collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by LeeB
[Today at 09:54:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cheerio and current squad  (Read 14691 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Cheerio and current squad
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 02:25:22 AM »
Even so, he won't be going without us taking a massive haircut (no offence to the weavy bald twat).

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »
God its depressing to think Ireland is only 26 - what a waste that someone with obvious talent is a complete write-off. Club would be best not giving him a squad number, live with the fact we're paying him for one more season and then let him go. I honestly think the club would let him go on a free if someone would pay his wages but i'm not hopeful. Given we might as well use as back-up if we can't shift him. At least he has some purpose. Hutton. I'm not sure he's that bad apart from the hospital tackling at times - seemed to be trying too hard at one point and became rather an anti-mascot for the anti-TSM lot. He's an average premiership defender and i could imagine a club taking a punt on him for a reduced fee.

Of the rest, N'zogbia i'd like to see leave. Just not consistent enough and for what we paid probably the biggest transfer disaster of the post-MON era. Whats the point of a player who plays ok once every 15 games? Bent, again wages will be the sticking point to getting him off the books. I'm still convinced he can do a job but there's obviously some sort of issue with him and Lambert.

Overall, still a very weak squad apart from up front to my mind, but hopefully we're going to rectify that in the coming weeks

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 07:31:13 AM »
I just don't agree n'zogbia has been as bad as people say. In the last third of the season he was crucial in games v: west ham, QPR, Fulham, Everton, west brom.

He's contributed more in those games than Holman did all season and albrighton has done in the last 2 1/2 years combined. I dare say in a strict goals and assists basis he probably contributed more than Weimann since January? Certainly on a per minute basis.

That's not to say I wouldn't want someone who can play the no 10 role without also giving us more shape and stability.

But There's plenty more to sell before we reach n'zogbia I think.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
I just don't agree n'zogbia has been as bad as people say. In the last third of the season he was crucial in games v: west ham, QPR, Fulham, Everton, west brom.

He's contributed more in those games than Holman did all season and albrighton has done in the last 2 1/2 years combined. I dare say in a strict goals and assists basis he probably contributed more than Weimann since January? Certainly on a per minute basis.

That's not to say I wouldn't want someone who can play the no 10 role without also giving us more shape and stability.

But There's plenty more to sell before we reach n'zogbia I think.

He was better I agree, but for every game you can list where he played well since Christmas you can give a game where he was completely anonymous.  On top of that we were a better team in that period when he wasn't playing.

Like Bent there is a player there who could have been useful for us in a different system but how we play now he isn't worth what we paid to buy him or what he's being paid to stay.  For that reason if there is an offer to get him off the wage bill and get back £5-6m we should, and probably will, take it.  The good thing is I can see 2-3 clubs being interested.  I expect him and Bent to be fairly easy to offload and to bring in around 15m between them, still a big loss but better than writing them off completely.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
If we're going to play N'Zogbia, he needs to play as part of a front three with a midfield three behind him. When he was on the pitch with Weimann Gabby and Benteke, it left us very short in the middle. Personally i don't think he's done enough so far in the time he's been here.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
I thought it was a bit harsh that NZogbia lost his spot, he was playing really well and got dropped for no reason. He did then struggle to get back into the side as everyone else was doing so well and he wasnt when coming on from the bench.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:22 AM »
I thought it was a bit harsh that NZogbia lost his spot, he was playing really well and got dropped for no reason. He did then struggle to get back into the side as everyone else was doing so well and he wasnt when coming on from the bench.

We played better after he was dropped, so that is the reason.

The problem is you have to give him a free role to get anything out of him.  Our shape with 3 up front means he could only have that free role playing in one of those 3 spots, if he plays behind we look short on numbers in the middle.  If he'd be happy playing wide left or wide right it'd be fine but he wants to be central.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
Think its important that the young-uns who have been offered new contracts,are loaned out to clubs who play at a fairly high standard and a style of football that is beneficial to us. Maybe even abroad.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
God its depressing to think Ireland is only 26 - what a waste that someone with obvious talent is a complete write-off. Club would be best not giving him a squad number, live with the fact we're paying him for one more season and then let him go. I honestly think the club would let him go on a free if someone would pay his wages but i'm not hopeful. Given we might as well use as back-up if we can't shift him. At least he has some purpose. Hutton. I'm not sure he's that bad apart from the hospital tackling at times - seemed to be trying too hard at one point and became rather an anti-mascot for the anti-TSM lot. He's an average premiership defender and i could imagine a club taking a punt on him for a reduced fee.

Of the rest, N'zogbia i'd like to see leave. Just not consistent enough and for what we paid probably the biggest transfer disaster of the post-MON era. Whats the point of a player who plays ok once every 15 games? Bent, again wages will be the sticking point to getting him off the books. I'm still convinced he can do a job but there's obviously some sort of issue with him and Lambert.

Overall, still a very weak squad apart from up front to my mind, but hopefully we're going to rectify that in the coming weeks

I disagree on Hutton.  The problem is that he's very average in most aspects but then tackles like an idiot on top of it.  He was the definition of a TSM player, fairly steady, does his job ok but with no flair or excitement.  Holman is similar.  We'd have ended up with a squad full of them if TSM was still here.  Not bad players but not good either, and very dull.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
The legacy of the high wages of the "unwanted few " is what it is.  I am sure the club is aware of this.  I don't see this as a massive to problem to PL.  The wage bill has been cut massively and the TV money goes up next season. 

It shouldn't stop PL bringing in 3/4 decent PL type signings this summer.

Had my doubts about PL originally . But he can't be that stupid not to bring in some decent defenders???

Don't know about that. I'm thinking Lambert will be looking at vlaar now as the "seasoned veteran" and bringing in a new, green defender from somewhere as back up to vlaar and baker.

Offline midnite

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
Well, how it happens kind of is the point - what I meant was, the figures might be hard to work with, as per Ireland. There's every chance we won't be able to just take a bath and get shot of him.

He could very easily decide to sit out the year for the reasons above, if it makes financial sense for him, especially at his age. What do we then do? We've not got much choice in the matter. That's precisely what has happened with other players in the past.

I don't think we can assume they'll be gone because we want them out at all.

Ireland's a tough one. I get the impression he's not a football man. It's a job for him. He's not one of these players that wants to be on the field week in week out. He could very well be happy sitting on a bench as long as he gets his pay packet. Sitting it out for more money when he goes for a free transfer. Don't think he's the player like say Darren bent who will be saying either play me or sell me on

N'Zogbia I want to see still at the club too. He hasn't been inconsistent. When he's been played in his proper position he's been very good. But he doesn't offer the support defending that gabby and Weimann do
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:01:39 AM by Lambonite »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
Rumors say that Ireland is to be freed of his contract without further payment as soon as he's back from holidays, on the grounds of breach in contract at his end. Without being more specific *cough*abuse of dr*cough*.

It's one thing after another with this twat.

I mean despite them charging to sign pass ports and spending most of the week on medical industry jollies or the golf course, it's still not on abusing your GP.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
I quite like N'Zogbia, and still think he's probably got something to offer. That said, if he goes and we get a decent transfer fee, plus the loss of his wages, and we are then able to buy a replacement who is just as effective and at half the cost, well, that sounds like decent business to me.

No idea who that replacement might be, mind. But I imagine N'Zogbia's wages would be tempting to, say, Younes Belhanda.

Offline midnite

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
It would be a nice get out of jail card for the club if they want to get rid of Ireland and he really has been a naughty boy.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »
It would be a convenient escape for us.

Either way, I think it looks like Ireland is not going to be any kind of use for us, and so although it's plenty of money to do so I'd say the club would be best served paying up his contract and getting him off the books.

Easily Faulkner's worst signing ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal