collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:35:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:39 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:30:00 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by brontebilly
[Today at 12:27:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:00:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[April 16, 2024, 11:52:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[April 16, 2024, 11:51:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pat McMahon
[April 16, 2024, 11:44:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cheerio and current squad  (Read 14718 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Cheerio and current squad
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »
I think that squad list is a lot more interesting than it first appears.

28 players.
Lichaj is an error
Seigrist is 21
Carruthers is 20
The rest all have to be registered, and there are 25 places.

So we currently can't buy anyone over 21 without having to sell someone/leave someone out of the squad.

It's a sell to buy situation, the press will have a field day!

I don't think that's true is it? Aren't all homegrown players counted in the same way as under 21 year olds? We've got tons of them.

Nope, you can register 25, up to 17 of which can be trained abroad and the rest have to be home grown.  On top of the 25 you can register as many U21 players as you like, with U21 defined as anyone who doesn't turn 22 until after the 1st of January in that season.  Siegrist, for example, is ok because he's 22 at the end of January.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:36:07 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8858634.stm

Come on guys, think about it...

We can buy who ever we want, you don't have to register every player, we could have a squad of 50 if we want, but just won't be able to play half of them.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »
I think that squad list is a lot more interesting than it first appears.

28 players.
Lichaj is an error
Seigrist is 21
Carruthers is 20
The rest all have to be registered, and there are 25 places.

So we currently can't buy anyone over 21 without having to sell someone/leave someone out of the squad.

It's a sell to buy situation, the press will have a field day!

True, but the registration isnt until September 1st which gives us plenty of time to offload players.
You can then loan any players to lower league after that.
I make 10 players in that list that probably wont be here next season.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »
I cannot for the life of me imagine Ireland and Hutton being here come the end of August. They have been told in no uncertain terms they are no longer part of the club. Bent and Given will be sold to the highest bidder, and Brett Holman I'm also pretty sure will need to find a new home. After that there's a good chance that Enda Stevens will be out on loan or sold. I reckon Fonz might be given another shot.

I'd love it to happen that way, but it sounds extremely rose-tinted to me. It makes no odds if Hutton, Ireland, Given etc have been told they have no future here. We will only get them off our books if someone wants them enough, and they are prepared to go.

Hutton has two years of 40k a week level wages to claim if he wants. Given has three years of even more money, and Ireland has a year of more money than the two of them. I wish it was as easy as telling them to find a move and then away they go, but our recent history shows it is way, way more complicated than that.

In the case of Ireland, he's only 26, he could quite easily rake in the 65k a week for another year - costing us over £3m - and then move on a free, where he'll get both a fat signing on fee and more wages than he would do otherwise (on account of there being no fee) .

Having a history of paying big wages is going to continue to bite us on the arse for a while yet, I suspect, and whichever route gets taken to get shot of those three, it's going to cost us money, whether through paying them off, paying part of their wages once they've moved on, or not getting a sell-on fee for them.

We might shift Hutton on to two more seasons on loan somewhere, which will move some of the wage burden, but he's also a player we stumped up a £4m fee for. Yet more money pissed away.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:31:27 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
The contracts of Graham Burke, Derrick Williams, Michael Drennan, Samir Carruthers and Daniel Johnson are set to expire but all five have been offered extensions.

Worth sending some of these out on loan early next season? Williams played in one of our league games earlier this season and seems to have a taste for it now while Carruthers surely needs to be played some league football?

That said Johnson went to Yeovil and he didn't last long there...

Offline TonyD

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
The legacy of the high wages of the "unwanted few " is what it is.  I am sure the club is aware of this.  I don't see this as a massive to problem to PL.  The wage bill has been cut massively and the TV money goes up next season. 

It shouldn't stop PL bringing in 3/4 decent PL type signings this summer.

Had my doubts about PL originally . But he can't be that stupid not to bring in some decent defenders???

Offline TonyD

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »
In the case of Ireland, he's only 26, he could quite easily rake in the 65k a week for another year - costing us over £3m - and then move on a free, where he'll get both a fat signing on fee and more wages than he would do otherwise (on account of there being no fee) .

Who would want to pay him more wages?????

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »

Not more money than he gets here now, more money than he'd get if he moved with a fee.

That's why it is good for players to leave on a free - there is no fee to pay, so they kerching it through screwing more money out of the buying club in wages, or a signing on fee, or both.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »

It means that a club may pay, for arguments sake, 40K a week if they have to pay £5mill for him. If they get him on a free then they could well pay him £50-60K a week.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »
I cannot for the life of me imagine Ireland and Hutton being here come the end of August. They have been told in no uncertain terms they are no longer part of the club. Bent and Given will be sold to the highest bidder, and Brett Holman I'm also pretty sure will need to find a new home. After that there's a good chance that Enda Stevens will be out on loan or sold. I reckon Fonz might be given another shot.

I'd love it to happen that way, but it sounds extremely rose-tinted to me. It makes no odds if Hutton, Ireland, Given etc have been told they have no future here. We will only get them off our books if someone wants them enough, and they are prepared to go.

Hutton has two years of 40k a week level wages to claim if he wants. Given has three years of even more money, and Ireland has a year of more money than the two of them. I wish it was as easy as telling them to find a move and then away they go, but our recent history shows it is way, way more complicated than that.

Having a history of paying big wages is going to continue to bite us on the arse for a while yet, I suspect, and whichever route gets taken to get shot of those three, it's going to cost us money, whether through paying them off, paying part of their wages once they've moved on, or not getting a sell-on fee for them.

We might shift Hutton on to two more seasons on loan somewhere, which will move some of the wage burden, but he's also a player we stumped up a £4m fee for. Yet more money pissed away.

There's nothing rose tinted about what I said. I don't think any of those players will be here come the end of August. How that happens isn't the point. And at no point did I say we were getting out of this scot free. We'll be taking a bath on a number of those contracts. I'm sure until those contracts have been paid through in whatever capacity it will hurt us financially. So I'm not painting a pretty picture and never intended to. I just don't think physically any of those players will be with us when the window closes which is all I said because like Makoun the club will subsidise their move out of the club.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 11:50:05 PM »
Well, how it happens kind of is the point - what I meant was, the figures might be hard to work with, as per Ireland. There's every chance we won't be able to just take a bath and get shot of him.

He could very easily decide to sit out the year for the reasons above, if it makes financial sense for him, especially at his age. What do we then do? We've not got much choice in the matter. That's precisely what has happened with other players in the past.

I don't think we can assume they'll be gone because we want them out at all.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »
Well, how it happens kind of is the point - what I meant was, the figures might be hard to work with, as per Ireland. There's every chance we won't be able to just take a bath and get shot of him.

He could very easily decide to sit out the year for the reasons above, if it makes financial sense for him, especially at his age. What do we then do? We've not got much choice in the matter. That's precisely what has happened with other players in the past.

I don't think we can assume they'll be gone because we want them out at all.

Sorry it was your rose tinted comment that I took exception to like I somehow was living in some magical make belief world that all of this was going to happen without any difficulty. It came across as rather patronizing. I don't disagree with you that there is the chance that Ireland, as an example is so toxic that whatever we try and do to move him he ends up at the club. I just think that they will do whatever they can to rid themselves of him and the other influences that are negative. Whether that is loan or permanent transfer he's likely knows for a while now he has no future at the club. Now, if he decides to milk it for the next three years and just suck on his bong then what choice do we have? I would find it amazing as a professional that won't want to play somewhere else. I could be wrong.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice if professional pride made players like Ireland seek another challenge even if it meant lower wages?
It's not like he will ever want for money is it?
But no, he'll leech off us doing fuck all until his contract runs out or until we pay him off.

Reasons to hate modern football #3588

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice if professional pride made players like Ireland seek another challenge even if it meant lower wages?
It's not like he will ever want for money is it?
But no, he'll leech off us doing fuck all until his contract runs out or until we pay him off.

Reasons to hate modern football #3588

Couldn't the club just ban pink bentleys from the ground and then sack him on a technicality?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 01:06:14 AM »
Old Sparky will be calling for Mr Ireland soon enough I reckon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal