got all his ducks in a row and concluding the deals early.  Hopefully they'll all work out, but if they don't, it won't be for the wont of a full pre-season of integration.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:28:58 PM »
All this is helping to boost the clubs profile as well, no bad thing during negotiations with future signings or wavering current players (Christian Benteke i fear). Anything that puts us on the back pages is welcome.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 07:04:30 PM »
That was an exciting season all right. Savo, Draper and Southgate rejuvenated the side that was almost relegated the season before. Let's hope we match that team, finish in the European places and win a domestic cup final.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
I got my first real six string.
Bought it from Woolworth's.
Played it till my mum threw it in the bin

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
Either that or it's a big push to retain the next gen cup at all costs!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »
Aug 95. The last time we beat that Newton Heath lot at VP.

In the league.

We beat them 3-0 in 99 in the league cup.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »
I got my first real six string.
Bought it from Woolworth's.
Played it till my mum threw it in the bin

Met some guys on the dole,sniffed glue and we smoked some weed......

Im quite embarrassed that i actually know the words to the original.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »
I am embarrassed to know Damon who does as well!

All things considered I am as happy as a pig in shit and delighted about our signings.

They must have been in the offing for some time and Lambert and his team must have a plan. Which included us staying up.

Hats off.

Whisper it quietly but I reckon we have a good 'un.

Offline Boz

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:41:13 AM »
Have to give Lambert his due, identified his targets and gone out and got them early. They all look to be shrewd signings, and PL is looking to be an astute manager, who while living within a tight budget regime is building a squad that seems to have great potential and can develop together. They may not all work out as good as Benteke, but these players are generating a real feel good factor, so different to the last few managers.

Next season could be a cracker, and we're due one.  ;D  ;D

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
The way the league was last season there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be targetting 8th spot in the upcoming campaign. There'll be another eight clubs thinking the same it's a case of being the best of the rest. Anything higher than that would require Everton or Liverpool to have an absolute disaster and i can't see that happening in the next twelve months. We'll take a few hidings but we'll also dish a few out and at least alonmg the way we'll play good football. Towards the end of the season the football we were  treated to was as good as it's been in years in my opinion. The likes of Westwood and Lowton really started looking like Premier league footballers and I expect Westwood in particular to be involved with England by the end of 2013/14. Benteke would be a massive loss should he leave but I don't see it being as massive of a loss as some are predicting.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 09:02:06 AM »
The way the league was last season there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be targetting 8th spot in the upcoming campaign. There'll be another eight clubs thinking the same it's a case of being the best of the rest. Anything higher than that would require Everton or Liverpool to have an absolute disaster and i can't see that happening in the next twelve months. We'll take a few hidings but we'll also dish a few out and at least alonmg the way we'll play good football. Towards the end of the season the football we were  treated to was as good as it's been in years in my opinion. The likes of Westwood and Lowton really started looking like Premier league footballers and I expect Westwood in particular to be involved with England by the end of 2013/14. Benteke would be a massive loss should he leave but I don't see it being as massive of a loss as some are predicting.

I have been saying this for a while now, never seems to waste the ball and always looks comfortable on it too, now if he can add a few goals....

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »

I have been saying this for a while now, never seems to waste the ball and always looks comfortable on it too, now if he can add a few goals....

I hope he doesn't. His performances and quality have been under the radar so far and long may it continue.

We'll see how Everton do in the transfer market, but I think they are going to lose Fellaini at the very least. The fact that Martinez will only be able to get the team going in March, should see them fall into the pack. I also expect Liverpool to push on and make it the 'Sky 6'.

Of the rest of the teams, there is no one I would look at think we should not finish ahead of. At the same time, there is still a lot of transfers to be made, so I imagine come August, there will be a lot of clubs' fans having the same conversation.

Definitely exciting though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal