collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Given gone?  (Read 19333 times)

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Given gone?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
we cant afford him on the bench that includes the like of ireland etc too

Be a great goalie for Stoke

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »
Like Dunne, he was carrying an injury at the Euros and really shouldn't have played. Both could easily have been fit for this season and be looking at prolonging their careers with us now.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »
Tough choice in fairness as both in the 30s and given ROI's record, the last major championship they'd play in particularly when you've toiled in all the other unsuccessful qualifying attempts over the previous 10 years.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »
Guzan's remarkable form and command has a lot to do with how Given is perceived. He was very good when he first got here, but his form slumped along with the rest of the players during the season that must never again be mentioned. He also represents a lot of the Villa that we are trying to shed. Not saying that we won't again have high ticket players, but hopefully they will be worth every penny as opposed to now being seen as a massive hole in the club books.

I assume he'll be provided with a sweetener to help him move because nobody is going to pay him as we did for the balance of his career. A bit like Bent, he never had a bad word to say about us, but he needs to play, so good luck to him. I hope he gets to play somewhere we can catch glimpses of what a top keeper he once was.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
Helped keep us up under McLeish, that save at the Borethorns was vital. However, considering his age and wages I would be delighted if he left, but unlike some players he would go with my thanks and best wishes.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
I wish him all the best with his future career. I think the terms given to him, as a 36 year old, increasingly injury prone player were ridiculous but that was hardly his fault. He played well for us in his first season and when he lost his place he hasn't been a disruptive influence and in fact everything I've heard in terms of rumours suggest quite the opposite with him being a good presence around the club. I have no animosity towards him, I'd just be happy to see him leave. I think he'll be happy to leave as well.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »
Fair play that man.

No doubt he'll be adequately compensated but he had us over a barrel with that contract and with his best days behind him, no international place to compete for you could see him taking up a senior role in the reserves and seeing it out.

I do wonder where he'll go though. Suppose one of the newly promoted sides are a possibility. Celtic have a fine young 'keeper. And the rest of this seasons Premier League bottom half seem to be sorted in that position.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
Always liked Shay. Total pro. But yeah best for both parties if he leaves to get the first team football he deserves.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »
It's always a bugger signing a second choice goalie though. I wonder who we'll look at, whether it'll be an obvious number 2 or someone to compete with Guzan. I think the latter, but I suppose it depends on resources.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 06:42:14 PM »
I actually thought the torn groin against Man. United in the December was a turning point.

It's restricted his movement and suddenly some of the shots he was getting to early on (Cabaye which was going into the top corner) he just can't reach anymore.

Don't think he'll leave permanently, I think a season long loan somewhere with wages split is realistic.

Wouldn't be a bad outcome to send him out on loan with a recall option if we can't shift him permanently.  Would be a nice option to have to recall if brad was injured etc.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »
 Hopefully he values playing more than money, and then he might move on and cost us nothing.

Always comes across as a decent bloke, but for the money he is on, i first expect him to be in the first team, and expect him to be one of the best in the league.Hes neither.Good Luck to him, go and get a good young keeper.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »
Helped keep us up under McLeish, that save at the Borethorns was vital. However, considering his age and wages I would be delighted if he left, but unlike some players he would go with my thanks and best wishes.

Wasn't there one camera angle that actually showed the ball was over the line for that?

There was a similar one he did in the 1-1 at Anfield a few weeks before when he saved from someone on the line and one of the replays showed the ball was just over but at that speed very hard for the linesman to be 100%.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
Dunne and Given leaving, there's about £125K a week freed up. Fill your boots Paul.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »

Wasn't there one camera angle that actually showed the ball was over the line for that?

There was a similar one he did in the 1-1 at Anfield a few weeks before when he saved from someone on the line and one of the replays showed the ball was just over but at that speed very hard for the linesman to be 100%.

Nah, it was against the Bitters so was a fantastic save. Never in a million years was it over the line.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal