collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Which Reserve/Youth players should be promoted next season?  (Read 5562 times)

Offline Hoppo

Re: Which Reserve/Youth players should be promoted next season?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
Devine had been released. We HAVE to use the loan system properly. Carruthers should have been on loan by now. Johnson at Yeovil just didn't work. Burke needs a season loan maybe Swindon. Williams, Siegrist, Gardner need to be 1st team squad. Donacien another who needs a loan. The likes of Grealish, Graham, Robinson, Webb, Lewis and Kinsella need to play regularly in Under 21 league.

Offline levico

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
Let's hope that Gardner can keep injury free and continue his development with the first team squad.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »
How in the hell do you know that Burke will never be more than a journeyman? He's bleeding 19!!

Ive watched him six or seven times in full games. Just my opinion. Yours is different. I hope you are right.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
How in the hell do you know that Burke will never be more than a journeyman? He's bleeding 19!!

Ive watched him six or seven times in full games. Just my opinion. Yours is different. I hope you are right.

I don't have an opinion because there's nothing to form an opinion on. He's never played a full game for the first team yet you've deemed him a journeyman based on a handful of games at youth level. I find that rather bizarre.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »
Gardner, Carruthers and Grealish.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
Jack Grealish was in with Villa fans at Wigan loving the atmosphere.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »
I think Gardner is already a confirmed member of the first team squad. He was involved before his Cruciate and he was involved as soon as he was fit to play a part again.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:41:12 PM by OCD »

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
Most of the better players usually have a few games under their belt at that age.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
I remember Gabby went out on loan and didn't have too great a time but he's done alright for himselg.

Bannan and Delfenouso too but can't see them having the career Gabby has had up to now.

Not saying being on loan is a bad thing, for some reason it doesn't always work out.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »
Most of the better players usually have a few games under their belt at that age.

Only world class one's. Not sure just how much you expect of him.

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 10:56:43 PM »
I think a lot of our youngsters (especially from the nextgen squad, but not exclusively) would benefit from a loan out, even if it's just half a season. Personally, I would try to use them as sweeteners in transfer deals with clubs like Burnley or Crewe for example whereby we're offering them a replacement for the player we're trying to get so they'd be more inclined to release our target to us rather than elsewhere and do so more quickly.
Just a thought, what do you think?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »

Not really. Very few make their debuts and are immediately the player of their potential. Most players mature with a bit of experience. It is also often a case of being in the right situation or system. Finally a massive intangible becomes the player himself and his mental capacity to succeed. All of this needs to come together. We shouldn't be judging Burke or any of these academy kids too soon and expecting too much. There is certainly no correlation between having played in the first team at 18 or 19 and becoming a top player. Players develop at different rates all over the world and only the truly exceptional are that way from a very early age. There is no body of work to determine either way how Burke, Grealish, Gardner etc will eventually pan out.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:35:00 AM by Toronto Villa »

Online tomd2103

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 01:45:45 AM »
I was surprised that Carruthers didn't get a chance this season. I thought he looked decent in short glimpses we saw him last season and thought that he might feature more. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »
I wonder if Carruthers has upset Lambert? It does seem strange as he impressed me in his few appearances last season but didn't get a sniff this one.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 02:20:38 AM »
Someone in an earlier post said Carruthers is a bit of a 'big head' and I wouldn't be suprised if it is something to do with that. Especially considering how much emphasis Lambert places on a player having the right attitude. A real shame as I thought he looked class in the NextGen final.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal