collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Simon Dawkins  (Read 5941 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Simon Dawkins
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
He'll never be forgotten. One of the greats. Legend.

People will mention him in that same breath as that fella MON bought in.  The African Zidane.  Whathisname.

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »
We were kind enough to give him a few appearences in the Prem. I doubt he'll ever grace this league again. Then again, I said the same thing about Jonathan Hogg and he is a game away from doing just that!
In all fairness to Hoggy, he actually did okay when he played for us. He was very limited, but a lot of us appreciated his tenacity. Similar to Herdy really. Not brilliant, but put himself about a bit.
Hoggy must be younger, or similar in age to Dawkins too. The difference being that Hogg stepped down a league and has worked very hard. Dawkins has had his trouble with injuries, but the MLS is a footballing graveyard. Maybe had he gone to a championship club and developed there, he'd have been closer to being an effective Prem player for us.

But...never mind. We took the punt, it didn't work out. Good luck to the lad. Good luck to Hoggy as well.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
We were kind enough to give him a few appearences in the Prem. I doubt he'll ever grace this league again. Then again, I said the same thing about Jonathan Hogg and he is a game away from doing just that!
In all fairness to Hoggy, he actually did okay when he played for us. He was very limited, but a lot of us appreciated his tenacity.

Had a great game against Man U when we drew 2-2 with them at Villa Park under Houllier.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »

People will mention him in that same breath as that fella MON bought in.  The African Zidane.  Whathisname.
People bandy the epithet 'legend' around all too easily these days. But not in the case of ol' Dawko. I still can't believe he's gone.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »
could do a job for Cov or Wolves

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
In all fairness to Hoggy, he actually did okay when he played for us. He was very limited, but a lot of us appreciated his tenacity.

Had a great game against Man U when we drew 2-2 with them at Villa Park under Houllier.
I thought that was his only good performance in the first team though. Looked like a fish out of water in the others. Anyway...good luck to him.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »
He looked lively against West Ham but hasn't got into any of the other games when he's come on as sub.

Again odd he was a sub on the last day and came on when he hasn't made the 18 for weeks, Lambert does this a lot with the fringe players.

Still he must be the prem player on the lowest wages I'd imagine.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 09:27:38 PM »
He was less of a waste of space than Stephen Ireland was, and at a fraction of the cost to us.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »

Not as good as JT, of course

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »

They got that all wrong.   Zidane was the French Salifou. 

On a similar theme, David Beckham was the English Ulises De La Cruz.   No higher praise.

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »

I thought that was his only good performance in the first team though. Looked like a fish out of water in the others. Anyway...good luck to him.

I agree re Hogg was never good enough and not prem level. Watford hardly play him so imagine he would nt be part of premiver league plans. Regard dawkins if he's staying UK i think an mk dons would be his level. Ha yeah so wolves too!

Offline supertom

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »

I agree re Hogg was never good enough and not prem level. Watford hardly play him so imagine he would nt be part of premiver league plans. Regard dawkins if he's staying UK i think an mk dons would be his level. Ha yeah so wolves too!
Hogg started most games for Watford in his two seasons so far. I'd expect him to feature significantly if they come up, though Franco will undoubtedly bring in 4-5 players to make the step up.

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the total cost to the club for having Dawkins here was less than £100K. Worth the look for that kind of cost and with no long term commitment required.

Considering I have just read how much Ireland has, and will continue to, cost us, then this is a great bit of business. You have to take a look sometimes as the Premiership is a much different and unforgiving league. It didn't work out as well as we would all have liked so thanks for coming and good luck.

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 12:38:33 AM »
Lets close this worthless thread now Dawkins is off. Was never one of ours good luck to where he  goes next. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal