collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ireland's contract  (Read 32380 times)

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
Re: Ireland's contract
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
Ireland is one of those players where I don't think he'll be too difficult to shift. Dunne maybe but not Ireland. hes got the talent he just never applies it, theres always a manager that will be determined he'll be able to manage him and get the most out of him and take that gamble.

If there's a club always willing to give Barton a chance then anything is possible!

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
The difference being that Barton, while a gobby little thug, is still a hard worker and probably takes little motivating.

Incidentally, the Marseille fans have quite taken to him. Although that probably says more about them than it does about him...

Offline midnite

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »
That'll be the French accent. They think he's one of them ;-)

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »
The difference being that Barton, while a gobby little thug, is still a hard worker and probably takes little motivating.

Incidentally, the Marseille fans have quite taken to him. Although that probably says more about them than it does about him...

Hasn't he been liked by the fans in most of the clubs before he's caused the worst problems? Tenacious hard working midfielders are usually liked by the fans.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
Hasn't Ireland's workrate on the training pitch been praised, since he's been with us? You have to wonder why that doesn't translate to playing actual matches... Poor bloke. I was really pleased, when he came but there's been absolutely no point to him being at the Villa for at least a year.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
I don't think it's any co-incidence we've been a better and more together looking side since he stopped being included in any of the matchday squads.

We could pay the wages of two promsing youngsters from the lower leagues with the wages he's most likely taking home.

Offline midnite

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
I'd say longer than a year. You see snippets of what he's capable of then he disappears for the rest of the match. I was one of those in favour of Ireland when the deal was done. Seeing the potential that the player has. Be its impossible to argue against that he's been a complete waste of a villa shirt. With our current model and wage structure he earns the equivalent of Westwood, syilla, lowton and possibly Weimann combined.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
Ireland is one of those players where I don't think he'll be too difficult to shift. Dunne maybe but not Ireland. hes got the talent he just never applies it, theres always a manager that will be determined he'll be able to manage him and get the most out of him and take that gamble.

If there's a club always willing to give Barton a chance then anything is possible!

Dunne's out of contract, so should be fairly easy to give the boot.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
Hasn't Ireland's workrate on the training pitch been praised, since he's been with us? You have to wonder why that doesn't translate to playing actual matches... Poor bloke. I was really pleased, when he came but there's been absolutely no point to him being at the Villa for at least a year.

To be honest I have never understood all the Ireland bashing this year. I think he worked hard when he came into the side. He's just lost the player he was and it's quite sad for the bloke that he'll probably never get that player back. Lambert probably persisted with him for so long thinking game time would unlock the player that we knew before at Citeh but it's clearly never happened. He needs a championship club to try and turn his career around asap before it's too late. I can't see him wanting to rot away not playing for another year.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
The Bradford game was a last-chance it seems looking at it now. A bold and brave decision by Lambert...which utterly failed sadly. I still maintain that signing Ireland whilst we had no manager was the worst decision ever made under the Lerner regime. Yes, even worse then THAT decision!

To be fair I along with many others was quite excited when we initially signed him, don't think THAT decision got anyone excited.

Same here - I had high hopes for Ireland, but he's made a right pig's ear of it.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 10:12:48 AM »
The Bradford game was a last-chance it seems looking at it now. A bold and brave decision by Lambert...which utterly failed sadly. I still maintain that signing Ireland whilst we had no manager was the worst decision ever made under the Lerner regime. Yes, even worse then THAT decision!

To be fair I along with many others was quite excited when we initially signed him, don't think THAT decision got anyone excited.

Same here - I had high hopes for Ireland, but he's made a right pig's ear of it.

I thought he would do well. The problem is he works his nads off one week, then looks totally disinterested the next. Passes great one week, then so lazily the next it could go anywhere. I don't think it is an attitude thing though, or that he is a bad bloke, or a bad apple. I just think that he is not good enough consistently to cope in a premier league midfield, and carries no goal threat playing behind the forward. He needs a manager to love him and build a side around him. QPR would be a good move under Redknapp in the Championship were he willing to take the pay cut. I think a loan until his deal runs out is the most likely outcome.

Offline midnite

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »

Dunne's out of contract, so should be fairly easy to give the boot.

Oh yeah, I forgot he was out of contract.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »
MLS is a good call Ozzjim, hopefully one of the clubs here will take a chance on him because I can't imagine anyone in England (who can afford him) touching him.

Agreed , especially as the Blue Eyed Sheikhs of ManCiteh  are reputedly setting up a new Club in New York ......hey , maybe we can get rid of Bent ( unfortunately ) Ireland & Podger Dunne ...all in one swowl foop ? .......Godzvilla!

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »
I bet someone like Cardiff coming in for him

Offline supertom

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »
Is Ireland that bothered about playing football? I don't see him having too much motivation to be honest. He's got talent but not the desire. I think he likes the lifestyle more so than actually playing the game now, which is a shame. Look at his international career. He could have been a star for the national team but in the end he just couldn't be bothered.
I think he's happier in shisha lounges than he is really trying to do something on the pitch.
I'm not sure it's even a lack of effort on his part, more a case of going through the motions. What you could say for Emile Heskey for example is that despite not having a natural footballing gift, he applied himself and worked very hard, and always seemed to enjoy playing.
I would say perhaps that Joe Cole is a lazier player than Ireland. The difference is that Cole really seems to enjoy playing football. Granted he's been bobbins in the top flight since leaving Chelsea, but that's another matter.

That said, I also think many people overrate Irelands "talent." He has some ability and had 6 really good months in an erratic City side. He's not got enough in his locker to ever be more than an okay Premiership midfielder. He just doesn't have the motivation.
He could go and coast in the MLS, look fairly decent, pick up his money, lounge in the sun etc. In fairness he's never shirked the off pitch responsibilities like visiting the kids hospitals etc. Genuinely he seems to enjoy it. But again, it doesn't seem to me like he really enjoys playing football that much.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal