collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What's your view on Paul Faulkner now?  (Read 25142 times)

Offline Ryu

Re: What's your view on Paul Faulkner now?
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
... Now, maybe PF was at least partly responsible for the whole Mcleish debacle but I found it strange that so many people seemed to KNOW it was all the chief executive's fault, along with any other things going wrong at the time.  And it's a theme with fans of other clubs. 
Interesting. Conventional wisdom is that Lerner met TSM and liked the cut of his jib, went off on his 'plane to meet said TSM and persuaded him to join the Villa.
I didn't really see PF as the problem on that decision, although he could have more vociferously argued against it, if indeed Lerner was the real driver behind it.

Well, maybe you know more about it than I do.  I don't claim to have any inside knowledge at what goes on at Villa.  But I did notice that the internet anger at PF seemed to stem from around this point.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
In my organisations we don't expect the Chief Exec to know how the IT systems work or put together training courses or micro manage those who do the work on the front line. They're there to set a strategic direction and ensure that those reporting directly to them are all signed up to that vision.

That's how I see Faulkner's role. I think there have been two major mistakes. Firstly, not being prepared for when MON walked out; whatever our opinions of that act some sort of succession planning should have been in place as it was clear that the relationship was deteriorating. Secondly, the inexplicable decision to appoint McLeish, that might not have been entirely down to him but it was a massive error so he has to take some of the blame.

What has happened in the past 18 months suggests that he's learned on the job and the club currently seems to be in a good place, with everyone working in the same direction. My only worry is, with this being Villa, that we'll find a way to fuck it up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:54:07 PM by Chris Smith »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »

We now appear to be a club who have learnt from mistakes and really look like we are moving forward

Agreed, just a shame there was so much learning material in the first place.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2013, 02:39:09 PM »

My only worry is, with this being Villa, that we'll find a way to fuck it up.

A tortured and tormented Villa fan talks

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »

My only worry is, with this being Villa, that we'll find a way to fuck it up.

A tortured and tormented Villa fan talks

An unshakable faith in disappointment, that's what following this club brings.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »

We now appear to be a club who have learnt from mistakes and really look like we are moving forward

Agreed, just a shame there was so much learning material in the first place.

Aye. 

I'd tend to think that a club of Villa's size is too big for a YTS Chief Exec to learn on the job, and some of the mess we have got into in recent years is because of that. Though I'm sure Paul Faulkner is a thoroughly smashing chap.

One of the things that caught the imagination when RL first came in was bringing in heavy hitters like Bob Kain and Richard Fitzgerald from IMG.   It looked like we had an owner who got that this was a serious business. Unlike Herbert, who tended to appoint lackeys and yes men to administrative roles.  That was the perception, at least.  Perhaps unfair to some of the staff who were known to stand up to Doug on occasion.

Our downward curve seems to coincide with Paul Faulkner - a young Personnel Manager at MBNA- taking on a job too big for him.  Again, that might be unfair.   But it seemed like an appointment more in keeping with the Herbert years than the initial positive, go-ahead period of Lerner's ownership.   

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2013, 04:32:05 AM »
He's getting better.

Offline nigel

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »
Why dont we just give credit where is due ......

Sponsorship deal sorted .....
New kit out a second year running in time for holidays
New signings done before pre season commences
Contracts sorted for the players who deserved them
CB matter dealt with in professional manner

If we just go back say 4 years none of the above would have happened

Lets hope there are still a couple of signings to come - but lets give praise where its due

Well done PF RL PL

Agree

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
Just voted onto the FA International Committee, clearly highly regarded at the FA.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3327532,00.html

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
Paul Faulkner: "I think we’re very happy with the players we’ve brought in and the contracts we have extended."

Aston Villa interview: Paul Faulkner says the club are pleased with the summer transfer dealings

Aston Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner has expressed his satisfaction with the claret and blues’ transfer business so far this summer.

Six new players have arrived at Bodymoor Heath, while Villa have also signed up half-a-dozen first teamers, including Christian Benteke, on extended contracts.

Faulkner is relishing the big-kick off at Arsenal on August 17 but confirmed “there’s a lot more work still to do” on both the football and non-playing side of the club before then.

Villa are concentrating their efforts on moving out up to seven surplus players – Darren Bent, Stephen Ireland, Alan Hutton, Shay Given, Barry Bannan, Nathan Delfouneso and Enda Stevens – and it is believed there could be scope for another couple of arrivals.

At Villa Park, groundstaff are busily readying the pitch for the showpiece friendly against Malaga on August 10, while work improving the broadcasting infrastructure at the stadium as part of the new Sky and BT Sport TV deals is also gathering pace.

Aleksandar Tonev, Leandro Bacuna, Jores Okore, Nicklas Helenius, Antonio Luna and Jed Steer are settling into the squad, while Benteke, Andi Weimann, Matt Lowton, Ashley Westwood, Brad Guzan, Nathan Baker and Ciaran Clark have agreed new deals.

On Villa’s transfer business, Faulkner said: “It’s still only July and I think we’re very happy with the players we’ve brought in and the players whose contracts we have extended.

“It allows us to then really go into the season feeling we’ve got our squad nicely balanced and shaped.

“We’ve done an awful lot in pre season so far and there’s a lot more work still to do – it never stops.

‘‘But we’re working well together and we’re looking forward to the challenges ahead.”

Randy Lerner bought Villa in 2006 and he and Faulkner are relishing starting the latest campaign at the club.

“I think this will be the eighth full season now and it has gone very quickly,” added Faulkner.

“We’re looking forward to it. Every time the players come back you can see the new training wear and new kits and you get the fixtures out.

“It doesn’t take long since the last season finished before the appetite is whetted and you’re raring to go again.

“I can’t wait for the Arsenal game now and for the season to start. We’ve got a good record down there, there’s no reason why we can’t go and give them a good game.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-interview-paul-faulkner-5317869?

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
Just thought I'd bump this one, as it seems to have been overlooked that there's already a Paul Faulkner thread.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
He is doing a live chat again on the Villa website now, he mentions the lime green kit is our 3rd this season.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
Surely he said more of interest than "We're the Villa, we glow in the dark''?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal