collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mervyn King on Desert Island Discs  (Read 7617 times)

Offline Surrey Villain

Re: Mervyn King on Desert Island Discs
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
Did Mervyn go to Rotterdam?

He didn't actually say, only that it reminded him regularly of the Club's greatest day in Rotterdam in '82.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
Villa fan Mervyn King - outgoing Governor of The Bank Of England - has just been on Desert Island Disks and one of his choices was 'Rotterdam '82' sung by Doug O'Brien. Even Kirsty Young liked it! He said it it was relatively unknown but he plays it wherever he goes and it is very popular.  He is right. I have searched but can't find it. Can anybody?

I was bought that, it was released on cassette. My mum got me it for xmas as she spotted it in the club shop catalogue and assumed it was a commentary of the game, oh how we laughed when we heard the pile of crap that was on the tape.

"We're all going to Rotterdam, each and every Villa fan fsing Villa, Aston Villa...." or something like that.

Offline eastie

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
Just listened to the link purple posted , how sad they only played half the song - dirty bbc scoundrels!

You very rarely get the whole track played on Desert Island Discs.

They played more of it on Desert Island Discs.  It was shortened on iPlayer for copyright reasons or something. Has no-one got access to the  complete track?

I have it on cassette .

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »
It's not on I tunes

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »
It's not on I tunes

No, Sir Mervyn said it had never been released commercially so only a few copies handed around at the time exist.  Shame, I would like one of them.

Offline eastie

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 02:42:36 PM »
It's not on I tunes

No, Sir Mervyn said it had never been released commercially so only a few copies handed around at the time exist.  Shame, I would like one of them.

I remember George Gavin playing it on brmb at the time and asking him about it , next day he sent me a cassette in the post - god lad George!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal