collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Having A Midfield That Doesn't Score Goals  (Read 9403 times)

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Having A Midfield That Doesn't Score Goals
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »
Agree with this and also agree with the post about our set pieces.

At times it feels like "Oh we've got a free-kick/corner, let's chuck the ball in and see what happens"
(Nothing most of the time)

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
I reckon Vlaar will score a few next season, and if they're anything like the two last season, happy days!

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »

To those suggesting Delph may start scoring next season. Based on what ?

The lad looks like a wreck anywhere near the penalty area. No composure at all

Offline manic-road

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
I'm not so sure a goalscoring midfielder is a priority. With Benteke Weimann and Gabby scoring on a fairly regular basis, by having a midfielder bombing forward as well we will be wide open on the counter and end up letting even more in.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
You can't rely on your strikers always scoring, good teams always have the midfield contributing. It doesn't have to be at the expense of defending.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »
I'm not so sure a goalscoring midfielder is a priority. With Benteke Weimann and Gabby scoring on a fairly regular basis, by having a midfielder bombing forward as well we will be wide open on the counter and end up letting even more in.

You don't need three holding midfielders surely?  At least one must have licence to advance with the other two holding imo.  Anyway Petrov held his position yet still chipped in with a few timely long range specials.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
Despite our good run in the last third of the season, against the better sides we were often too deep and the strikers got isolated.  I think that's why Lambert played N'Zogbia at places like Old Trafford - to bridge the gap between midfield and attack.  Our strikers will score goals, but they need the midfield close to them in order to do that.

That having been said, we do need more goals from the midfield and the rest of the team anyway. 

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
Despite our good run in the last third of the season, against the better sides we were often too deep and the strikers got isolated.  I think that's why Lambert played N'Zogbia at places like Old Trafford - to bridge the gap between midfield and attack.  Our strikers will score goals, but they need the midfield close to them in order to do that.

That having been said, we do need more goals from the midfield and the rest of the team anyway.

i agree with this totally.
And with additions like tonev and whatever else we bring there could be a formation change or at least some flexibility.

Even though have 3 strikers there needs to a midfielder who gets up and supports and offers a goal threat. And i sometimes saw last season the 2 wide strikers were not always in support to the loan big Ben and with westwood in main not waning to go past centre circle half - sure he was instructed - left to Delphi.

Hopefully see more box to box play and a bit of creativity which will lead to more goals all round   

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
I think part of the problem is that we played 4-3-3 towards the end of last season. I think Sylla, Westwood and Delph would be happier individually  playing deeper in a 4-2-1-3. Lambert was forced to play a flatter 3 man midfield due to our defensive weaknesses at full back.
Both Delph and Sylla are capable of getting from box to box but neither of them seem that smart in either penalty area. Delph to be fair got in decent positions towards the end of last season but I do think we need to add a Ian Taylor/Gareth Barry eque player into our squad still. Nzogbia when he plays there makes us far too open.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:04 AM »
Apart from Gerrard, lampard, Michu (frustrated striker) I don't know of many free scoring midfielders, Even manure struggled from midfield last season, I could be wrong of course as this is just off the top of my head

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
Isnt Bale a midfielder?

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »
Apart from Gerrard, lampard, Michu (frustrated striker) I don't know of many free scoring midfielders, Even manure struggled from midfield last season, I could be wrong of course as this is just off the top of my head
As well as Bale, throw in Mata, Carzola and Hazard who all scored more than Gerard

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
Ok next time before I post, I'll think it through, However there aren't that many free scoring midfielders

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
Like Silva you mean? Or Oscar? Arteta? Walcott spends most of his time on the wing. You mean Fellaini then...

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 06:37:12 PM »
There's a bit of a scale between nothing and 10+ a year.  If the whole midfield can contribute 10-15 a year we'll be in a much better place, same for the defence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal